It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bought a diesel. What do I need to know?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 02:50 AM
link   
So I bought a car with a diesel turbo engine. Can I expect major differences in the upkeep of the car? I know what to check and how to check a gasoline engine but I know nothing about diesel engines.

Anyone else driving a diesel that can give me some tips? I do have the original Owner's Manual and history of maintenance. It has 179k miles on it, which I am told is "just broken in."

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I had a 2010 Dodge Ram diesel. The US government put so many restrictions on the engine that it would soot up and need expensive cleaning. The emissions would also rob it of power, if you took all the EPA crap off it it would run great, but that's a federal crime. People do it all the time, just saying it wasn't good for me. Europe loves diesel, not as big here, I'm sticking with gas, less issues with reliability. Now comes those who think it's the greatest invention ever! Enjoy your new vehicle anyways.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Don't put gas in it.

Pladuim

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22
This is a 1981 model so I'm not sure how much of the EPA stuff is on it. It's a Mercedes so I'm not sure about the emissions but it is something to consider. It runs and handles quite nicely. We took it out for a Sunday spin on some back country curvy roads today and enjoyed it a lot.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pladuim
Don't put gas in it.

Pladuim

LOL! I've already been reminding myself to be aware of that...after nearly fifty years of pulling up to the gas pump, I have to remember to find a diesel pump.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt 81 and 82 Mercedes are great cars! The gears might come not as swiftly as on new vehicle, but you'll have no problems unless your oil runs out(pun).

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

I was kinda joking, kinda being serious. I had a coworker fill up a diesel truck with gasoline. I went down the road about 2 miles and then started jerking and making all kinds of funny noises, 6 hours away from the office. Needless to say, he had to find another job.

Pladuim

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Pladuim
I had family members that had great difficulties after one brother filled the other brother's diesel with gasoline.... The rest of us can laugh about it... I have to remind myself not to be THAT WOMAN who messed up a perfectly good car.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Do not ever run out of diesel.

It is a hectic problem you do not need.

Filter and oil changes are best done on schedule otherwise it should serve you well.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 03:45 AM
link   

You need to know that you have joined poison the earth club. You need to know that you are now committing a gross crime of destruction upon the climate.

You need to know that your car will be banned in 2030s all over the earth and you will have to drive electric.

You need to know that you are hurting my lungs and I am really pissed at you about it and your disgusting lazy selfish behavior will be taking years off my life.

You need to know that nature probably hates you for it. Your own body responds by becoming obese as you can no longer be bothered to exercise. You need to know that this behavior and a crappy unnatural diet will send you to your grave even earlier than me who you are poisoning. You need to know that for every selfish action there is a karmic reaction.

Forgedaboudit!!! There are billions of you. However, this does not mean safety in numbers. It just means nature gets to solve the population problem a lot more quickly when overload occurs.

Meep meep!

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 03:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Argentbenign
a reply to: diggindirt 81 and 82 Mercedes are great cars! The gears might come not as swiftly as on new vehicle, but you'll have no problems unless your oil runs out(pun).

A gearhead relative of mine did some research on it and says it is a limited edition but I shouldn't have any trouble getting parts. He's not a diesel guy but he's eager to get his hands on it to learn about diesels. He was getting married this weekend or I suspect he would have had his head in it.
Not performing like a new vehicle is the least of my worries. I've driven a ton of new and gently used vehicles but couldn't find one that struck my fancy. This machine feels like a car should feel to me. We tooled around in it for a couple of hours and didn't get the pain in the back that most new vehicles give us.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 04:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Timely
Thanks. I didn't know that but I'm pretty careful about never letting a vehicle fall much below the halfway mark. It was a habit I cultivated when I was working a job that put me "on call" and stopping to get gas was wasting valuable time. I'm pretty good on keeping check on fluid levels and routine maintenance of gas engines. I'm just wondering if there are additional things that a diesel engine would need that a gas engines don't require?

Since 1985 I've been driving a 1978 Chrysler LeBaron and it still runs like a top and gets great gas mileage. Sadly, parts are really scarce for it so I've had to force myself to plan for when some vital part can't be had. Seems that the great "Car Crushing" of some years back took most of the '70s cars---well, not the muscle cars---the family sedan types.

I feel like the old dog trying to learn new tricks.
(The headlight dimmer is on the column, not the floor. etc.)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9
Hey, maybe I can get myself one of those electronic horns that does the meep, meep!
Thanks for the suggestion!

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

I think someone needs a new set of spark plugs!

Thankfully, the OP will never need new spark plugs.

Your hate of others will be your undoing.

P

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I live in the NE and it gets rather cold here. Below zero temps, my fuel will start to gel. I had to install an electronic fuel pump and heater for those cold morning drives.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Better hope the previous owners followed maintenance guidelines,otherwise you may have bought a money pit,do not overheat them,parts and repair expensive,they are not indestructable,ask a mechanic

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358
Now, now, that post was a source of great inspiration to me. I kinda like the idea of a classic Mercedes with a Road Runner horn. I'd become "Granny Road Runner" in the neighborhood. Imagine the smiles of the senior citizens like me when I honk that Road Runner horn at them as I'm tooling by...

(Note: I'm in the South. We say "Hi" by tooting our horns. It's a friendly gesture in the South.)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

You need to know that you have joined poison the earth club. You need to know that you are now committing a gross crime of destruction upon the climate.

You need to know that your car will be banned in 2030s all over the earth and you will have to drive electric.

You need to know that you are hurting my lungs and I am really pissed at you about it and your disgusting lazy selfish behavior will be taking years off my life.

You need to know that nature probably hates you for it. Your own body responds by becoming obese as you can no longer be bothered to exercise. You need to know that this behavior and a crappy unnatural diet will send you to your grave even earlier than me who you are poisoning. You need to know that for every selfish action there is a karmic reaction.

Forgedaboudit!!! There are billions of you. However, this does not mean safety in numbers. It just means nature gets to solve the population problem a lot more quickly when overload occurs.

Meep meep!

You need to know that not one single Murican cares as long as it is inexpensive sadly...

Glad I'm in France in a way...

We citizens in Europe try to respect what our planet offers without taking her for advantage... Look at the deaths your present and past Gvts have caused because of the greed from the citizens...

In the long run you only have yourselves to blame.

No matter who you voted in over the past 200 years you citizens are the guilty for not assuming.... you are a pathetic few who only have division in your minds (IMO).

Live and learn with your mistakes, try to resolve them but STOP adding innocents from other countries to your wish list of "Stuff" to be stolen under pretence of peace keeping and diplomacy.

JUST GROW UP...

Warmest

Lags

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2
Yes, the car came with all the maintenance records from the time it was purchased in Vermont in 1981. There is about a six month lapse in the records during the year before the car was sold to the guy from which I purchased it. I did take advantage of a dear friend who does know diesels to take a good look at it before I bought it. He looked through the records with it and under the hood...etc. Told me that if I didn't buy it, he would.
I've never heard of a vehicle that was indestructible... I was taught to care for my vehicles. I even give them names. This newest one is Janis.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe
Ummm, I just want to be able to keep my vehicle running smoothly and consistently. Did I mistakenly post this in the Mud Pit?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join