It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Notre Dame on fire in Paris

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   

CBS Evening News ‏ Verified account @CBSEveningNews Follow Follow @CBSEveningNews More

Among the relics inside Notre Dame Cathedral: "Pieces of the cross they believe that Jesus was crucified on, as well as part of the thorned crown that he had, as well as one of the nails from the crucifixion; their status is unknown right now.

twitter.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
So awful!

The rose window, the Holy relics and the treasury. The Spire!
And in Holy Week

I'm teary looking at my photos from going to mass there.

It's also worth noting for the religious types, it's also possible letting it burn is a deity's way of making displeasure known with Catholic opulence on display in their buildings.

Just a thought to consider, that maybe even the omnipotent might have grandeur limits.

I'm sure since the church survived the hundred years war ww1 WW2 napoleon etc

but God chooses some random accident or some a hole to start a fire

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit
That window was removed during WWII to prevent the germans breaking it.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

According to this article, and Muslim lady threatened a terrorist attack against Notre dame-cathedral three days ago.

mobile.twitter.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Macron: "Extend "thoughts" to all the Catholics and all the French."

You know, whether or not you believe, this would be an appropriate time to say "thoughts and prayers" because the people feeling this tragedy certainly do believe in prayer.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Yeah and.....

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   
So sad to see history disappearing in such a brutal manner, i was lucky enough to visit when I was at college back in the 90s, the sheer scale of the building was inspiring for when it was built.

Such a shame, whatever the cause, if deliberate then I hope they are justly punished for Arson

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Report: Fire spreading to two bell towers.

link   
Looking at it overhead on Gmaps, it appears there will be nothing left beyond the two front entries. It will certainly come to an End as it has been known.

Immeasurable loss at this point.

link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

So awful!

And in Holy Week

It's also worth noting for the religious types, it's also possible letting it burn is a deity's way of making displeasure known with Catholic opulence on display in their buildings.

Just a thought to consider, that maybe even the omnipotent might have grandeur limits.

I'm sure since the church survived the hundred years war ww1 WW2 napoleon etc

but God chooses some random accident or some a hole to start a fire

Look, about as belief-happy as I get is "Sh# happens, the day goes on". In general, most spiritual people think s# happens for a reason, and in general, the religious ones believe s# doesn't happen without being part of a godly plan.

Following the spiritual and religious folks' mindset, you never know. Maybe god really did choose that specific point in time to render a building into ash & charred stone for a reason beyond human comprehension.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

originally posted by: JDmOKI

its way too early to make any assumptions about anything. Arson or accident

Hmmn......

Multiple French churches vandalized

There were almost 50 attacks and acts of vandalism against religious sites in France documented in the month of February, according to Observatory on Intolerance

www.thecatholicthing.org...

One is an accident ......but 50?

then it must be either an anarchist, feminist or Islamist attack. did you tell the cops in paris?

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Heartbreaking.

a reply to: Plotus

Those are now on fire too.
edit on 15-4-2019 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:19 PM
link   
"Somebody did something"

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

its way too early to make any assumptions about anything. Arson or accident

I agree. But the post I replied to mentioned only arson. So I gave another option.

link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Not really speaking as a religious person myself.

If someone did this, then sh#t happened because someone made an ugly choice. If it was an accident, then sh#t happened because the world is the way it is.
edit on 15-4-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

link   
www.youtube.com... consider what has been lost and weep.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:25 PM
link   

So awful!

And in Holy Week

The Gothic Cathedral was built for humanity to look up and the echoing prayer be lifted up to the heavens. It was filled with light from the beauty of the stained glass windows. Beauty is not an affront to God.
To look up beyond yourself, to send your prayers to the heavens to praise Gods majesty in such a setting is not a sin.

It is a testimony to human kinds ingenuity with the advent of Gothic architecture and its Flying Buttresses. The sound of the voice at prayer echoing up in song and chant was heightened by the loftiness.

One doesn't need to be a 'Religious Type' to see this, one just has to read the history behind the architectural style.

God doesn't do this. Fire with Oxygen inside a stone oven like structure did.

edit on 15-4-2019 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Macron: "Extend "thoughts" to all the Catholics and all the French."

You know, whether or not you believe, this would be an appropriate time to say "thoughts and prayers" because the people feeling this tragedy certainly do believe in prayer.

I would just say thoughts personally.

I'm not religious, so if I said I extended thoughts and prayers out it would be disingenuous as I don't pray.

I can't speak for that tool Macron... Just saying I wouldn't say thoughts and prayers, I wouldn't find it appropriate no matter the context if I was speaking for myself. However, if I was speaking on a countries behalf, I could say it as I know some pray... I'm not sure if he was speaking for himself or his country.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

It would be very difficult to get away with. Especially mid day. Its in a small island and its full of tourists. Ive been there multiple times.

Whate a shame none the less.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Yeah and.....

Meaning get your facts and literature right and revise your history before making one liner comments about the country I live in.

Thank you.

Lags
edit on 15-4-2019 by Lagomorphe because: She has no culture sadly.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join