It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jordan Peterson On God

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 05:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Barcs
I honestly do not think he believes in a personal god, but he's very dodgy about that because most of his followers are religious right folks.

What makes you think that most of his followers are religious right?

And what self respecting religious right person would follow a guy who refuses to state clearly his thoughts on the ressurection.

His religious views don't pander to any group, if anything they exclude them all.
2nd post on the same subject but it fascinates me how misrepresented this guy is.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: coomba98

resistance... lol ment existance! Lol

Dumbarse.

Coomba98

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Hey! No name-calling allowed.

Even if you're attacking yourself.

And even if you *like* it

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

His specialty is how to manipulate the masses with propaganda. This guy is the ultimate snake!

Why, because he teaches people how to better themselves and be more self reliant?

That's silly.

He has a professional background, something many people who operate similar capacities in the public circuit do not.

He doesn't even speak for or against politics, but rather problems with society and culture.

Those who can't see that have too much skin in the game for their ideology IMO, and see him as a threat to their dogma.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Pffft. God kills leviathan, the Jewish embodiment or personification of the ocean. Which is no different then the belief that Micheal slays the dragon to ensure heavens place on earth when it rise from the sea.

Indra, Marduk, Zeus, Thor, Set, all fight a giant snake monster. Some of past tense other times it future tense. Hell in other stories there battles make the world go round.
edit on 13-2-2019 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

If you give him a listen and read even the smallest bit of the Tao Te Ching (which he refers to very frequently) then maybe you’ll see an influence other than Freud. There’s also Tolstoy, Solzhenitsyn- among others.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: pthena

He’s been labeled the “darling of the alt right” by the extreme left- take that for what it’s worth.

He speaks truth- and if nasty people recognize truth and embrace it (and possibly warp it to fit their agenda) should the rest of us plug our ears to the truth? I say not.

I’m far from alt right or far left. However, his words resonate with me like nothing else has in a long time.

I also feel the need to say that I am an early 30’s, center left leaning woman. Not an alt right, incel, white male- since all the left wants to portray him as propagandizing young men only. And what is wrong with teaching young men to be better men?

Personally, I’ve grown exponentially from listening to his podcast/.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: 5StarOracle
a reply to: Barcs

I responded to what you said, I imagine had I wanted to comment on Jordan I would have done so...
I don’t misinterpret things much and believe I hit the mark on your stance as well as your and perhaps Jordan’s misconception that the brain is what processes God...
Do you wish to deflect some more or would you care to discuss your opinions?
Or are you saying you have no real opinions of your own?
Never mind...
I already know the answer...

Again, that is not what I said, nor what I articulated in that post. Go read it again. He's an expert in psychology which is how the brain processes things at its core. I wasn't saying that god is figment of imagination (even though he most likely is).

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar
What makes you think that most of his followers are religious right?

It's related to his views on religion/god and also his ANTI-SJW content. He has quite a bit of that as well. Maybe religious right is the wrong term, he's more ALT right. He has atheist supporters, but vast majority are definitely theists. I agree with some of the things he says, he brings interesting perspectives at times, but when it comes to god I think he misses the boat completely.

The thing I disagree with the most about what he says is that he claims atheists are not atheists. He explains that a true atheist would be one willing to commit murder or do other immoral acts. So right there he changes the meaning of theism / god to be more of a moral construct than belief in a deity. He says most atheists actually act like theists (which is nonsense). Morality and belief in god are 2 separate things, so it seems like he is purposely doing this to appease his Christian followers. He's also stated many times that Western culture is founded Judeo Christian values and they are part of who we are currently.

And what self respecting religious right person would follow a guy who refuses to state clearly his thoughts on the ressurection.

I'd imagine the same type of people that support Trump despite demonstrating he knows nothing about the bible and has violated tons of of their commandments. Peterson is very intelligent, so I think he dodges those questions and words things very confusingly on purpose because if he took a definitive clear stance on it, he'd alienate some of his followers. He leaves it open so that Christians, atheists and other theists won't stop following him and making him $$$$.

edit on 2 13 19 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

He speaks truth- and if nasty people recognize truth and embrace it (and possibly warp it to fit their agenda) should the rest of us plug our ears to the truth? I say not.

And yet, he himself favors the defunding of Humanities in Universities because "there is ideological bias". He doubts climate science data because "there is ideological bias exhibited by politicians who embrace it".

