It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

West Virginia governor invites Virginia counties to secede

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

umm you do realize vigina is mostly blue and west virginia is mostly red right?

www.nbcnews.com...

In the 1992 presidential election, Democrat Bill Clinton won West Virginia by a solid 13 percentage points. In November, Republican President-elect Donald Trump captured the state in a walk — winning it by more than 40 percentage points. The forces behind that turnaround are complex. The decline of the coal industry and the changing demographics of the political parties explain part of it. But underneath that are the peaks and valleys of the Appalachian Mountains that make West Virginia what it is: picturesque, resource-rich and remote.
so this would be a less populous blue state and more red going into well a red state . by the way new jersey is looking like it might go from blue to red in 2020 but when have you ever let facts and reality get in the way of things

and with your teams guy switching to team red ......

www.northjersey.com... who-thinks-he-can-turn-new-jersey-red-2020%2F2270292001%2F

www.washingtontimes.com...

Her fellow co-director Tracey Lore believes that New Jersey voters — including those uneasy Republicans who did not vote in 2016 — have had a change of heart. “Yes, people didn’t vote back then. Now President Trump is motivating the base with optimistic messages and clear, positive results from his decisions made in office. The people are seeing that. They also are supporting Trump because they don’t want the state of New Jersey to become the East Coast version of California,” Ms. Lore told Inside The Beltway.
so there is also this

www.politico.com... politico article from last november

Under the leadership of Democratic Gov. Phil Murphy, an unabashed liberal who canvassed the state and appeared in $2 million worth of ads during the closing days of the campaign promoting his agenda, New Jersey Democrats lost at least three legislative seats despite massively outspending Republicans. For a party that has seen its numbers and influence in Trenton shrink in recent years, the gains were the first in a decade and the first time Republicans have picked up more than one seat in an Assembly election since they won a massive anti-tax landslide in 1991. It was also the first time they gained a seat in the state Senate since 2007. “We made the ‘Murphy Midterms’ a rallying cry,” GOP State Chairman Doug Steinhardt said in a phone interview Wednesday, referring to the label he and other Republicans attached to the election. “I think people perked up and have started to listen.” Republicans managed to blunt the effect of anti-Trump sentiment in the state’s suburban districts near New York City and Philadelphia, criticizing his inflammatory rhetoric, if not his policies. Assemblyman Ryan Peters (R-Burlington) in a January 2019 Facebook video said he didn’t blame U.S. Rep. Rashida Tlaib for calling President Donald Trump a “mother#er” because she was “merely following the path of President Trump, who’s a master of the name game, who constantly puts an insulting adjective before everybody’s first name.”
so i hope it goes deep red as it will be extra funny seeing how you react to now living in a red state in trumps America in 2020

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I am a native Mountaineer.

West Virginia was created, because they felt that Richmond no longer represented their interests. That is exactly what is happening in Virginia now... Many Viginians now feel as though Richmond is not representing their interests.

I welcome the call. If the Government in Richmond passes draconian gun laws, you can bet your arse that many Virginia counties will see this, as a possible recourse.

"Mountaineers are always free"

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I would like to see this happen all over the country. I wonder how many of the big liberal cesspool cities would become their own city states as every other country in every state divested themselves of the big city progressive stupidity.
edit on 2020/1/29 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

It sure would be nice if we could get away from Madison and Milwaukee's political b.s. here in Wisconsin, however there's nowhere for us to secede to.
Minnesota's no good (politically) and Michigan's not much better.

Illinois isn't even a consideration.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: Notoneofyou

This is terrific! One less red state for New Jersey citizens to send their tax dollars to!!

New Jersey? That cesspool of corruption and crime? I can't think of a worse place in the US to raise a family. I won't even drive through that hell hole of a state.

What are you talking about! New Jersey is renown for having the most ethical and law abiding politicians in the country. Take Trump for example.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

There is only one good thing West Virginia has ever inspired:

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 09:44 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Iowa is a swing state. Rural Wisconsin could put it over.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
I am a native Mountaineer.

West Virginia was created, because they felt that Richmond no longer represented their interests. That is exactly what is happening in Virginia now... Many Viginians now feel as though Richmond is not representing their interests.

I welcome the call. If the Government in Richmond passes draconian gun laws, you can bet your arse that many Virginia counties will see this, as a possible recourse.

"Mountaineers are always free"

I am a proud Mountaineer! I stand shoulder-to-shoulder with my fellow West Virginian's.

It amazes me the insults that are flying in this thread... people talking about people that they do not know.

Most West Virginians are true salt of the earth. We fight for one another and we helped one another. We don't ask each other what political party we belong to nor do we pay attention to any part of identity politics.

