It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Confession Being a Manager of a Multi-National Corporation Regarding Trump's Election Win

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   
OP's reasoning

wanting decent work life balance and work conditions = poor work ethic

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: SeekingAlpha

Why not fire those four people who don't work and hire some that do? Those two guys are probably fed up and guess who they are blaming? Management!!

I guess everyone in china are great workers with positive attitudes? Thats why their lives and work conditions are so shiny and golden right? Or is it that they are only offered half of what the job is worth because greedy american managers take their jobs over to third world countries and feel like they can pay half the wages?

Perhaps the problem is that anericans feel sold out by multinational businesses who would rather bolster another countries economy and # on americans. Or managers who hire 6 people and allow 4 of them to stand around?

What a crock. The foul practices of multi-national corps is the problem. Not the work force. People have to work. When these corps took labor overseas, jobs disapeared!!

AND, you would rather bring over visa workers than find qualified help in your own nation? WTF are you on? It's people like you making decisions like this that have drug this nation down. Not the work force.

edit on 9-11-2016 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-11-2016 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I'm glad the rest of you called out troll in this thread.

Honestly I'm more of a lurker but this post really peeved me.

Why? Well let's point out the clear fact that the main subject of the OP is outsourcing. . . No matter how you look at it that is exactly what it is. These people work 'harder' because they get better benefits out of it than their home country.
Why don't Americans work that hard? Because more is expected of them for that damn amount when the living costs are drastically different. You can't compare these workers without taking into account of the whole. You're taking pieces of it and calling it a day. But that's not how it works.
Many 'Americans' are overworked just to get by. You give those wages to a worker in a different country you're benefitting them without any context. How can you be in business and a manager and not be aware of these instances?

Regardless of who is president these issues are ongoing and the direct result of companies looking to save a buck.
edit on 9-11-2016 by NixieJean because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

It takes a lot to work and gain skills. There's also more family contribution towards learning in other countries. I remember a couple years ago here a story was posted which showed a Chinese family, their son had just become a doctor and it was mentioned that the parents sat down and did homework with their son every single night until the day he graduated. The comments ridiculed the family for coddling the child, but that's precisely what lets people learn.

In the US we have less involvement and basically tell children to learn it on their own.

Another difference I've found is that other nations tend to train people more narrowly, while the US isn't nearly as broad as I think we should be, we teach much more broad knowledge and accordingly when writing job requirements we require that broad knowledge base when overseas jobs may not have those requirements.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit
America is in bad Shape today Because the Education System has Failed Us . High Skilled Tech Jobs need Workers Trained in the Sciences to Fill them.

I'm in school for a high skilled tech job. It takes a lot of work and there's not much help available. There's a reason that 9 out of 10 people with CS degrees can't find work, even though the demand for the degree has never been higher. Lots of people just don't learn what they need to learn. There's also a problem on the industry side, everyone wants to hire 10's (the rockstars) for work that 3's (the "unskilled") can do and the industry itself has totally failed on bringing people in and training them. It has been fully offloaded to the schools because it's less risk.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I don't really see how you are a troll like the other people are saying after reading your past posts. Sure I think you are wrong, but not a troll. I believe you are a manager at a corporation who doesn't like your American workers.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

I think you are right to question what the role of manual labor will be in the future. Technology is increasing at an exponential rate, and it means less people are needed for the labor market.

This is a real issue that we will have to come to terms with eventually.

However, I have to caution you. As tech replaces these lazy workers you speak of, it will also make your job as a manager obsolete. You may have someone above you discussing how you want to take time of for things like hunting or something, and how you are unnecessary. Then you will be in the same boat as the people you are discussing, replaced by a foreung worker who is cheaper or technology. .

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

He is seriously thinking that America is indispensable.

Germany today could replace USA given that they elect pro Russian chancellor.
Germany making real peace with Russia would be the end of USA hegemony in the West and also probably giving a hard time to China as well, if Russia will align herself with Germany and not China.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Troll thread or not, he's right about one thing, globalism won't stop and it will only get worse for non-skilled workers. The only thing Trump or any other leader can do, is try and fix the education system for the 21st century.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Not trolling and my message is not about a Trump win (which he won fair and square). My comments are more for those that have seen jobs leave the midwest but can't fully grasp the reason why.

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Why not fire those four people who don't work and hire some that do? Those two guys are probably fed up and guess who they are blaming? Management!!

I guess everyone in china are great workers with positive attitudes? Thats why their lives and work conditions are so shiny and golden right? Or is it that they are only offered half of what the job is worth because greedy american managers take their jobs over to third world countries and feel like they can pay half the wages?

Perhaps the problem is that anericans feel sold out by multinational businesses who would rather bolster another countries economy and # on americans. Or managers who hire 6 people and allow 4 of them to stand around?

What a crock. The foul practices of multi-national corps is the problem. Not the work force. People have to work. When these corps took labor overseas, jobs disapeared!!

