It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida residents force to remove garden or pay daily fines

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Well, here is completely retarded governance at work in sunny Florida.
Apparently you cannot have a veggie garden in your front yard if you live in the community of Miami Shores...

Here the story from the Miami Herald.
Let me know what you think.
no veggies for you.
edit on 12-12-2017 by Hewhowaits because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Link doesn't work. I note it shows, Front yards, does this mean that can have it in their back yard and not have to pay fines?

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Fixed link.

Yes they can't have it in their front yard, even though they had maintained it for 17 years. Apparently their backyard didn't have enough sunlight..

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
Link doesn't work. I note it shows, Front yards, does this mean that can have it in their back yard and not have to pay fines?

Should it matter? My yard is my yard.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Hewhowaits

Is that 'community' part of an HOA? Same here. They don't mind if you plant a plant or two, as long as it doesn't produce any food.

Competition with the Industrial Food Complex is not allowed in the NWO.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

Agreed, it's my yard and i pay the taxes...
It it was something offensive like breadfruit, I would understand. But it looks like a really nice, well thought out yard/garden.
I would be p.o.'d.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Yes, you can grow them in your backyard there.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Sounds like it's something like that. I don't know when the rules came into effect though.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Remember that story where the police killed the guys dog and made hm out off its head?

I see it now, the cops show up and make the homeowners cut down all the vegetables they worked so hard to grow.

State of harassment.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=22948132]Hewhowaits[/post

I lived in Florida for a while and that place is just plain crazy! I lived in a luxury townhouse community. It had a Nazi HOA. I had a little porch and very very expensive furniture, plants and a high end grill. I got a ticket for having my grill on my front porch. They sent a letter to everyone telling them to put their grills in the garage. The fire department then told them that propane tanks in the very hot garage was a bad idea and a fire hazard. So then they made up some weird rule that we could only grill 100 ft from our back garage, which would put my grill in my neighbors garage. Leaving that place was the best ever!

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hewhowaits

Sounds like it's something like that. I don't know when the rules came into effect though.

I never knew about HOAs until I lived in one. The rules don't allow private businesses, garage sales, vegetable gardens, and a host of other Gestapo tactics enforced by board members who let each other violate the 'rules' with impunity.
edit on 12-12-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Florida HOA's and HOA's in the midwest are very different. My HOA right now pretty much lets us do anything we want, there are no fees. It is mostly there to structure what kind of houses are built here, and nothing crazy like a neighbor that wanted to butt up a sports court with industrial lighting right against another neighbor's yard. Luckily we can build sheds, plant whatever we want, have fences and pretty much anything normal.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Florida HOA's and HOA's in the midwest are very different. My HOA right now pretty much lets us do anything we want, there are no fees. It is mostly there to structure what kind of houses are built here, and nothing crazy like a neighbor that wanted to butt up a sports court with industrial lighting right against another neighbor's yard. Luckily we can build sheds, plant whatever we want, have fences and pretty much anything normal.

How small or rural is you HOA?

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Very small and very rural now, but I lived in a larger one in Illinois and it was very relaxed also. The one in Illinois was just to pay for upkeep of the entrance sign and landscape, I don't recall the covenants actually forbidding anything and if they did it sure wasn't enforced.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Yeah, this ridiculous state of affairs with property and personal rights is completely insane.
What's the motivation to be a homeowner if you don't have any say over your property.? If I had my way, there would be no developers, no hoa's, or any other stazi styled living rules. There needs to be benefits for all the work/money/time people put into owning property. This kind of stuff doesn't encourage anyone to want to be a homeowner/tax payer... let alone all the liability you get with it.
edit on 12-12-2017 by Hewhowaits because: Was stuffing my face with meatloaf and got distracted...

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Look as much as we want to rail against big government, this place is governed by an HOA. When you buy in such an area (no different than say an apartment complex) you agree to live by a set of rules. if you don't want to then you have to either move, don't buy, or attempt to take over the HOA.

It sucks for these people, but them are the rules

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

Should it matter? My yard is my yard.

Lowers the property value of other houses on your block.

Apparently, only cut green lawns are worth money.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Hewhowaits

I actually live relatively close to the house. Miami Shores does seem to take real good care of the Village.

This however seems to be a bit of over reach by the city.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Sounds like local bureaucrats with no common sense. On the one hand, I understand why there are zoning laws and such. They protect the neighborhood from people with no taste. On the other hand, their garden seems to be well kept and rather harmless, so it is amazing that some local bureaucrat had time to make a big deal out of this.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

That is true. But there should at least be a community committee so people can talk about things like this and vote to decide if it's OK for a person to propose a change/varience or something to that effect.
I've never lived in an hoa si I don't really know what options are available.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join