It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seven MP's leave Labour in Corbyn protest.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I thought that JC has been a life-long opponent of the EU?

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

I thought that JC has been a life-long opponent of the EU?

He has been, thats probably why he has been so bad at dealing with this issue.

A few weeks ago it could have been possible to push through a second referendum if he would have backed it and pushed for it but he wants Brexit so thats not happening.
edit on 18-2-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Corbyn's opposition to Brexit has been abysmal,.....

Everything about Corbyn is abysmal.

The sad thing is that I passionately support some of his more traditional Labour policies on social and domestic issues yet he refuses to promote these policies in preference to pandering to the SJW's and their ilk that infest the party now.

Corbyn hasn't had a Brexit policy....nothing.

He could have chosen to show the way forward with cross party think tanks working towards a positive and cohesive policy in Brexit negotiations yet instead he chose to engage in party politics.....much to his eternal discredit.

..... as a self confessed Remainer,

We all have our failings my friend,

..... I would hope that this forces him to realise that he actually has to do some proper opposition work or else his party is going to collapse even further.

A strong government requires a strong opposition.
This weak government has got a weak opposition.

All by design?

Party politics has outlives its usefulness.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

You know he is actually the exact politician that I should support, in that he has strong traditional labour left of centre views and values yet his handling of Brexit for me as a (sorry) remainer just cannot forgive.

Its like you said, we have weak government and right now even weaker opposition.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   

What you need in a politician is someone who can actually get things done. As I said before, JC has spent his whole political career on the fringe of things and just protesting. He has never worked in any proper job.

He is detached from the real world wrapped up in an insulating layer of ideological beliefs that keep the real world out.

And he has a rubbish beard and looks like Steptoe (OK, OK - plenty of lefties on here make fun of May's appearance so no hissy fits, please).

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I never follow anything blindly but I have more or less always voted Labour as their policies and morals are more in line with mine than any other party.....until recently.

Labour has completely abandoned its core supporters and in Corbyn have a leader I have absolutely zero respect for.

A man who shared a stage with terrorists, refused to condemn those self same terrorists yet at the same time criticised our own Armed Forces.
A man who would unilaterally disarm this nation in an increasingly fragile and fraught world.

How could such a man be allowed to ensure the safety and security of this nation?

I could go on, but why bother?

It remains to be seen if any more Labour MP's resign.
It'd be more interesting if some Tory MP's chose to join them.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Would be interesting if a few tories joined them

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

He is detached from the real world wrapped up in an insulating layer of ideological beliefs that keep the real world out.

As are the vast majority of our politicians across the whole political spectrum.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   

True, but some have actually had jobs and stuff.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   

What, like being a brick layer, painter & decorator or welder etc?
Maybe as a call centre worker, shop assistant, care worker or something like that?

I'm sure you get my point....quite different from working as some politicians lackey, in banking or heaven forbid in chambers.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Heaven forbid, indeed.

Any job outside of politics really - the real world.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Any job outside of politics really - the real world.

Or Academia....there seems enormous similarities between the two.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Deleted.
Double post.

edit on 18/2/19 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   
There has been anti semitism in the Labour Party. For example, low level party members questioning whether the Holocaust ever happened and, if it did, whether the number of murders was exaggerated to promote the interests of the Jewish State. Mainly Facebook and Twitter type comments, but sufficient to get individual members thrown out of the party.

Labour’s problem is that it was late to crack down on those members and Corbyn was initially wishy washy on the whole subject. That anti Semitic undercurrent, combined with the party’s hostility to Israeli government policy and perceived support for everything Palestinian, gives the real impression that Labour is institutionally biased.

The Conservatives & UKIP arent immune. There’s been examples of members from both parties questioning the loyalty of British Jews, discussing whether one can be both Jewish and British etc. Action was taken.

The situation is not helped by those who deliberately take any criticism of the Israeli government or any discussion about Zionism as being anti Semitic by its very nature.

As to these 7 Labour MP’s. I listened to their press conference on BBC Radio Five. Some of their criticisms of Labour are absolutely damning ... and that from Labour MP’s too. It really makes you wonder what the grass roots narrative is in the party these days when it comes to Israel and the Middle East.

But is the solution to give up the fight from within and sit as independents ? I doubt it. The nature of the party system guarantees all but Umunna will be out on their arses at the next General Election. And he himself can’t make high office due to rumours about his sexuality (he needs to address this ... nobody will care less if he’s bi or gay but he’s a security risk and open to blackmail if he is and chooses to play the straight card). So he can’t be leader or PM material, after all he withdrew from the Labour leader election due to “intense media scrutiny”. I can’t see any Tories or Libs migrating over to this new grouping either, although the Libs might vote with them in the Commons.

SDP Mark 2 ? The first SDP at least had a chance, for a year or two, with a string of famous by election victories.

This new model seems doomed from the outset.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Yeah - when I was at Uni someone wrote above the bog rolls "Sociology degrees - please take one"

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TheShippingForecast

And he himself can’t make high office due to rumours about his sexuality (he needs to address this ... nobody will care less if he’s bi or gay but he’s a security risk and open to blackmail if he is and chooses to play the straight card). So he can’t be leader or PM material, after all he withdrew from the Labour leader election due to “intense media scrutiny”. I

Don't think so - Ireland's PM is openly gay.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Nearest I ever got to Uni was when I used to visit my brother.
There was always someone who fancied a bit of council estate rough....had some great times.

A few years ago I was accepted at a local University to study Criminology as a mature, something I'm definitely not, student.
The lady who was dealing with my application told me they had a great mock up court and prison cells....she was a bit taken aback when I told her I had ample first hand experience of both.

Unfortunately real life things prevented me from taking them up on the offer.

I have no idea what I would have done with the degree.

Shame my previous work experience and closet full of skeletons would have prevented me from a future in politics.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TheShippingForecast

I'm not aware of those rumours about his sexuality actually having anything substantial about them. Personally I thought that was more the momentum trolls attacking him for daring to criticise Corbyn?

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

my opinion of chukka is he is intent on smashing in the backdoors.....of brexit that is.

I feel the breath of tony swirling like a hot lithium battery gassing off prior to ignition.

go sprocket go! I had similar thoughts.

f

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: fakedirt
a reply to: uncommitted

my opinion of chukka is he is intent on smashing in the backdoors.....of brexit that is.

I feel the breath of tony swirling like a hot lithium battery gassing off prior to ignition.

go sprocket go! I had similar thoughts.

f

Fairly sure he wouldn't succeed but at least he is showing he has a strong viewpoint which is something many of the shadow cabinet have failed to show. I'm not sure how much of the current labour voters are really in tune with the actual principles Labour was founded on and how many are more followers of Corbyn as an individual.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join