It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Jesse Jackson's turn in the sexual harassment hotseat.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   
It would appear it is the Reverend Jesse Jackson's turn for a trip down memory lane and some sexual harassment stories.

The Root.com

I used to work for a very popular media company, and we had a meeting that ended with a keynote speech by the living legend, the Rev. Jesse Jackson. So, of course, the conference room was packed wall-to-wall. After Jackson’s riveting and inspiring speech about the responsibility of black journalists, we all lined up to take a photo with him. One by one, we stepped up, shared a few words and thank-yous with Jackson, snapped photos and went back to our desks. Simple enough, right? I walked toward Jackson, smiling, and he smiled back at me. His eyes scanned my entire body. All of a sudden, I felt naked in my sweater and jeans. As I walked within arm’s reach of him, Jackson reached out a hand and grabbed my thigh, saying, “I like all of that right there!” and gave my thigh a tight squeeze. I was shocked, to say the least. Even though Jackson had had his hand reached out, I had no idea that he would touch me in a sexual way.

How do we look at this?
Was she harassed, in your opinion?
She thinks that she was, who am I to say that she wasn't?

Will this open any floodgates of women talking about their experiences with him?

edit on b000000312017-12-06T07:42:08-06:0007America/ChicagoWed, 06 Dec 2017 07:42:08 -0600700000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Pics of that or shut down the witch hunt. after all it was a Photo OP, filmed by the media?

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
It would appear it is the Reverend Jesse Jackson's turn for a trip down memory lane and some sexual harassment stories.

The Root.com

I used to work for a very popular media company, and we had a meeting that ended with a keynote speech by the living legend, the Rev. Jesse Jackson. So, of course, the conference room was packed wall-to-wall. After Jackson’s riveting and inspiring speech about the responsibility of black journalists, we all lined up to take a photo with him. One by one, we stepped up, shared a few words and thank-yous with Jackson, snapped photos and went back to our desks. Simple enough, right? I walked toward Jackson, smiling, and he smiled back at me. His eyes scanned my entire body. All of a sudden, I felt naked in my sweater and jeans. As I walked within arm’s reach of him, Jackson reached out a hand and grabbed my thigh, saying, “I like all of that right there!” and gave my thigh a tight squeeze. I was shocked, to say the least. Even though Jackson had had his hand reached out, I had no idea that he would touch me in a sexual way.

How do we look at this?
She think that she was, who am I to say that she wasn't?

Will this open any floodgates of women talking about their experiences with him?

Or the numerous mistresses that Martin Luther King had while married?

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Pics of that or shut down the witch hunt. after all it was a Photo OP, filmed by the media?

I agree he should be given the presumption of innocence.

But to say it couldnt have happened if there arent pics?

That is ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I'm not surprised. He never struck me as honest
All lives are important. Sooner we ALL feel that way then the sooner we can get back on track to a better planet.

Running a civil rights movement based upon black lives being the ones to matter was just the wrong approach from the go. How do you fix racism by being racist to every other race. Two wrongs don't fix jack.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

originally posted by: butcherguy

The Root.com

How do we look at this?
She think that she was, who am I to say that she wasn't?

Or the numerous mistresses that Martin Luther King had while married?

Off topic.

But during the whole tear down statues debacle, I said that there were allegations that Dr King was a womanizer, and many years in the future people may use that as an excuse to tear down his statues.

Perhaps that day will be sooner than I realized.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

I agree he should be given the presumption of innocence.

But to say it couldnt have happened if there arent pics?

That is ridiculous.

For the MSM too splash it gives it main stream credence, all thats necessary to discredit another Icon.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv
I am not surprised either.
He has already admitted to fathering the children of one of his aides.
New York Times

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Oh look, the daily totally unsubstantiated accusation of something incredibly minor that will be blown out of all proportion and have an enormous detrimental impact on someone's life, despite it being totally unproven.

Yay! Take that patriarchy!

And wtf is this?:

I walked toward Jackson, smiling, and he smiled back at me. His eyes scanned my entire body. All of a sudden, I felt naked in my sweater and jeans.

So, translation: "I was walking towards him and he looked at me, and I decided I didn't like it, therefore he's a sexual deviant and should be treated accordingly"

What a blatant attempt to elicit an emotional response, to provoke disgust (based on nothing but a 'feeling she got') to try and add some gravity to an otherwise unproven accusation of something completely minor and of no substance otherwise.

I said it before and I'll say it again; even if this did happen as she described (zero proof at this point), on the scale of 'bad # that happens to people' this doesn't even register... this crap totally belittles the genuinely horrible experiences of sexual assault that many people experience and desensitizes huge swathes of the population due to the sheer volume and inconsequential nature of these unsubstantiated incidents...

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
The grab and comment alone without considering anything else is considered sexual harassment in the workplace.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
The grab and comment alone without considering anything else is considered sexual harassment in the workplace.

Absolutely.
You can be dismissed for just saying the wrong thing, no touching required.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Good lord, are you still pulling this s##t?

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I know right! Demanding proof of an unsubstantiated accusation regarding an incident that supposedly took place in front of literally hundreds of potential witnesses.

Lunacy.

Can't we just skip straight to ruining his career and destroying his life ffs?

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indrasweb
a reply to: Aliensun

I know right! Demanding proof of an unsubstantiated accusation regarding an incident that supposedly took place in front of literally hundreds of potential witnesses.

Lunacy.

Can't we just skip straight to ruining his career and destroying his life ffs?

Again, I for one will allow him the presumption of innocence.

However, perhaps this will make Jackson think twice before calling people racist with no evidence in an effort toruin their lives based solely on the accusation.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Yes,

There is a delicious kind of irony in that, I will admit. However, whilst it is tempting to indulge in a kind of smug schadenfreude, that line of thinking is dangerous.

If we allow potential injustices to stand because we feel like the person was somehow 'asking for it', or deserves it due to their past misdemeanors, we are on a very slippery slope indeed.
edit on 6-12-2017 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   

I'm beginning to believe that the Rep's have taken a page out of the Dem's playbook and are executing it at a higher level of efficiency than the Dem's ever could.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Yes,

There is a delicious kind of irony in that, I will admit. However, whilst it is tempting to indulge in a kind of smug schadenfreude, that line of thinking is dangerous.

If we allow potential injustices to stand because we feel like the person was somehow 'asking for it', or deserves it due to their past misdemeanors, we are on a very slippery slope indeed.

Well I am not doing that.

I have called for accused on all sides to not be judged based merely on the accusation; Moore, Franken, Conyers, even people like Weinstein deserve a fair trial.

There is definitely a danger to declaring someone guilty based on only an accusation.

Despite the fact that people like Conyers and Jackson have made a career out of that; I will not let that stop me from defending their presumption on innocence.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't meaning to imply that you specifically were doing that. It was a general observation.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't meaning to imply that you specifically were doing that. It was a general observation.

Oh no need to apologize, I didnt take it that way, I new you were speaking in general.

I think we both agree, our like or dislike of a person should not change our position.

People should be granted the presumption of innocence, and we should also take allegations serious while doing this.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join