It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boris Johnson asks Queen to suspend Parliament

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   
On my phone just now so forgive me for not adding more of my own commentary on this but this is pretty significant news that is breaking this afternoon

Boris has pulled the trigger and started the process to prorogued parliament adding to the constitutional mess we find ourselves in. Will be interesting to see how this develops

BBC News
edit on 28-8-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Wow she can do that?

Damn that's OP. This is getting interesting. I been following some people active in Northern Irish politics trying to get caught up on what's happening with Brexit. Interesting.

Uranus Taurus revolutions are just starting to kick into gear.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I thought the queen/royalty was just a figurehead position. Apparently not?

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

It’s quite complicated am on my phone just now but she only does it at request of her PM and she just kind of goes with it. Way more to it than that but that’s the jist of it

+21 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
Wow she can do that?

Damn that's OP. This is getting interesting. I been following some people active in Northern Irish politics trying to get caught up on what's happening with Brexit. Interesting.

It happens fairly regularly. Not uncommon at all when a new Govt. is formed.
The difference now is that it gives traitors within the UK parliament less time to carry out their plan of reversing the democratic vote to leave the EU. So, they are p%ssed about it.
edit on 28/8/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
My guess is that hr's already got a private assurance that the request will be granted.
Simply because it would be foolish to make the announcement unless he already had that promise under his belt. Compare the example I've used before, of the Parliament Act crisis of 1911 and George V's promise to create more peers if the Lords made it necessary.

P.S. In fact I see from the Sky report posted lower down that the act is a fait accompli. In effect, then, Corbyn will be asking her to reverse a decision already made, and I don't think he's going to achieve that.I doubt if there's a legal authority that can override Queen-in-Council, either.

edit on 28-8-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

I thought the queen/royalty was just a figurehead position. Apparently not?

Yes, it's more of a formality for something like this though and although people may say otherwise, that process happens (or usually happens) every year. The reason Johnson is asking for it at that particular time is what people are outraged about.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
Wow she can do that?

It's really just a formality. Her new Govt. asks her to suspend parliament as part of the preparation for drafting and preparing new policy.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Quite complex but here are her mag's rights and duties:

www.bmsf.org.uk...

Her Majesty’s actual rights as a Queen are only three: The right to be consulted by the Prime Minister To encourage certain courses of action To warn against others

Figurehead, mostly.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Is this just posturing..similiar to what we do here in the Unites States with all the impeachment nonsense?

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Interesting how all the Remainers (under one guise or another) are whining that this is usurping the democratic process of Parliament whilst being quite happy to usurp the expressed democratic will of the people.

I see Project Fear is in overdrive again, too.

There will be much whingeing.
edit on 28-8-2019 by oldcarpy because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The Queen has now approved the suspension of Parliament.
news.sky.com...

Over the course of the last hour Remainer groups have even gone as far as to issue veiled threats against the Monarch, urging her to override the sitting Govt. She has ignored the traitors.
edit on 28/8/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
Interesting how all the Remainers (under one guise or another) are whining that this is usurping the democratic process of Parliament whilst being quite happy to usurp the expressed democratic will of the people.

To be fair, in what way is the current PMs tactics not project fear? That phrase applies to both sides and has done since day one. The fact that someone who was pro-Brexit came out with it first (while also possibly talking about how Turkey would be in the EU within seconds and we would face millions of immigrants coming from there) is no more than chance.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

That's politics, though. But Project Fear (George Osbourne) claimed a vote for Brexit would mean an instant emergency Budge, sky falling down and other dire stuff that just did not happen.

At least Boris has some steel in him, unlike May.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

To be fair, in what way is the current PMs tactics not project fear? That phrase applies to both sides and has done since day one. The fact that someone who was pro-Brexit came out with it first (while also possibly talking about how Turkey would be in the EU within seconds and we would face millions of immigrants coming from there) is no more than chance.

I have only heard positive messages about Britain since Boris became PM.
Really don't understand any British people or media outlets siding with and aiding the EU.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   

an offence against the democratic process
-- comment by Bercow

That is pretty rich considering how many "elite" figures in British politics and society did their level best to see BREXIT shelved. Did Bercow condemn them for their games, or is it only an "offence" when the other group hits hard?

Thanks to the OP for opening this thread.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Oho! A group of Remainers have asked a Scottish Court for an Order blocking this:

www.bbc.co.uk...

A group of parliamentarians has asked Scotland's top civil court to block Boris Johnson's bid to suspend parliament. The 75 pro-Remain politicians initially launched a legal action at the Court of Session in Edinburgh last month. They are now seeking an interim interdict that would prevent parliament being suspended until the case has a full hearing on 6 September. The court is expected to consider their motion on Thursday or Friday. An interim interdict is the Scottish equivalent of an injunction in the English and Welsh legal systems.

I predict a riot!

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Pretty rich from Mr Unbiased Speaker Bercow - the one with a "Bollox to Brexit" sticker on his car.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   
from the Lib Dem leader:

Jo Swinson (Lib Dem): "By suspending Parliament to force through a no deal, Boris Johnson and the government would remove the voice of the people. It is a dangerous and unacceptable course of action which the Lib Dems will strongly oppose."

"Remove the voice of the people"? - newsflash - the voice of the people has already spoken. We voted Leave. Parliament is ignoring the voice of the people.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   

a reply to: uncommitted

That's politics, though. But Project Fear (George Osbourne) claimed a vote for Brexit would mean an instant emergency Budge, sky falling down and other dire stuff that just did not happen.

At least Boris has some steel in him, unlike May.

Ad Farage (and others) talking about the imminent creation of an EU army which would demand the removal of ours, the Turkish entry into the EU being imminent (according to vote leave and Farage) plus all the usual sh!t. And you don't also call that project fear? Both were means of manipulation for the stupid who couldn't look into things themselves - just like the cr@p Johnson came out with which will never come to fruition.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join