It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Trek is dead, fire at will!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
...many kids nowadays don't even know who Dick Tracy is.

Wasn't he Bush's vice president?

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

When you start the story at episode five you can go just about anywhere. There's always a way to weave histories when it spans decades.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Nooooo! You make no sense! Why are you a thing?!

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I liked the original star treks. They are the reason we have cell phones. Our tricorders are right in our phones though.

The show Star trek actually got people interested in inventing this technology. Nobody really wanted to talk into their shoe like Maxwell Smart did.

Cell phone technology was created in the 1940's.

That was two way radio technology, I had the bag phone for years. I thought about getting a satellite cellphone back in the eighties, those were pretty big too, you needed a holster for those. Not like the flip phones on Star Trek.

I read that the desire of the Trekkies actually made it possible to create the modern Cell phone. It was my generation that developed the modern Cell phone, well, the flip phone. They were the ones in charge.

Strangely, most of the computers were created by my generation, they utilized the next generation to make them. But the owners of the companies were older. sixties and seventies high school people were involved in creating a lot of stuff which led to a whole bunch of unnecessary crap being created by the next generations.

There is way too much technology now, it seems silly, people cannot think on their own anymore, they have to use technology.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: Painterz

So did SGU. Unless the UK loves it that is all meaningless. The proof is that droves of generational fans are watching Orville and calling it the new Trek.

From an outsiders perspective its all the same. To a Trekkie its not designed to catch us.

DS9 people came around to Voyager like Voyager fan boys came around to DS9. It was still made for us.

This is not made for people who made the franchise.

Good luck creating generational cult following with this.

Its not just different. Different is to be expected. Bad would also be different like better would.

This is bad.

You sound as if by calling yourself a trekkie that the world owes you a startrek created the way that you want it to be?

I can get that you don't like the new show but everything has to evolve and adapt or it becomes stale.

How many episodes of tos or tng could you have keeping it within your defined boundries before it was just repeating itself over and over and nobody watched it anymore?

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Right now .... The Orville > STD.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico
a reply to: rickymouse

The Shadow would kick Tracy's ass!

I read Dick Tracy comics in the early sixties, they weren't that popular anymore in the late sixties. Spidy and Batman and the sort took over later on. The girls had one called veronica or something like that, my sister bought those kind of comics.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

The Second World War made military use of radio telephony links. Hand-held radio transceivers have been available since the 1940s. Mobile telephones for automobiles became available from some telephone companies in the 1940s. Early devices were bulky, consumed high power, and the network supported only a few simultaneous conversations. Modern cellular networks allow automatic and pervasive use of mobile phones for voice and data communications.

In the United States, engineers from Bell Labs began work on a system to allow mobile users to place and receive telephone calls from automobiles, leading to the inauguration of mobile service on 17 June 1946 in St. Louis, Missouri. Shortly after, AT&T offered Mobile Telephone Service. A wide range of mostly incompatible mobile telephone services offered limited coverage area and only a few available channels in urban areas. The introduction of cellular technology, which allowed re-use of frequencies many times in small adjacent areas covered by relatively low powered transmitters, made widespread adoption of mobile telephones economically feasible. Source

The technology predates the franchise by decades and it was conceptualized in the early 1900's.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

...many kids nowadays don't even know who Dick Tracy is.

Wasn't he Bush's vice president?

Isn't Bush a type of beer?

No, bush's vice was the lawyer terminator wasn't he?
edit on 4-11-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I speak for myself and I am not alone.

We didnt want a prequel. We wanted to go forward.

Check

We didnt like the retcon so this was going to be prime universe. Love how its not. Lies.

Check.

We love lens flare.

Check.

We love the "new" new terrible klingons.

Check.

We love how everything is more advanced though its set in the past.

Check.

We love how all of a sudden spock has a half sister and she can mind meld across space.

Check.

Love how the main character is the only developed role and she is about as anti Trek ethos as there is.

Also, isnt she HUMAN and was adopted by vulcans?
Why is she trying to be Vulcan? Do they even know what that is anymore?

But I COULD go on about things we are all saying. As a community that kept Trek alive.

Just look at game sales.

Trek games all sucked until a mod was made for it by a Trekkie and all of a sudden you have a community generating content that keeps your game being played....merch being sold....

