It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ICE claimed Dreamer was gang-affiliated and tried to deport. Federal judge ruled ICE was lying

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
What a world we live in. Any excuse to deport, never mind the family and lives involved.

The facts of Ramirez’s case are extremely disturbing. In February 2017, shortly after President Donald Trump unleashed immigration agents to amp up arrests and deportations, ICE agents went to Ramirez’s father’s house in Seattle to arrest him. (The father is undocumented, and brought Ramirez to the U.S. illegally as a child.) While there, they encountered Ramirez and asked him whether he was “legally here.” He responded that he was—a truthful statement given his DACA status, which he had renewed the previous May. Yet ICE officers detained him anyway. They took him to a processing center, where, once again, he told them that he had a work permit.

further,

A group of renowned attorneys then stepped in to defend Ramirez, arguing that virtually every action ICE had taken against their client was unlawful. They also alleged that ICE’s key claim—that Ramirez is “gang-affiliated”—was a complete falsehood. One of his lawyers, Mark Rosenbaum, presented evidence indicating that ICE had doctored Ramirez’s statement by erasing words he had written in the pencil provided to make it seem as if he had confessed to being in a gang. (The original statement asserts he has no gang affiliation.) During his initial interrogation, ICE officers asked him five times whether he belonged to a gang, and he repeatedly said no. Instead, he asserted that he had “fled California [to Washington] to escape from the gangs.”

slate.com...

I highly doubt this is an isolated matter. In their rush to deport as many undocumented immigrants possible, short cuts are being made, assumptions are being made, families are being split, the pressure from this administration is on. While I do find it disturbing, I have to be thankful of the justice system once again doing what needs to be done. What I find interested is what a shoddy job these ICE agents did. You really couldn't come up with anything more substantiated? Did they think it'd be a walk in the park by merely pointing to a 'tattoo' and saying yep, that means he's in a gang! The nerve.

+13 more 
posted on May, 17 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
DACA is not a legal status, which makes the guy an illegal alien.

That said, ICE officers should not be doctoring statements. They should just be allowed to kick illegals out of the country.
I am sure some illegals will manage to cling on through the courts, but ultimately more are getting deported. That's a good thing.

edit on 17/5/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on May, 17 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Here illegally, get the boot.

Simple.

The Dems failed to save the dreamers many times over, go blame them. They wanted to keep them in play as a sympathy card in politics, never wanting an actual solution because their vote getting issue would be solved.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
Here illegally, get the boot.

Simple.

The Dems failed to save the dreamers many times over, go blame them. They wanted to keep them in play as a sympathy card in politics, never wanting an actual solution because their vote getting issue would be solved.

Hey...as long as you're here during voting time....who cares what happens to you after!

And wow....one incident in thousands....earth shattering!

+11 more 
posted on May, 17 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

I highly doubt this is an isolated matter. In their rush to deport as many undocumented immigrants possible, short cuts are being made, assumptions are being made, families are being split, the pressure from this administration is on. While I do find it disturbing, I have to be thankful of the justice system once again doing what needs to be done. What I find interested is what a shoddy job these ICE agents did. You really couldn't come up with anything more substantiated? Did they think it'd be a walk in the park by merely pointing to a 'tattoo' and saying yep, that means he's in a gang! The nerve.

You know if they deport the whole family at once they would not be split up. Just a suggestion.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP
Even if that’s the case is it right to break up families now? Because it’s the Democrats fault?

+4 more 
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
What a world we live in. Any excuse to deport, never mind the family and lives involved.

Any excuse to keep illegals here, never mind the laws and legal citizens' best interests involved...
*spit*

link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

That said, ICE officers should not be doctoring statements. They should just be allowed to kick illegals out of the country.
I am sure some illegals will manage to cling on through the courts, but ultimately more are getting deported. That's a good thing.

It seems the agents asked if he was "legally here" and that was added in the quotation marks, so I'm guessing it matters.