If he plugs his ears to facts and data because ...
-----------------
I'm fairly certain that he will get along just fine as an infuence agent whether I listen to him or not.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I'm fairly certain that he will get along just fine as an infuence agent whether I listen to him or not.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   

In retrospect, I theorize that he may have been the source of much of the pseudo-intellectual ramblings of the MAGA pushers we were exposed to from 2015-2018. Just a hypothesis really.

I haven't listened to anything other than the podcasts he's done with Joe Rogan.

But from what I gather, he was one of the first intended casualties when the first volleys rang out.

He was oppose to a bill in Canada that (I think, don't quote me) ultimately cost him his job in one way shape or form.

He got fed up with there being "off limit" topics.

I think he is definitely capitalizing on all of this as a whole, but I do find it odd that people label him many odd things when his messages seem to be a bit different (or at least from what I've gathered).

Though I always tend to think the truth is always somewhere in the middle, and I stray from one extreme or the other... Usually the position I'll take may be on one side of the line or the other... but typically not too far off. I only have a couple of die hard issues.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
One of the reason people don't believe in creation is because they can't bring themselves to believe in God.

And one of the biggest problems with that is nobody can even define what they're talking about when they say "God." Most people just fly right past a definition, thinking that it's "common knowledge," or "you just know."

But in actuality, the notion of a transtemporal, transdimensional supernatural superbeing that still cares whether or not you win your football game becomes hopelessly paradoxical the minute you start to give it any thought.

Maybe people don't believe in God because it doesn't make any sense.
edit on 13-2-2019 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

He seems to be spreading himself thin, I wonder if he is narcissistic...the signs are there.

Listening to him is like eating those tiny chicken wings that are so tasty. There is meat there to be sure, but you hit bone very quickly so you have to consume a lot to feel full. It takes patience and a hunger for the nuggets of wisdom to enjoy his lectures. His answers tend to the pedantic and can meander a bit until he gets to the point. That said, I listen to his lectures because they are thought provoking. His deliberative style seems to me to be his way of working out his answers in his head and to carefully craft a response that only the most cleaver interviewer could evade a logic trap.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 04:29 PM
link   

so basically we have to be agnostic, which is what i am, but i believe in a supreme creator, i just dont believe this brain could yet comprehend its meaning,

i believe that human consciousness is the creator of this material world and each one of us can create our highest path with ease if we could focus on that which is beneficial to our aspired goal.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   

double post

we are creators who are living in the creations of others because we are sedated by the creations of others.

edit on 13-2-2019 by ManyMasks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

wikipedia: Jordan_Peterson #Bill_C-16In response to the controversy, academic administrators at the University of Toronto sent Peterson two letters of warning, one noting that free speech had to be made in accordance with human rights legislation and the other adding that his refusal to use the preferred personal pronouns of students and faculty upon request could constitute discrimination. Peterson speculated that these warning letters were leading up to formal disciplinary action against him, but in December the university assured him that he would retain his professorship, and in January 2017 he returned to teach his psychology class at the University of Toronto.

I agree with his position that forcing people to speak certain words actually influences the way people perceive certain things and position themselves on sides regarding issues. So enforcing vocabulary rules should be rejected.

Just because I agree with his conclusion on this case does not mean I agree with his line of reasoning by which he reached his conclusion.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Barcs

That is actually a very fascinating intellectual discussion, the first time I have seen Peterson discussing complex topics with somebody who doesn't look with big eyes in total bewilderment, a true intellectual peer who is an atheist. As Peterson says at the end it's good to have these complex discussions with many people interested in them, at the very least it is very educational even if you disagree with the point being made.

Thanks for posting that.
edit on 13-2-2019 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   
For those that say he is Alt-Right you need to watch this clip of him on Real Time with Bill Mayer.
He is Canadian, he is not Alt-Right as tagged by Americans, but he sure isn't Alt-left either.

*** Language Warning for Bill ***

I sure wish they would have got into God it would have been really interesting, but Bill agrees with everything he says in this particular discussion, and he is very left leaning.

edit on 13-2-2019 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Good stuff. Yes, I pretty much agreed with everything Peterson said in that video. I tend to agree with most of his anti-SJW views, and I am all about free speech and using it to push boundaries even if perceived as offensive (as you well know from your experience dealing with me on this website). It's nice to see we have some common ground on a topic here.

I still totally disagree with a lot of Peterson's views on God / religion, but he's not as bad as most people make him out to be. I don't think he's actually alt-right, himself, just that he appeals to that demographic in the US because of the anti-SJW stuff, which was primarily what led to his rise in popularity.

edit on 2 13 19 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join