It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ruth Marcus of The WaPo: I would’ve aborted a fetus with Down syndrome.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

those people in the videos you posted do not have severe illness

ETA:

i worked at one of the hospitals in my city for a handful of years and saw many many children that were in constant pain, almost no mental competency and would never be able to care for themselves.

and often died very early in life. i sat with a family watching their child die from muli organ failure(genetic) the child was blind, deaf and SEVEARLY mentally disabled.

is that a life you would want to bing into this world?

compassion isn't always easy
edit on 11-3-2018 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: wasobservingquietly
. . I am antiabortion,. . .

But, are you anti-choice? Do you think it is your right to make this decision for someone else?

1. My first pregnancy was a spontaneous miscarriage at 4 months
2. Year later had a daughter
3. 3 years later had another daughter
4. Few years later Chose to abort pregnancy (pill didn't work because of illness, going through divorce, pregnant from ex-hubby to be).

At least I'm qualified to speak on the subject.

edit on 11-3-2018 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Then why don’t we let people with Down’s syndrome have sex and/or breed????

WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ABORTING THEM?

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75

I was a baby my birth mother loved enough to give up for adoption. I think God anf my mother every day for giving me a chance!

Abortion is murder!

I would NEVER have a child I give up for "potluck" parenting.

What? So I can say "I did the right thing"? "It was a gift from God, I can't have God mad at me, so I went full term" - - then gave it away to someone else?

My first husband was adopted. Yes! He got lucky with reasonably good "parents".

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

I'm not saying you're slow, but only a slow person would omit the fact that I placed the word "legal" in my post.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

I was a baby my birth mother loved enough to give up for adoption. I think God anf my mother every day for giving me a chance!

Abortion is murder!

What? So I can say "I did the right thing"? "It was a gift from God, I can't have God mad at me, so I went full term" - - then gave it away to someone else?

Murder is much better than hope. /sarc
I had amazing life Did ya catch that key word?
Your a dumnss!

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Abortion is murder!

Murder is much better than hope. /sarc
I had amazing life Did ya catch that key word?
Your a dumnss!

Oh, you're one of those that must believe pregnancy is a Gift from God. Oh, YAY!

I'm one of those that believes the science of procreation. Guess what, happens in ALL species. It's really not special.

Murder? LIVING CHILDREN dying of starvation from lack of resources, care, education, etc etc etc.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3

those people in the videos you posted do not have severe illness

First of all, what is a severe illness? Secondly, so you are able to look within a womb and see that the child only has Trisomy 21, and not 18 as well?

ETA:
i worked at one of the hospitals in my city for a handful of years and saw many many children that were in constant pain, almost no mental competency and would never be able to care for themselves.
and often died very early in life. i sat with a family watching their child die from muli organ failure(genetic) the child was blind, deaf and SEVEARLY mentally disabled.
is that a life you would want to bing into this world?

OK, I'll cut you some slack here because obviously you didn't get past 3rd grade English. Are you talking about CHARGE syndrome? Is this in combination with an infection picked up during pregnancy, such as rubella (German measles), toxoplasmosis or cytomegalovirus (CMV)? You see (or maybe not) I have worked ER and ICU treating patients since 1977.
If you look into my past OP's, you notice that. You state, " i sat with a family watching their child die..." Uh ha, this is happens with me 2 or 4 times a week.

compassion isn't always easy

Speak for your self! Compassion IS easy!

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
A passerby asks them "So wait. You have all these problems and you want to have kids? Why?"

"Because that's what we want" is the only reply they have.

How is that not unbelievably selfish?

Thank you Brian Flanders.

Realistically, there is not a single legitimate unselfish reason to have a child.

However, aborting a child is an unselfish decision - - when you can't or don't want to take on that responsibility.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

in the post you quoted from is an example of severe illness.

im typing on my cell phone so excuse my typos.

what role did you have in the ICU?

acquired illnesses are no different in my mind if it is going to be catastrophic to the unborn child. if they are going to be severely damaged why is it okay to bring a suffering life into this world but in your mind not okay to take one out before it is even fully developed?

what is your stance on euthanasia ?

you said you worked in the ICU/ER, so you have seen with your own eyes terminal sedation taking place.

are you not okay helping a dying person die with dignity and without extreme pain?

i don't think you are looking at this with objective eyes.

I am not okay with random abortions just because you can't deal, there are options for a healthy normal baby being born. But to bring a child in to the world with extreme birth defects is not compassion it's cruel.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: wasobservingquietly
. . I am antiabortion,. . .

But, are you anti-choice?

What is Anti-choice? Is this like going to a buffet and not selecting the broccoli?

Do you think it is your right to make this decision for someone else?

You mean something the US Court system does on a daily basis?

1. My first pregnancy was a spontaneous miscarriage at 4 months

Sorry to hear that. It is rare that this happens. What caused the spontaneous miscarriage? Pregnancy loss at 4 weeks pregnant could also be caused by unhealthy eating habits, overexertion and hormonal imbalance. If the expectant mother suffers from conditions like stress, diabetes, hypertension, thyroid problems, polycystic ovary syndrome or an autoimmune disease, the risk of miscarriage at 4 weeks increases. The inability of the uterus to accommodate the growing baby, or unhealthy conditions within the uterus may, also lead to a miscarriages. Unhealthy habits like smoking, drug abuse and alcohol intake can further increase the chances of miscarriage at 4 weeks. You brought all this up, I'm just replying to you.

