It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man arrested in machete attack at KY college told Repub student 'you are safe'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Man arrested in machete attack at Ky. college coffee shop, told Republican student 'you are safe'

A man armed with a machete asked about the political affiliations of people at a university coffee shop Friday morning before injuring two females in central Kentucky, a witness said.

The assailant at Transylvania University was armed with a machete and knives and is thought to be a former student. . .Police in a news release later identified the arrested man as 19-year-old Mitchell W. Adkins of Cincinnati. He was charged with first- and fourth-degree assault and three counts of first-degree wanton endangerment.

Police said the two victims suffered non-life-threatening injuries. One was taken to a hospital and the other was treated at the scene.

Luckily, no one was killed or seriously injured.

Is this what it's come to?

"A guy came in, banged something, a hatchet or an ax, on the table and said 'the day of reckoning has come,'" Reynolds said. "He asked somebody what their political affiliation was, they said 'Republican' and the guy said 'you are safe.' And then I realized what was going on and started getting people out."

Campus security officers subdued the assailant quickly, preventing further injury, Barnard said.

Details are very few at this time, including a true motive.

So much for crazy liberals; here we might have a someone on the right side of the isle taking ideas right out of ISIS' playbook. Or could it be some doing this simply to make Republicans looks bad, which I'm sure many will claim. Something feels not quite right, though. A guy walks into a coffee shop with a machete (with what intention?), asks about political affiliation, and cuts but does not serious injure two students before being subdued. It sounds like he didn't intent to seriously injure anyone, thank goodness, but rather to make a statement, except for the quick action of campus security.

However:

Adkins appears to have a history of publicly protesting what he considered the mistreatment of conservatives on college campuses.

‘You are safe,’ Transylvania attacker says to Republican student in coffee shop

In November 2015, the Transy campus newspaper, The Rambler, published a letter from a student named Mitchell Adkins who complained that he was harassed on campus because he was a Republican.

“Being a Republican in this school makes me such a minority that I’ve had to face discrimination on a daily basis,” Adkins wrote in that letter. “Transylvania is a predominantly Democratic school. I’m always happy to listen to other people’s opinions, but as soon as I give my own, I’m called a ‘bigot,’ an ‘a----le,’ some even go as far as ‘fascist Nazi.’”

Man arrested in Transy machete attack wrote that he was bullied for being Republican

Guess someone was...triggered.

ETA:

Here is an "article," or essay, he posted to Buzzfeed on November 7, 2015:

Discrimination Of Conservatives In Liberal Arts

edit on 29-4-2017 by SirHardHarry because: (no reason given)

+25 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Okay, so where are we at then..?

Dems: 74878327648278732 attacks

Repub: 3

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: SirHardHarry

It's almost like it's a human thing, rather than a Left, Right, or religious thing... just crazy. I wish the goofballs around here would finally get that instead of being so easily hateful.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Indeed.

Definitely a human thing, and it seems to get worse (or perhaps we're just hearing more about it). If people weren't so thin-skinned, and if so many people didn't think their side/belief can do absolutely no wrong, and that it's always the other side, maybe things would improve and we'd have better dialogue.

Alas, people are conditioned by what they're constantly fed.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Edit:

Not the mud pit so nvm.
edit on 4/29/2017 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
This is no better than Antifa or anyone else who uses or supports violence to try to force their own ideas on others or punish them for having different views.
Throw his ass in jail.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I wonder if yelled "Allahu Akbar" first.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Welp, I think we should give what he wants, a lobotomy.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

No, I believe it was "Make 'Murica Great Again."

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

I heard he was heard yelling, "Welcome to Costco, I love you."

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Loons on parade..

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I wonder what he would have done if some one
told him their political affiliation was with the bull moose party, the wig party,the anti masonic party or the pirate party?

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Confirmed Trump supporter: www.facebook.com...

Is this an act of terrorism since his attacks were based off of political affiliations?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
They should use his machete on him.

Just sayin' if you think you can do it to others why shouldn't it be returned upon you.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

More like "MAGA".

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

I'm sure anyone who didn't say Republican would have been attacked if he was left up to his own devices.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
They should use his machete on him.

Just sayin' if you think you can do it to others why shouldn't it be returned upon you.

Sounds like he tried to do that to...himself.

The suspect had self-inflicted injuries.

Definitely not too bright, or simply a loon, *if* he tried to hack himself. I mean, WTF? Not sure what those "self-inflicted" injuries were, though.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: SirHardHarry
Details are very few at this time, including a true motive.

So much for crazy liberals

IIRC we know the motive. He said he went there and because he was not a liberal he was incessantly bullied, he decided he had enough and went after those he felt targeted him.

That does not make what he did alright, but from what we know so far it seems he was bullied to his breaking point just like those who commit suicide from bullying.

It was not because someone had a different viewpoint, it was because he was constantly attacked by liberals for not sharing their viewpoint.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Bully victims often times hurt themselves.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I would submit tha the distribution of disturbed people along the political spectrum would look like an inverse bell curve.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join