It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Passing of a friend and great guitarist

page: 1

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Terry Baker, a friend and very gifted musician and artist passed recently in Mendocino CA. I think the first time I saw him play was 1974 and he was playing Hendrix like the ghost of Jimmy had possessed him. Cancer claims another great soul.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
RIP, Terry!
And condolences on your loss, ATA.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

RIP Terry. Sorry, you lost your friend. Ever sit around while he jamin because if you did it was one helluva treat. That was awesome !!

I just lost a brother in law to bone cancer on Tuesday of this week and have a sister in law battling cancer now. So cancer sucks !!

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Wow...talented guy for sure!

RIP Terry. May you find peace.

Sorry for your loss, ATA.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

My condolences for your loss. I didn’t know your friend but watched the video, and he was an impressive musician. Deepest sympathies.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
He is with JAH now. He is ok

Rest with God in Heaven Terry

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Bummer. He was very good at the guitar. Was he still playing much

It sucks to lose a good friend.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I'm more worried about his little brother Stevo who moved out to Cali last year to be with him. Their parents had both died in the last 3 years and Terry was his only living relative. Stevo is an amazing drummer and played in bands with Terry for years. Luckily he's made some good friends and is finding the emotional support he needs to get through this. Both of them were very sensitive, artistic people so this must be a tough time for Stevo.

A bit more about Terry: he was the guy ballsy enough to throw a pie in the principal's face. He moved to NYC when .com was taking off and he got in early doing webdesign. His artwork was amazing too, enough so to have a show at Yale. His personal site is long gone but he used to post his writings at Terrapindream. All-around creative soul. His move to Cali was to become a farmer (hair might give you a hint what kind of farm).

Thanks for all the replies, I know he would be humbled to know so many find pleasure in his artistry. Now he's up there jamming with Jimmy for real and maybe throwing a pie or 2.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

Sorry to hear about your sister and brother in law.
My prayers for her recovery and my condolences for him.
I lost both my parents to cancer and neither drank, smoked or did anything unhealthy.
Was a time car accidents seem to claim the most people I knew.
Now it's cancer every freaking time.
We are doing something drastically wrong.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Talented guy man! It’s sad so many talented guys die only locally known without much money usually. Not saying he wasn’t but all the really talented guys here live gig to gig but doing what they love. I sometimes wish I was ballsy enough to take a shot at it. I’ve backed out of recording twice and haven’t had a gig in two years, just playing at home.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

If you write music you owe to yourself to record, at least do a demo.
You can get a recording set up for ridiculously cheap these days.
I keep making excuses for myself as well even though I sit surrounded by all the gear needed to make recordings.
I know once I get started it gets easier, it's the setting up and getting sounds right that wears me out.
Thanks for the reply and sharing that, you might have got me to get off my butt and do something.
I'd love to hear what you come up with!

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

If you write music you owe to yourself to record, at least do a demo.
You can get a recording set up for ridiculously cheap these days.
I keep making excuses for myself as well even though I sit surrounded by all the gear needed to make recordings.
I know once I get started it gets easier, it's the setting up and getting sounds right that wears me out.
Thanks for the reply and sharing that, you might have got me to get off my butt and do something.
I'd love to hear what you come up with!

Absolutely. Even if you’re just doing lo-fi recordings with basic mice through a protocols Mbox setup or GarageBand, it’s wirthwhile to at least demo any material you have. After getting married and slowing down on my work, especially after hip replacement surgery, I’m finally pretty active again playing live and have studio time booked for March with a tentative plan to record 10-12 songs. It’s funny, same guys i played with in the early 2000’s and its like we never stopped playing together and writing and collaborating is much easier these days now that we’re not in our 20’s and constantly trying to one up each other.

I would strongly encourage you to demo as much as possible. I’ve got multiple external hard drives of unedited stuff from recording everything in real time and it’s a great resource for sifting through for good riffs and parts/changes when you get stuck writing a new song. If for nobody other than yourself, it’s totally worth it to have an audio record of as much of your work as possible.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

I have tried at home recording, but honestly, I’ve got just as good sound with the IPhone camera. This ones old but sounded ok for booking shows. I love to play rock and metal, but around here this stuff was easier to book. The Texas music.
edit on 14-12-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-12-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Sounds good for just a camera video.
Amazing what a little editing power of software can do for an overall product.
Well done!

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The boy could play!

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend ATA.
He had the Jimmy tone nailed!

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Very talented man. RIP Terry and say hello to Jimi for me.

I'm glad his Brother has friends to help him through this dark time.

It seems every time I turn around, someone is dying. I have a an old school friend dying of cancer at the moment and another couple who are fighting it. I am a survivor myself. It's everywhere and just heart wrenching!

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I lost both my parents to cancer and neither drank, smoked or did anything unhealthy.

It is amazing how many people who eat right, exercise and never worked in a toxic environment get cancer anyway. No one is safe so we must treasure each day, everyone and everything in our lives.

I lost both my Parents too, but for different reasons. They at least lived very long and happy lives and I know they are in a better place now.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

He really had talent. One of my favorite songs.

I’m so sorry for your loss.

top topics

join