It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corona Virus Updates

page: 53
<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
a reply to: ketsuko

Thanks.
I had assumed with a person currently fighting a common flu...the body's immune system was already ramped up to present a more vigorous resistance to new infection.

Now that might be possible. On the converse, you worry that the person in question might be too physically tapped out to survive another, worse disease.

And a vigorous immune response is what kills in some cases. Your own immune system goes overboard on inflammatory response and creates the conditions that kill you.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Medical question for medical types...
Will individuals currently fighting another variety of flu have more or less resistance to this particular CV?

Hi, I aced Pharmacology finals back in the good ol' days.
It's a tough question nobody can answer as we're not sure how this specific virus interacts with other viruses.
Some viral infections inhibit others, some favour them. My assumption here would be that if you are otherwise a healthy/strong individual you would have more "resistance" to this particular CV, given that your immune system has already kicked in because of the influenza you're suffering from. So then, it takes less time for IgA and other immunoglobulins to start the fight against the new virus.
But again, it's a complex issue and a fairly complicated biochemistry...

There is no clear answer to this question.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   
The Prediction Table is holding up very well.

As of 1/26/20 we have 2,803 confirmed cases (Predicted 2,350) and 80 deaths (Predicted 48).

bnonews.com...

Remember at this rate the prediction is 1,178,144 million deaths by 2/21/20.

edit on 26-1-2020 by celltypespecific because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-1-2020 by celltypespecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Sounds logical. I'll just add from what I read is that you're still susceptible even if you previously had SARS or MERS or the weaker Coronaviruses. Right, it all comes down to your immune system defense.

link   

originally posted by: EndtheMadnessNow
A view from a different lens.
Corona Virus uses the same tactic as ClimateChange.
1. Create a problem
2. Instill fear in the population
3. Offer a solution
4. Demand funding
5. Keep underlying agenda alive by fooling the public.
6. Insane profits

Example:
WuXi in $3bn deal to manufacture 'first of its kind' vaccine
23-May-2019 By Vassia Barba

WuXi (China) Vaccines will build a dedicated manufacturing facility for an unnamed global vaccine leader, under a 20-year contract.

The owners/makers of the masks, gloves, googles are rakin in the dough.

In 2018, the top 40 mining companies generated a net profit of approximately 66 billion U.S. dollars.
$150 million per year for a state of the art vaccine facility is chicken feed in comparison.

link   
Great responses, one and all. TY.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Anyone seen this article circulating? I'm a bit sus on the source, but it is referencing a study from The Lancet...
BREAKING: Coronavirus Hits 15% Fatality Rate, 83% Infection Rate for Those Exposed; Lancet Publishes Early Study That Points to Alarming Consequences for Humanity

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: EndtheMadnessNow

Sounds logical. I'll just add from what I read is that you're still susceptible even if you previously had SARS or MERS or the weaker Coronaviruses. Right, it all comes down to your immune system defense.

Yeah, if you get it, it's the lottery you hope you don't win. What little we know right now suggests most will recover, but it's those significant few that make this really scary.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

The damaged tissue is the issue here, the immune cells combatting the flu don’t have much to do with the CoV. The innate immune cells may be hyper vigilant and the problem with damaged tissue in any organ system is once it’s compromised due to any condition it increases the chances of signaling or an abnormal response. With influenza and especially influenza A along with CoV inhibiting T-cell signaling which can help down regulate an exaggerated immune response I would expect increased chances of a cytokine storm leading to septic shock as a complication of viral pneumonia.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Prof Neil Ferguson, a public health expert at Imperial College, said his “best guess” was that there were 100,000 affected by the virus even though there are only 2,000 confirmed cases so far

www.theguardian.com... n/26/coronavirus-could-infect-100000-globally-experts-warn

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Navieko

Very suspect of the source ...

With 98% showing fever, this means that one out of 50 people infected will show no fever and therefore easily bypass current screening methods that are practiced by health officials.

For example, that statement makes no sense to me. How can 98% show fever of infected show fever but 1 in 50 show no fever?

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Will individuals currently fighting another variety of flu have more or less resistance to this particular CV?

Less.

If your immune system is weakened by the flu and you get a different strain, the IGG/IGM white blood cells won't be "programmed" to fight the new strain.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Navieko

Very suspect of the source ...

With 98% showing fever, this means that one out of 50 people infected will show no fever and therefore easily bypass current screening methods that are practiced by health officials.

For example, that statement makes no sense to me. How can 98% show fever of infected show fever but 1 in 50 show no fever?

Math isn't my strong suit but doesn't 1/50 = 2%? so 98% showing fever leaves 2% or 1 out of 50 not showing fever

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Yes, like a real bad flu not fully understood yet but, it's the pneumonia bonus that freaks me out.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I think of it as a very severe case of the flu and around every flu season everyone ages over 50 gets given a winter flu shot. We get adverts telling us to catch coughs and sneezes and wash there hands and it should strictly apply to this scenario. By keeping transmission levels low it will help lower the risk of contraction.

General rule for flu like symptoms:

Stay indoors and away from others
rest and sleep
keep warm
take paracetamol or ibuprofen to lower your temperature and treat aches and pains
drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration (your pee should be light yellow or clear)

If you feel much worse then seek urgent medical assistance but DO NOT walk straight in to A&E

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Less.

If your immune system is weakened by the flu and you get a different strain, the IGG/IGM white blood cells won't be "programmed" to fight the new strain.

Thanks.
So...cold & flu season is NOT a good time of the year for a catastrophic pandemic.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: deviant300

Now, that is another question - part of what helps cause the runaway immune response is inflammation. What happens if you're taking anti-inflammatories? I'm sort of living on them with my shoulder troubles.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Apparently they aren't allowed to work until Feb 8th... not sure how broad this policy is being applied

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: deviant300

I guess drinking alot of beer would not qualify. Damn!

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Anti inflammatory medications are a public health issue, they increase infection time and the amount of time you shed virus. They also make you feel much better and help us so we don’t burn through paid time off, at my job 2-3 days max or you get a meeting.

They are one of the reasons flu seasons are so active, at least in the states. It’s nothing crazy but you can add days to the course of the disease depending on your health.

ETA: I should probably add because they inhibit inflammatory and pyrogen (fever) signaling.
edit on 26-1-2020 by TheAMEDDDoc because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join