It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jordan Peterson On God

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Hero worship should be shunned.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
a reply to: dfnj2015

Wow triggered by mentioning the name Jordan Peterson, that’s interesting and then a nobody on YouTube criticising Dr Peterson
Wow
You have issues

I judge people by the content of what they are saying not by who is saying it. I think it is you who has issues because of your love to worship authority.

edit on 12-2-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

He seems to be spreading himself thin, I wonder if he is narcissistic...the signs are there.

I agree. Peterson is psychologist. He's a propagandist. He's a snake. Everything he says is art-work just to make money and gain popularity. He's just pulling the wool over the eyes of all these Christian chumps out there.

It's all here in his book on what he is doing:

Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief

He's using his understanding of psychology to manipulate people. It's all a calculated manipulation.

edit on 12-2-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Jordan Peterson, hear the sound of the people.

Still not feeling it?

It's someone else you have to strive to be.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid
Never heard of the guy in the interview, but this quote is the part that really stands out:

People think that what they believe is what they say they believe. I don't believe that. I believe that what people believe is what they act out. And so I said, 'I act as if God exists.'

To me that is a VERY powerful statement, I might just watch the whole video now...

This isn’t original, and I don’t think he claims that it is.... Socrates said (and I’m paraphrasing) “we should live as if it [speaking of the afterlife and judgement] were true- it is a belief worth risking”

Socrates and The Tao Te Ching seem to be among the many influences of Peterson.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh

Never heard of the guy in the interview, but this quote is the part that really stands out:

People think that what they believe is what they say they believe. I don't believe that. I believe that what people believe is what they act out. And so I said, 'I act as if God exists.'

To me that is a VERY powerful statement, I might just watch the whole video now...

Was he about to lose his life by being poisoned? One's perspective may change at that stage of life/death.
This isn’t original, and I don’t think he claims that it is.... Socrates said (and I’m paraphrasing) “we should live as if it [speaking of the afterlife and judgement] were true- it is a belief worth risking”

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Except that he draws/ has learned from so many thinkers who are revered.

I can see why one might think him a snake oil salesman-or a snake for that matter. He definitely has the ability to lead many astray (and I don’t mean in a religious sense). He speaks well, presents himself well- he speaks truths that resonate with many (including myself). But those who can capture the people’s attention and emotion can use it nefariously. It’s a very real possibility.

However, I will judge people by their fruits.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Was he about to lose his life by being poisoned? One's perspective may change at that stage of life/death.

Look deeper.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I’m not sure what you mean by this?

My point is that Peterson has been influenced by many different people/philosophies.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 12:33 AM
link   

I’m not sure what you mean by this?

My point is that Peterson has been influenced by many different people/philosophies.

Are we talking mostly Freudian? He seems the right age and the era.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 12:50 AM
link   

"I'm not making a statement reflecting a certainty I don't have" I like that. And it is the most honest thing one can say about god.
To me the evolution of matter, the big bang, if it indeed happened, is not contradicting a god.
Might as well be the energy before it started observing itself and the process of waves collapsing into matter was the same unknown energy that gives us consciousness.
That's just a new perspective on creation. We always said to god time doesn't exist in the same way as it exists for us. The process of creation could be infinite.

...now I'll read what others have to say on the subject. Thanks for posting this.

After reading: it's really a shame there can apparently be no discussion in what was said but instead some immediately focus on the person who is saying it. That's absolutely irrelevant. "Wrong" people can say "right" things.
He has said things he found true in all religion. No reason to attack him over that.
"He is leading people astray" from what? It's not like he says with any certainty "this is true that is wrong". But if an invitation to look at your own beliefs more carefully and honest is an attack or an attempt to seduce to you, that's a tell tale sign of where you stand in examining the basis of your belief.

edit on 13-2-2019 by Peeple because: add

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Barcs

“How the brain can process such beliefs”
What you are really saying here is... how the brain can make you believe such things...
That’s laughable, but no real surprise coming from you... Assuming that those who believe in God are simply delusional... The real truth about those who “believe” in God is ... They know their brain falls short while trying to coneptualize the nature and existence of God....
It is not the brain which recognizes God... It is instead your soul which delights in knowing him...
Those who doubt before even seeking him out, yet instead demand proof... Well they could never begin to ever have a chance of knowing him, after all he is God... You need to bow down, not the other way around...
I’m sure this has fallen on deaf and dumb ears though, I’m also certain you can’t even process the truth in what I have just told you... And also that you feel attacked by what I have just said...
I can only say it’s nots so, I have given you actual information you could use and if done so honestly would provide you with all the proof you would ever need that God is real...

