It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit Donald Tusk tells European Union to approve deal

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

So a minority wags the dogs tail once again?

Lets face it, a new PM requires a general election else we may as well forget the whole notion of the democratic process in its entirety.

Then again the U.K is a Monarchy at heart and not a Democracy.

So we will take what we are given and like it i suppose.
edit on 26-11-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

So a minority wags the dogs tail once again?

Lets face it, a new PM requires a general election else we may as well forget the whole notion of the democratic process in its entirety.

Then again the U.K is a Monarchy at heart and not a Democracy.

So we will take what we are given and like it i suppose.

Whatever the failings of our current system, I find it an utter fallacy that people use that as a way to somehow defend the even more remote relationship between the citizens and the rulers in the EU.

Just come straight out with it and be honest if you never want to be able to elect the people who make the laws you have to live under rather than try and whitewash the whole thing by moaning about a midterm leadership election...Funny how the Labour party made a big stink about this one after deciding it was finr for brown to take over from Blair without a General Election.
(And yes, Thatcher-major too, showed the tories did the same even before Call me Dave made way for the Maybot)

This isn't about general elections, leadership contests etc, it is about the majority of us voting for something and those with the power openly refusing to do as we told them.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

You are not understanding how this works. We do not elect a PM, we elect a party. That party decides who leads it. No one voted for Brown, did they?

What influence do you think the Queen has on Brexit?

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

This is about austerity, immigration, and the rich getting richer whilst everyone else takes the hit.

The majority can now see Brexit for the chocolate teapot it always has been.

The majority of the UK will be far worse of in the short term.

As to the long-term well if it means a generation of kids being worse off so Tories, corporations and bankers can line can line their own pockets, i really don't see the point, and neither will our kids.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

The leader of the party with the largest number of MP's is the Prime Minister.

That's how John Major succeeded Thatcher as PM and Gordon Brown became PM after Blair.

We may not like the system and we may not like the person who benefits....but its long established and there is much precedence.

Another reason to reform the system?

I don't think The Queen has much actual power these days....personally if I ever thought the monarch was interfering in the governing of this country I would overnight become a passionate opponent of the Royal Family and their continuation.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

"What influence do you think the Queen has on Brexit?"

As much or as little as suits her mind really.

"You are not understanding how this works."

I understand just fine, i just dont hold with the notion.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Let's just say it leaves a lot to be desired.

If our system was homework, the dog would have eaten it.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Have you been asleep for a decade? People have been getting poorer since the late 90s. The more EU we have had in our lives the worse things have gotten.

Hell, I make this point a lot, but how is the EU's law stopping us from removing vat on gas and electricity helping any of the poor keep warm this winter?

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   

What system would you prefer?

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   

"Have you been asleep for a decade?"

No, just on Facebook somewhat. LoL

People have been getting poorer since the minimum wage and zero hour contracts were introduced, that's a given.

How many old age pensioner die each year down to gas and electricity pricing?

We will never remove VAT on power. "They" want those poor old souls out the picture, not in it.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

One that works for a start.

One that caters to the masses rather than the few.

So a system of governance that has of yet to raise its head in all recorded history really.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

So, no ideas then?

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

If the Brits are really wanting to leave the E U, why not give up Northern Ireland and not have to worry about a border there.
I would think this one thing would make the negotiations go a lot faster.
Why do they think they should stay there anyway?

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

"Have you been asleep for a decade?"

No, just on Facebook somewhat. LoL

People have been getting poorer since the minimum wage and zero hour contracts were introduced, that's a given.

How many old age pensioner die each year down to gas and electricity pricing?

We will never remove VAT on power. "They" want those poor old souls out the picture, not in it.

and look at zero hours and wage stagnation..the timeline coincides with the massive increase in the EU worker pool.

As for the vat, it no longer matters who you vote for. you could vote for Corbyn's lefty uncle and even he wouldn't be able to reduce it because the EU forbids it. How is that moral? An organisation we can't elect the head of telling every single democratically elected government we might ever have that they must let people die of cold rather than get rid of the vat on household fuel?

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Like i said the idea is to accommodate the masses and not the few.

No system of government does this, has done this in recorded history, or plans to do so any time soon.

Whats your suggestion Brexit, austerity and more Tory bullcrap per-chance?

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   

I just want a better future for our kids.

I dont see Brexit doing that.

The people die of "cold" as you put it down to Tories and there government.

Compare how the first world nations of the EU treat their pensioners to how we do? Is there a comparison really?

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

I just want a better future for our kids.

I dont see Brexit doing that.

The people die of "cold" as you put it down to Tories and there government.

Compare how the first world nations of the EU treat their pensioners to how we do? Is there a comparison really?

Its like I never said a thing. hah.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Trust the Tories to make a cock-up of this , seems to me May is a Fifth columnist selling us down the river.

Do you honestly think Corbyn et al would have done any better?

a reply to: paraphi

....and there's the chance it'll go back to another referendum.

You make some great points but if it comes to second referendum then surely it can only be a vote on acceptance of the terms of any Brexit deal and NOT another In/Out referendum.

This is about austerity, immigration, and the rich getting richer whilst everyone else takes the hit.

Austerity, which is the pursuit of a political ideology and not an economic necessity, has been carried out whilst in the EU.
Immigration has continued more or less unabated under the EU.
The rich have become increasingly richer whilst the poor have become poorer under the EU.

Its time for change.

The majority can now see Brexit for the chocolate teapot it always has been.

Brexit is the opportunity to charge of our own affairs free from the dictates of unelected commissars.
And it both could and should be the opportunity to unite and move this country forward in a positive manner and become something we all can be truly proud of.

The majority of the UK will be far worse of in the short term.

I've always been 'worse off' - I'm prepared for a few more years of hardship if it means a better country for my daughter and grandson.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

That's because it been herd before.

Our disparity where our treatment of OAP is concerned is rather apparent.

Nomatter which way you care to look at it.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: tinymind

If the Brits are really wanting to leave the E U, why not give up Northern Ireland and not have to worry about a border there.

Because the majority of people who live in Northern Ireland wish to stay in the UK.....and as long as that is the case it is non-negotiable.

I would think this one thing would make the negotiations go a lot faster.

Irrelevant.

Why do they think they should stay there anyway?

Because they want to....end of!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join