AND, you would rather bring over visa workers than find qualified help in your own nation? WTF are you on? It's people like you making decisions like this that have drug this nation down. Not the work force.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: kitzik

54 cents a pound??? That is pretty darn cheap!!!

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Your practices are about to be costly if I understand the model correctly.
Schools and Business had better adapt asap or the situation will remain as you say.
I had always wondered WHY children can't do menial work for industry as a form of education ,on HOW this world works.
Not a mandatory thing but a path to understanding life as it really is.
Most children would respond to a simple award system and industry could help shape them simply by the act of participation.
Industry MUST return home.
HOW I really can't say,I guess boards will have to limit their growth to pick up our GNP situation.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
From what I have seen, there are talented people all across the US. The issue is the sense of entitlement as to what they deserve. Anyone that is an employer knows that his/her worst employees are the ones that think they should be paid twice as much with half the amount of work that they claim is already too much for them to handle. On the other side of the coin, our best employees are always asking for more work and they don't complain about their pay/benefits. For these people that work hard, they understand that working is a privilege, not a right.

I've got news for these entitled people. If you are constantly blaming others about your woes, but won't do anything to improve your situation (like learning a new trade or better yet, just having a better attitude at work), and expect that Clinton/Trump/Congress will do something to bring jobs back to you; it is not going to happen under any administration.

The economy has changed over the last 30 years. All companies are always looking for greater profit margins with the least amount of overhead. If there is a computer program that can do the work that 3 people used to do, I'm going to implement it in our work. Also, if I can get people here to do the job well at a very good price; I'm going to do it. It makes sense for my clients who pay for this and also increases the profit margin for my company. Unfortunately for those that I mentioned above, they don't fit in today's work place and is the reason why they have sadly been left behind in our country.

originally posted by: DeadCat
Would you argue that this poor work ethic that seems to be trending in American born workers is a reflection of Americans as a whole? Pure Laziness? Perhaps a since of entitlement? A mentality that "Work should be fun", or "Work is not the top priority, I am." Kind of thing going on?

If not, what do you attribute this pattern to?

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
You give me some new angles to consider in all this. I think one day I'll have my great grand children asking me how did this happen.... how did so many follow such a person? Someone so obviously dangerous and crazy?

It's going to be difficult to explain, and I'll have to have a very clear description of the context to answer...

...but um.... you don't have any positions for an import-export assistant anywhere, do you? One that speaks english and french? Sorry, couldn't help it...
edit on 9-11-2016 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Thank you.

Let me add this too. For those that are reading this, do yourself a favor and go to McDonalds or Chic-fil-A today and watch what is going on behind the counter. Take a look at the person working the cash register and the person prepping the food and think to yourself, "can this be automated by a machine? Or, "can we do this for cheaper?"

Your answer should be yes to both as the work can be done faster and cheaper. A machine will most likely replace that cashier or person flipping the burger within the next 10 years. So for that staff of 10-12 people working at your local McDonalds, they will probably be trimmed down to 4-5 people in the next 10 years to manage these machines. The company does well....but unfortunately the extra 5 or so people will be unemployed because of this. Like I mentioned in one of my above posts, there is nothing that any administration can do to stop this evolution in our economy.

originally posted by: gmacev
Troll thread or not, he's right about one thing, globalism won't stop and it will only get worse for non-skilled workers. The only thing Trump or any other leader can do, is try and fix the education system for the 21st century.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Guy is worried about others in America.
Thread personally attacks him and his practices.

Is there some sort of false negative here, where if he is a bad manager, he isn't actually worried about people?

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Because training people is expensive, especially with skilled work, and doubly so with tech. It's better to not have an employee than to have a bad one. An even bigger disaster is when you train someone, that person realized they have higher value than you're giving them, and they go to a new company. The safer route for business is to offload the expense of training the employee onto the employee, and throw them into university where they can't break anything rather than a businesses production environment.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

It takes a lot to work and gain skills. There's also more family contribution towards learning in other countries. I remember a couple years ago here a story was posted which showed a Chinese family, their son had just become a doctor and it was mentioned that the parents sat down and did homework with their son every single night until the day he graduated. The comments ridiculed the family for coddling the child, but that's precisely what lets people learn.

In the US we have less involvement and basically tell children to learn it on their own.

Another difference I've found is that other nations tend to train people more narrowly, while the US isn't nearly as broad as I think we should be, we teach much more broad knowledge and accordingly when writing job requirements we require that broad knowledge base when overseas jobs may not have those requirements.

That is exactly what I have observed .

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I kinda get this. You drive through flyover country and, to be completely honest, it's filled with low-achieving trash. No more qualified, educated or intelligent than a Chinese person, and wants 10 times the salary but is 10 times lazier. What can you do about that?

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Sr Manager in a worldwide Fortune 200 company and our big worry now is Brexit and various other little issues that have nearly cost us a billion dollars in the last 6 months. People are the easy thing. Not to mention nearly a billion in money owed us thats running more than a little late at this point. But whats a couple of BILLION anyway.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join