2. Year later had a daughter
3. 3 years later had another daughter
4. Few years later Chose to abort pregnancy (pill didn't work because of illness, going through divorce, pregnant from ex-hubby to be).

Divorcing your husband? Were you getting back at him this way?

At least I'm qualified to speak on the subject.

Yes, you are qualified, but not in addressing abortion.
By the way, what do you think about the ex New York Times editor Jill Abramson and her Obama doll?

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Not sure if post is really about the title or a dig at Obama...oh well I'll bite.

As far as abortion goes: until there are no unwanted or starving or abused or slaughtered children in this world: I'm pro abortion. If someone doesn't want to go through with the pregnancy, I'm fine with that. It's her body, and if she and her partner determine that they don't want to go through with the pregnancy...so be it. It's not my right to determine their course of action. Freedom, right?

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3

in the post you quoted from is an example of severe illness.

im typing on my cell phone so excuse my typos.

what role did you have in the ICU?

acquired illnesses are no different in my mind if it is going to be catastrophic to the unborn child. if they are going to be severely damaged why is it okay to bring a suffering life into this world but in your mind not okay to take one out before it is even fully developed?

what is your stance on euthanasia ?

Really? Like you have to ask? It's murder!

you said you worked in the ICU/ER, so you have seen with your own eyes terminal sedation taking place.

NO! NEVER! Now you getting insulting!

are you not okay helping a dying person die with dignity and without extreme pain?

I have initiated IV pain killers like FeNTanyl, Morphine, DilaUDid, ‎Ultiva and many others on both inpatient and hospice settings.
But your still OK with murdering Down's Syndrome patients right? Do too your never ending ridiculous questions, I'll now ignore you!

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   

okay so your a nurse, got it.

euthanasia no matter how hard you try to make it, is not murder.

again i will go back to the hospital setting, have you ever had the 'pleasure' of trying to treat a child with parents who belong to a wacky religion that doesn't let you give said child life saving medications? is that murder? it is premeditated and ends someone's life. that is the definition of murder but still happens all the time with little fan fair

terminal sedation is used more than you might admit, but you know for a fact it happens.

in nursing homes when a person is dying they will load them up with morphine and some benzo and when they stop breathing they tell the family they died of natural causes. when in reality the staff caused that persons death(at the families and persons wish.) is that murder? or compassion?

where is the line?

when a fetus is not even fully developed and not conscious how is that murder? the 'person' does not exist yet, is a body? yes, but not a person.

if you know your child is going to have extreme and possible life ending health issues how is that not compassion to end their suffering before it starts?

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Because we decide not to let them breed for a reason..

Because the baby will almost certainly have the same affliction.

What is refusing to let them breed , if not abortion before the fact????

If downs were not considered a hugely negative affliction that can corrupt your family line for all generations to come. Then we let them breed freely..

Do you not think someone with downs wouldn’t enjoy sexual pleasure?!?

Of course they would and do, but we stop them from ever experiencing that (if possible) specifically to avoid creating more Down’s syndrome people.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Violater1

Sorry to hear that. It is rare that this happens. What caused the spontaneous miscarriage? Pregnancy loss at 4 weeks pregnant could also be caused by unhealthy eating habits, overexertion and hormonal imbalance.

4 month spontaneous abortion. None of what you mention apply to me. It happens.

Divorcing your husband? Were you getting back at him this way?

He was jealous of his own children. He did not want to share me. When your 4 year old says to you: "Why does daddy hate me", it's time to make a choice. The pregnancy was unfortunate, but I sure as hell wasn't gonna bring another child into the situation. I chose the welfare of my LIVING CHILDREN.

Yes, you are qualified, but not in addressing abortion.

Have you had an abortion? I have. What is your qualification for addressing it?

By the way, what do you think about the ex New York Times editor Jill Abramson and her Obama doll?

What the hell does that have to do with this?

edit on 11-3-2018 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

That is assuming she is really a nurse..

I have a hard time believing that a nurse , who had witnessed all the needless suffering a nurse would almost certainly witness, is anti euthanasia.

It is just so easy on the internet to claim “authority “ through some fictional occupation that none of us can verify.

I’m the only idiot on here typing under their own name, mainly because I used Facebook to register and am too lazy to change it..plus I kinda like being able to claim I’m willing to say what I say under my own name.. but still..

It is just hard to imagaine a real nurse that has watched countless suffering would be pro-more useless suffering..

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

ohh i agree, obviously.

but there are medical professionals who have a hard stance on such things. not many but they are there, trust me on that.

MD's, nurses, etc are people to, and that means some cant see past the nose on their own face.

ETA:

i feel like people should be able to make an informed decision about their life and if they are a woman the life they may bring forth into this world. and if the family/mother agrees that the suffering of the child would be worse than death, there are choices to be made.

this is an argument that you will never change the oppositions mind of no matter what you believe, because at the end of the day they are opposing beliefs and with the few willing to look objectively, it takes a lot of integrity to admit you were wrong and change a belief system
edit on 11-3-2018 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I'm a little surprised Sarah Palin hasn't addressed this comment.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

i worked for 8 years training kids with downs syndrome job skills. it was a wonderful rewarding job - best one I've ever had. my son's disability wouldn't allow, for him, such a thing.

those vidoes, using those kids as political pawns, makes me sad.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join