We are now putting out an honest call to Virginia that we stand with them as the government removes their rights. West Virginia will again stand up to the government when necessary!

edit on 1/30/2020 by Martin75 because: I bleed blue & gold

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Admitted
What kind of governor promotes secession? Oh, yeah, one pandering to a base of people to maintain his position of power.

Agreed.

West Virginian here. Our governor also flip-flopped from Republican, to Democrat, and back to Republican to get into power here. Jim Justice will say and do anything. He's best ignored.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I keep going back to that uranium mine that was brought into the supreme court and decided on I think last year? The supreme court ruled that virginia had the right to ban uranium mining in the state. I believe the mine they wanted to open would have been in pittsylvania county.
The trump administration sided with the mining company and argued that that it was in the federal govts domain to decide what kind of mines could be opened in Virginia. Luckily, the supreme court saw otherwise.
But, by what I understand, west virginia ain't that picky when it comes to mining and if they could con pittsylvania and a few adjoining counties into buying into this nonsense, that mining company would probably get their uranium mine. By the map I was looking at, it looks like the roanoke river along with another river that feeds into the roanoke river are rather close to that site from there the water flows through one or two more counties in Virginia before crossing into north Carolina where it makes it's way to the ocean. Anyone living close to the river might want to watch what happens with this. Because, well, I dont think west virginia is that picky when it comes to their mines.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 04:12 PM
link   

This is terrific! One less red state for New Jersey citizens to send their tax dollars to!!

You could just demand lower taxes too.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Admitted
We ought to just completely dissolve America into a bunch of R and D city-states and give up on this country.

What kind of governor promotes secession? Oh, yeah, one pandering to a base of people to maintain his position of power.

Well, the kind where they are trying to protect constitutional rights from fascists.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I would like to see this happen all over the country. I wonder how many of the big liberal cesspool cities would become their own city states as every other country in every state divested themselves of the big city progressive stupidity.

How can we make this 'a thing?'

Seriously.

AMEN!

If this happened in Marxifornicatia, I'd laugh & rejoice for years. Or Antifa-regon? LOLOLOLOL

Even Marxitonia is ripe to have a geographic 2/3 to 3/4ths the state go with Spokane & leave Seattle cesspool to itself.

I'd love to see some hot shot organizers work on this to success.

Not much could put the 'fear of God' into the liberal idiots but this could. LOLOL.

We might have to schedule daily "exploding heads" ceremonies.

THEN start talking about building walls around those cities. LOLOLOL. Exploding heads would be too mild a description for the results.

What a great day-dream fantasy you triggered. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Go ahead. If the secede, then they essentially become their own country surrounded by a much larger country. America will just over run it, take it back over and install a Government that is more responsible, less suicidal and that observes the Constitution as was intended. We actually need Virginia, California and New York, all to do this. PLEASE DO THIS.
edit on 30-1-2020 by IlluminatiTechnician because: he felt like it.

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 12:06 AM
link   

a reply to: madmac5150

There is only one good thing West Virginia has ever inspired:

Clearly you have never had moonshine. Mountain boys have a history of good homemade liquor. WVA, KY TN NC SC GA MS and I am sure all sorts of people know about those secret recipes like on the Walton's back in the day. It has become normal to see Moonshine where fine Liquors are sold...I have been able to muster a nip or two for special occasions of the legal variety. From PGA to some fairly decent tasting hooch that is an art.

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
As bad as things are... I still don't want my county to go to West VA.

I like our roads and functioning infrastructure.

I'll roll the dice and let the next round of elections sort things out.

But think of the meth problem you could get in return.

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454
You could just demand lower taxes too.

Except the Federal Government has never spent less so it doesn't really matter if we ask them to tax us less, they've already spent that money.

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 05:58 AM
link   

This would be a terrible move on the part of Virginia counties. They would be paying higher taxes for worse education, infrastructure, etc. And that's before you start taking into account WV's more "colorful" problems. Frederick County actually just voted not to become part of WV, mainly due to factors like these.

I say this as someone who lived their whole life in Virginia until moving to West Virginia six months ago.

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
As bad as things are... I still don't want my county to go to West VA.

I like our roads and functioning infrastructure.

I'll roll the dice and let the next round of elections sort things out.

But think of the meth problem you could get in return.

And opiate problem.

Part of me feels bad joking about it or giving them a hard time. It used to be a state with salt of the earth people with a pretty successful towns from coal (whole nuanced subject of its own).

I also feel bad because I'm humoring getting a cabin out in the boonies there since land is cheap and it's stunningly gorgeous there.

I just don't want to live day to day under a state government that has proven to be inept.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join