It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Athiests vs The Religious Conspiracy... Explain to Me Why Believers Believe.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I began my personal journey in this life, believing in the "God" of the Bible. I read every word of the Bible, and took it so seriously that I even attained a mediocre ability to read the text in its original Hebrew & Greek Language. My journey into this turned me into an Atheist. Let me make this clear, The reading of the Bible literally turned me Atheist.

I have always wondered, if people who claim to be of a professed religious ideal actually read their own text. What makes you believe in a God if you do? I am honestly curious about it. An interesting video I saw that made me ponder this question again now was:

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: BStoltman

Why would anyone have to explain or justify what they think to anyone??
Its a personal journey...live and let live no matter what you believe or don't believe.

Sometimes the most shallow river is the one that makes the most noise.

BOOM!!!

edit on 27-11-2017 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-11-2017 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Gotta run right now. Tagging so I do not forget to come back later.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ABNARTY

Gotta run right now. Tagging so I do not forget to come back later.

Look at the top right of any thread select subscribe job done.

As for the OP forced to learn at school, then forced to go to church etc thats how many still believe , over 3000 god(s) on Earth, Man created god.
edit on 27-11-2017 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
If one only always itself to venture away from its neighborhood of the local church, then one would understand that people of all nations have a view of their God or origin. You feel that once you leave or move away from the nation that you were born in.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I agree with you, Almost none have read the whole thing.. like literally I bet only 2% have read it all.. and it is not that freaking long..

I bet a compiled copy of “game of thrones or Harry Potter” whole series would be longer.

In fact I have started a couple threads asking

“if you really believe then why has almost no one ever read the entire thing??”

Or

“Should you have to read the Bible to be considered a christian??”

They have read Harry Potter a lot of times, but the actual Devine word of god??

No need..

The logic their is just crazy, lol..

In reality, though some of the stories are decent, the Bible is just a horribly dry read..

It is written for a different age and is really a compilation of various stories, from various authors, so it contradicts itself quite a bit and doesn’t have a cohesive narrative.

edit on 27-11-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   

I have always wondered, if people who claim to be of a professed religious ideal actually read their own text. What makes you believe in a God if you do?

Most die hard 'believers' were conditioned to that belief as children.

They attended church with their parents from an early age, had it programmed into them.

The earliest focus is on believing without any doubt, this is called faith, any doubt is the devil creeping into your thoughts.

Wash rinse repeat.

I don't care who you are, the earlier the programming the more solid it becomes later in life.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Why I believe in God in three minutes or less: The universe started somehow. That beginning had a beginning. The universe seems to have a consciousness, that consciousness had a beginning. That consciousness is bigger than I am, and everyone else combined. I can dream, which to me seems to be a communication of some sort. And I believe that I have died before – and I saw my body. I also believe that this is all just an illusion- but it is a logical illusion. I could go on, but I have to get my kids ready for school! Which is another reason why I believe in God. I asked and I received.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

Why would anyone have to explain or justify what they think to anyone??

He isn't demanding, he is asking..inviting.

You don't have to explain, that doesn't mean others don't want to. Sometimes if you don't want to participate in a discussion, maybe just don't post.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
God has lots of cause and affect, whereas the absence of God has no affect if you believe what you say.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Super duper agnostic here:

It takes faith to insist that gods / a god exist.

Just like it does to insist that such noun(s) dont exist.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

What makes you believe in a God if you do?

My own personal journey does. "Seek and ye shall find."

Here's the thing about the bible. If you read it in a way that you are trying to find contradictions, then that is all you will find. However if you lose that mindset, and read scripture in a prayerful way, then hidden meanings begin to reveal themselves to you. Often in many layers. Jesus spoke in parables and metaphors for this reason.

“I searched for God and found only myself. I searched for myself and found only God.”

-Rumi

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: apydomis
Why I believe in God in three minutes or less: The universe started somehow. That beginning had a beginning. The universe seems to have a consciousness, that consciousness had a beginning. That consciousness is bigger than I am, and everyone else combined. I can dream, which to me seems to be a communication of some sort. And I believe that I have died before – and I saw my body. I also believe that this is all just an illusion- but it is a logical illusion. I could go on, but I have to get my kids ready for school! Which is another reason why I believe in God. I asked and I received.
So you could have just as easily said i don't know. But you insist the answer is god, why? where would a god come from?
edit on 27-11-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I think believing in a deity and religion allows a person to have comfort and structure. If a person has that, then the alternative to consider is to remove both comfort and structure, and people will fight against that, even if it means accepting things that fly in the face of rationality.

People have no big issue going from one religion to another because it offers something that fills the gap as it takes away something. Becoming skeptical of religion and gods is removal without replacement, so there is no gain in switching to a non-belief unless your lifestyle itself and desires are held back by the religion you subscribe to

Religion is a interesting trap.

A more interesting question is why people believe in paranormal vs dismissal of anything paranormal. That has a lot more nuances and some quantifiable (if only personal) evidence supporting them

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
I think believing in a deity and religion allows a person to have comfort and structure. If a person has that, then the alternative to consider is to remove both comfort and structure, and people will fight against that, even if it means accepting things that fly in the face of rationality.

People have no big issue going from one religion to another because it offers something that fills the gap as it takes away something. Becoming skeptical of religion and gods is removal without replacement, so there is no gain in switching to a non-belief unless your lifestyle itself and desires are held back by the religion you subscribe to

A more interesting question is why people believe in paranormal vs dismissal of anything paranormal. That has a lot more nuances and some quantifiable (if only personal) evidence supporting them
yes I agree some people just want to be told what to believe and what to do, how to live. It makes it a lot easier than trying to figure things out for yourself at least you have some group support , And a way to fit in. I was talking about music to a friend of mine who doesn't understand why people don't like all of the same music he does. he looks for odd bands that most people of never heard of, but most people just want to know what is popular, what everyone else is listening to.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   

The video was boring and offered nothing of substance.

He begins by prefacing that he is not intent on “calling out anyone’s belief systems”, however, his entire premise was to “call out” Christianity.

He then went on to proclaim that he was a serious Biblical student who worked with Hebrew and Greek “transliterations”. To transliterate a word means to take it from its original language, and spell it phonetically in another language. This does absolutely nothing to enrich one’s understanding of deeper held meanings.

He claims a higher level of Biblical understanding than practicing Christians, however, he erroneously said that Jesus taught “eye for an eye”, which he did not. The guy couldn’t even remember the name of the greatest and most famous monotheistic patriarch; Abraham.

The guy in the video initially denies the existence of any God or Deity, but then begins to express his beliefs as an Agnostic. Purely hypocritical. He expressed more “maybes” and “what if’s” than any substantial knowledge or information.

edit on 11/27/17 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: apydomis
Everybody is entitled to their belief whether correct or misguided. Why I don't believe in a God or having lived before in 20 seconds because the idea of a God and having lived before is just ridiculously absurd and there are sufficient self evident reasons why in the past, present and to be future! But live and let live anyway!

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

originally posted by: SaturnFX

yes I agree some people just want to be told what to believe and what to do, how to live. It makes it a lot easier than trying to figure things out for yourself at least you have some group support , And a way to fit in. I was talking about music to a friend of mine who doesn't understand why people don't like all of the same music he does. he looks for odd bands that most people of never heard of, but most people just want to know what is popular, what everyone else is listening to.
It's called a crutch due to lack of self belief!

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

There either is a God or there isn't . Better to believe and find out there is none then to not believe and find out there is .At least working from that premise I have come to believe more and more that there is .

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Are you the youtube channel owner Arcanum Luminarium? Just curious

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join