DACA does not provide lawful status, but he was legally there as the government allowed him legally to be there under his deferred status. He renewed his DACA status which means he was under our protection, for now.

The fraud and forgery they engaged in I'm not even going to comment on, it's beyond words.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Actually it is a legal status and despite trying to repeal it the federal government said it would continue accepting renewal requests. That is as legal as it gets.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Even if that’s the case is it right to break up families now? Because it’s the Democrats fault?

Thats something that should have been ironed and worked out long ago. Of course it'll tear families and rightfully so.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

You do not have a right to break our laws if your not from the US and want a place here do it legally like the rest of us period

Follow the rules or change them like the rest of us are trying to do

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

No, because they are here illegally. If a citizens gets caught doing something illegal there is no quarter, no sanctuary city to run to, no get out of jail free card.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

The rules in place are what allows them to stay legally. They are following the rules so, what are you arguing about?

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The problem with this case was that it started in Seattle. This kid was a known gang member before ICE showed up. It wasn't until he tried to interfere with them arresting his dad for immigration violations that he got picked up. His brother didn't get arrested, but then again his brother didn't cause an issue for the ICE agents nor was his brother a known gang member.

Why does Seattle matter? Seattle has the most anti-law enforcement policies around. In this case as soon as ICE showed up, they were the bad guys. Regardless as to why they were there. This issue is just the most public of jokes the city of Seattle has created. If you are not from Washington you're given a nice pat on the shoulders if you commit a crime, and if you're from outside the country you also get an apology. It's all doubled if you can add in Homeless too.

Ramirez never denied being in a gang, but instead his attorney made that case for him.
King5 news 6:23 PM PST February 18, 2017

However, DHS says when asked about his involvement with gang activity, officers say Ramirez Medina stated: “No, not no more,” according to court documents.

Officers then asked about what they identified as a “gang tattoo” on his forearm and said he stated “he used to hang out with the Surenos in California….and fled California to escape from gangs,” according to the documents.

DHS says Ramirez Medina stated he still hangs out with “Paizas in Washington State,” according to the officer taking the report.

“Paizas is also a colloquial term for the Mexican people. So, one of the things we’re evaluating at this point is whether he used word paizas colloquially—I hang out with paizas, paizanos,” said Luis Cortes, one of the lawyers on the case.

King 5 is the local news channel where this happened, for those of you not in the PNW.

So he admited to being part of a gang which does violate DACA rules, but we just ignore that because of whatever. The real issue here was the guys dad who was here illegally and wanted on drug trafficing charges. If Ramirez didn't cause an issue with the ICE agents he wouldn't have been brought in, then nobody would have cared that he violated DACA rules by being in a gang. So who's really at fault here?

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I love it how members are already completely bypassing the fact ICE LIED to get this young man deported. They lied. If they were so willing to lie to get their way on this occasion, how many times have they done it before? But rights be damned? Due process be damned? Rights and protections only apply to people I agree with right?

Oh yes and DACA is still alive and well.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I sense that the "illegals don't have rights" argument is incoming.

edit on 17-5-2018 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

Thanks for clearing that up and once again, shame on the Op for politicizing events.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

No...not the truth! That does nothing for the narrative!

It's like the folks that thought it would be cool to join ISIS and kill people, then when it got tough they decided it wasn't for them anymore and wanted back in.

Sorry...consequences suck but you reap what you sow....

These hit piece stories get so old.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

No, because they are here illegally. If a citizens gets caught doing something illegal there is no quarter, no sanctuary city to run to, no get out of jail free card.

What world are you living in?

As long as we live in a nation where the laws a person has to follow depends on how much money they have we don’t live in a nation of laws. The ideological one you inhabit seems nice but that isn’t how things really are.

What concessions in your daily life would you have to make if this man stayed? Or am I correct in assuming it wouldn’t effect you in the slightest?

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

I sense that the "illegals don't have rights" argument is incoming.

In the US....they don't....

They are not citizens of the US and as such are not afforded the rights of the US.

Is there any reason they should?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join