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

What is your opinion? We can take it, can you?

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: 5StarOracle

“How the brain can process such beliefs”
What you are really saying here is... how the brain can make you believe such things...
That’s laughable, but no real surprise coming from you... Assuming that those who believe in God are simply delusional... The real truth about those who “believe” in God is ... They know their brain falls short while trying to coneptualize the nature and existence of God....
It is not the brain which recognizes God... It is instead your soul which delights in knowing him...
Those who doubt before even seeking him out, yet instead demand proof... Well they could never begin to ever have a chance of knowing him, after all he is God... You need to bow down, not the other way around...
I’m sure this has fallen on deaf and dumb ears though, I’m also certain you can’t even process the truth in what I have just told you... And also that you feel attacked by what I have just said...
I can only say it’s nots so, I have given you actual information you could use and if done so honestly would provide you with all the proof you would ever need that God is real...

Wow, somebody got triggered. My post said nothing like that. I was referring to his expertise in psychology by how the brain processes things. Why is it you can't even discuss what I said in the post, instead you go off on an irrelevant red herring rant based on a statement you misinterpreted? Did you actually want to discuss Jordan's opinions?

edit on 2 13 19 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:13 AM
link   

I responded to what you said, I imagine had I wanted to comment on Jordan I would have done so...
I don’t misinterpret things much and believe I hit the mark on your stance as well as your and perhaps Jordan’s misconception that the brain is what processes God...
Do you wish to deflect some more or would you care to discuss your opinions?
Or are you saying you have no real opinions of your own?
Never mind...
I already know the answer...

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:18 AM
link   

For some reason I'm spending a lot of time reading and re-reading the comments on this thread. I didn't know anything about Jordan Peterson, so I was puzzled why the strong clash of opinions.

Turns out he's the darling of the alt-right crowd, with his big youtube "ministry" dropping intellectual jargon and technical political science terms. In retrospect, I theorize that he may have been the source of much of the pseudo-intellectual ramblings of the MAGA pushers we were exposed to from 2015-2018. Just a hypothesis really.

He despises Sociology. I like Sociology. That actually is the study of societies, cultures, sub-cultures, religions, customs, and public ethics, how people interact.

He's the wealthiest academic in North America, due to book sales and youtube "ministry".

God is not his specialty, but if people ask him enough, and he realizes how popular the subject is, he may just decide that he can cash in on that too.

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise:
and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding." Proverbs 17:28.

Right-winger? Not me, says alt-right darling Jordan Peterson

To his growing legion of mostly male fans, Jordan Peterson is a cultural messiah, but to his critics he’s a professor of piffle. When the Canadian psychologist recently brought his brand of intellectual machismo to Australia, crowds flocked – and controversy followed.

"Most of the global warming posturing is a masquerade for anti-capitalists to have a go at the Western patriarchy. That’s partly why the climate change thing for me is a contentious issue, because you can’t trust the players. You can’t trust the data because there is too much ideology involved."

Jordan Peterson on climate change in interview with Greg Callaghan

I don't understand why this is in Origins and Creationism.
edit on 13-2-2019 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:51 AM
link   

My opinion about what?

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Jordan Peterson is the master of word salad and diversion.

His mental construct explanation is hogwash.

Lol, his response to gods resistance.... lol. 1:04:56

Coomba98
edit on 13-2-2019 by coomba98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Objective truth is a measurement of all states in creation with all the variables. Inside that measurement is the experience of all beings experience encoded.

Some people who meditate become very good at noticing manipulation. Sometimes they even take/recieve the answers from the Divine realms.

Jordan Petersen play around with Darwininistic truth and it is easily deconstracted as just another subjective bull# story. He is a shill for the power pyramid controllers with his ideas that power pyramids must always exist.

Subjective bull# story.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
He's an expert in propaganda and knows exactly what to say to make himself popular.

What makes you think that?
His position here upsets both atheists and theists equally.

Also, you don't like him.

I'm fascinated why however, I'm sure the hour or so of youtube vids explain your position clearly, but could you summarise.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join