It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ICE claimed Dreamer was gang-affiliated and tried to deport. Federal judge ruled ICE was lying

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Well no it doesn't grant legal status. It only serves as a deferment to deportation.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Here's how you apply for DACA.

DACA Government

It seems there is a $495 application fee. There are interviews, there's fingerprinting, background checks and it's all done by our government, legally, before anyone is approved and allowed to stay here, for now. They are given a card that proves this status, so no, they don't have to be detained to prove their status, as someone ridiculously suggested.

So, don't worry people, his name may look a little off and his skin is most likely a bit darker than yours, but don't fear - the government knows he's here. They are the ones who let him legally stay here.

I'm more worried about the possibility of ICE agents lying and forging documents in order to deport people. If that allegation turns out true, it is a far, far bigger problem.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: timequake
Well no it doesn't grant legal status. It only serves as a deferment to deportation.

The deferment is the legal status. Just like a refugee is granted legal status, even if it is temporary.

ETA: Like Kharron posted above, you jump through the legal hoops and are allowed to stay, all legal like.
edit on 17-5-2018 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

originally posted by: UKTruth
DACA is not a legal status, which makes the guy an illegal alien.

Actually it is a legal status and despite trying to repeal it the federal government said it would continue accepting renewal requests. That is as legal as it gets.

DACA grants no legal status.

The DACA program doesn’t provide a path to citizenship, and even though recipients have deportation deferred, they still do not have lawful status. However, about 40,000 former DACA recipients did go on to get their green cards, becoming lawful permanent residents. How? A spokeswoman for USCIS, Claire K. Nicholson, confirmed to FactCheck.org that the 40,000 people used what’s called “advance parole,” under which DACA recipients could get permission (after applying and paying a $575 fee) to travel abroad for humanitarian, educational and employment purposes. Once they returned to the U.S., they were entering the country legally. Typically with unlawful status, an immigrant would have to return to his or her home country and apply for a green card there.

edit on 17/5/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

No. It is not a grant of status. What it does is acknowledge that one is here illegally, but a temparary stay is placed on deportation proceedings. The exectutive order cannot alter one's status, but only defer prosecutorial authority. Compariing it to refuges is different in that they sought out legal means of entry from the beginning.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron
Here's how you apply for DACA.

DACA Government

It seems there is a $495 application fee. There are interviews, there's fingerprinting, background checks and it's all done by our government, legally, before anyone is approved and allowed to stay here, for now. They are given a card that proves this status, so no, they don't have to be detained to prove their status, as someone ridiculously suggested.

So, don't worry people, his name may look a little off and his skin is most likely a bit darker than yours, but don't fear - the government knows he's here. They are the ones who let him legally stay here.

I'm more worried about the possibility of ICE agents lying and forging documents in order to deport people. If that allegation turns out true, it is a far, far bigger problem.

Trump offered 1.5 million + illegal DACA's a path to citizenship, the Dems shot it down. So round em up move em out.

edit on 17-5-2018 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   

a reply to: Gothmog

Really, if convicted under federal law, people, including american citizens, just lose all their rights?

Except for the very basic.
They have the right to continued incarceration
They have the right to continue breathing (and all that is needed for that to continue)as long as they wish.
In most cases , they have the right to the prison exercise yard.
They have the right to complain (that goes ignored in most cases)
They are criminals .
They have broken the law.
SO , I must assume you are not a US citizen ?
If that is the case , I would recommend you learn stuff about the US , before you post.
Makes for less ignorance
And that is the ATS Motto - Deny Ignorance
Except in this case , it would Prevent Ignorance.

edit on 5/17/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: timequake

I guess you are talking about one of the classifications within INS or whatever.

In layman's terms legal status just means one's position in regards to the law. There is a difference but for all practical purposes DACA existing and people signing up means they are within that legal status.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

The most basic is that you don't have a say in legal matters, just opinions.

Everything else you wrote is moot not matter how red, white and blue the blood in your veins might be.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

As lawyer speaking on legal status: no. Your opinion on what you think it means is irrelevant. E.O.'s cannot grant legal status.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

edit on 17-5-2018 by timequake because: quaduple post

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

So good you had to post it 4 times.

I already said I was using it in layman's terms so lawyer speak does not apply.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Yeah... I blame ATS on that one. Anyway, its not a matter of terms but one of actual status.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Actual status like established INS statuses? I think I mentioned that as well.

I also used the term "for all practical purposes" which I'm sure you know what that means.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

I highly doubt this is an isolated matter. In their rush to deport as many undocumented immigrants possible, short cuts are being made, assumptions are being made, families are being split, the pressure from this administration is on. While I do find it disturbing, I have to be thankful of the justice system once again doing what needs to be done. What I find interested is what a shoddy job these ICE agents did. You really couldn't come up with anything more substantiated? Did they think it'd be a walk in the park by merely pointing to a 'tattoo' and saying yep, that means he's in a gang! The nerve.

You know if they deport the whole family at once they would not be split up. Just a suggestion.

This exactly, too bad I cant Star this more than once....

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

That is worrisome if true and not an isolated case. Another worrisome part of this is the possibility of forging DACA documents, looking at them online they look to be a very easy thing to do.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

That is worrisome if true and not an isolated case. Another worrisome part of this is the possibility of forging DACA documents, looking at them online they look to be a very easy thing to do.

All documents are easy to forge these days. That's why the government requires fingerprints, that's a bit more difficult to forge.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

The most basic is that you don't have a say in legal matters, just opinions.

Everything else you wrote is moot not matter how red, white and blue the blood in your veins might be.

No , I actually denied ignorance
That fulfills my responsibility to ATS
If you wish to continue afterwards , it is all on you....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join