Now we lose Trek by us thanks to CBS suing and this is what we get?

Klingons are white nationalists and the first officer is an asshole?

Also, the ship. It is crap. REALLY UGLY.

The klingons wear drag and everything shoots lazerzzzzzz.

edit on 11 4 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Star Trek is a lot like pizza. They come in different sizes and flavors. Not everyone is going to like the pizza of the day. Like STD took a little getting used to as the technology is ahead of the ST timeline. I look at it this way, it's another alternate reality ST that doesn't know it's an alternate reality.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I've really enjoyed it so far.

Just can't understand why they called her 'Michael'

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

"You will accept the social conditioning. You will accept the social conditioning. You will accept the social conditioning..."

Even Hollywood is losing their propaganda war! Political Correctness is having a slow death, people are awakening!

Comcast vs. the Cord Cutters

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

The Second World War made military use of radio telephony links. Hand-held radio transceivers have been available since the 1940s. Mobile telephones for automobiles became available from some telephone companies in the 1940s. Early devices were bulky, consumed high power, and the network supported only a few simultaneous conversations. Modern cellular networks allow automatic and pervasive use of mobile phones for voice and data communications.

In the United States, engineers from Bell Labs began work on a system to allow mobile users to place and receive telephone calls from automobiles, leading to the inauguration of mobile service on 17 June 1946 in St. Louis, Missouri. Shortly after, AT&T offered Mobile Telephone Service. A wide range of mostly incompatible mobile telephone services offered limited coverage area and only a few available channels in urban areas. The introduction of cellular technology, which allowed re-use of frequencies many times in small adjacent areas covered by relatively low powered transmitters, made widespread adoption of mobile telephones economically feasible. Source

The technology predates the franchise by decades and it was conceptualized in the early 1900's.

My old bagphone was just like the cellphones you saw on TV in hollywood shows, two way radios. It was way different than cell phones now, it cut out when you talked to someone else. Some phones now have antiinterference software in them so they block the signal so only one person talks at a time, that is a step back, but possibly necessary now with everyone using the phones not in phone style with cordless technology to headphones. That cutting out of stuff reminds me of my old bagphone, words cut off. I think this newest phone technology is getting strange, it is going backwards. I guess since not that many people use phones as phones, texting instead, it doesn't matter. Even my housephone has that dampener built in and blocks things others say, you have to ask what they said sometimes, it gets cut off.

When cell phones got up here, I had the seventh phone sold, having had a bag phone for five or six years prior. There weren't many phones back then, it was a minimum of a hundred bucks a month and at a buck a minute, you did not use them unless necessary.
edit on 4-11-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I get where you are coming from but you are still talking as if you have some kind of ownership of something that does not in anyway belong to you.

Maybe they figured that the trekkies would rip apart anything they did and pull up all kinds of trivialities that went against cannon or what trekkies thought was right and just made what they wanted the evolution of startrek to be.

If it was me I would be reluctant to attempt to create something a self imposed hardcore group of geeks would accept as it would never meet the minute critera they somehow think they have a right to demand.

Maybe in hindsight it will be liked by more hardcore fans or maybe things will happen and be revealed that make more sense.

Maybe it will bomb and be ridiculed by all for ever more who knows.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail
I've really enjoyed it so far.

Just can't understand why they called her 'Michael'

you get the feeling that even the cast wonder that every time they say the name.

The sound track reminds me a lot of fringe for some reason so I wonder if an alternate realisty thing is going on and it is a hint.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

It's already been given the green light for season 2.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

As an actual member of Starfleet, I agree with you.

I never left Star Trek, Star Trek left me.

I'm so angry, I'm going to take a bullhorn and yell at a statue of a football player taking a knee.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

All of that is irrelevant because the technology was there in the 1940's. It just functions on a different network now which enables the recycling of frequencies.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: SlowNail

Because gender is fluid and a strong woman with a male name would send that message.

Not like Trek was behind in this dept or anything.

Black captains, female captains, alien everything, first interracial kiss on TV, asian officers and so on.

But why not. We should be reminded of things we squared away while watching Trek.

Racism is gone in the Trek universe for example but I bet our boring main character will face racism eventually.

Maybe even sexism. Joy.

Its just not Trek. Its generic scifi.

I would like it more as a stand alone show.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join