It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Try the all new Nonspecific, Now available in sober.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+58 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Well only just sober but this is day four and a record in over 20 years of alcoholism, possibly the longest and most traumatic 4 days of my life in truth.

I won't go into great details about the exact reason I stopped but let's just say the prospect of either being all alone with nothing but a bottle of despair, dead or more than likely the former followed by the latter combined with what we in Englandshire refer to as a "bloody good talking too" by some truly good friends was enough to scare the life out of me and finally make the decision to life life as opposed to enduring it.

I will also not go into great detail about what happens when you go cold turkey after spending more than half your life addicted to alcohol but I would not recommend it without medical supervision, I can tell you that loosing most of your motor functions and hallucinating the inverted head of Baphomet showing you the true nature of the evil in the world in an attempt to make you give in whilst ants crawl on the inside of your skin is not the most pleasant way to spend a few days and sleepless nights but I seem to be through the worst of it for now although I seem to have trouble controlling my anxiety and emotions most likely due to the fact that I have never had to do it before as reaching for a bottle always seemed to work in the past.

I know that there are a few members that have managed to beat the demons and a few that like myself that are still trying and for some reason the thought of a bunch of strangers having my back in this seems to make it a little easier and also a good way of maybe sharing a few things that those folks in the "real world" might not really understand.

Roll on tomorrow.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Best of luck with it mate.

Stay strong during this time and lean on family and friends...
I'm sure that good ol talking to gave the option of a shoulder as you attempt to break this demon.

Love ya. Charlie.
edit on 7-6-2016 by Hazardous1408 because: Grammar.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Congratulations on day 4 and strength for day 5 and beyond!

I've got your back!

Good luck!

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Way to go brother. A worthy yet painful endeaver. Good luck, and i want you to know that it gets easier.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Saying "no" to that drink is actually a much bigger "Yes" to yourself, your health, your everything! I know it sucks and life keeps throwing curve balls but try your best to stick it out, find someone you're comfortable sharing with who will help keep you on track, hold yourself accountable and keep the end in sight.

You can do it man, ATS is with you!!!

*prayer hands emoji*

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Welcome to the wagon, hopefully those of us on it will help encourage you to stay on yourself.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Well done so far and I wish you well.. As an addition I have just started on the 5-2 Fast ( Ish ) Diet ( Eat normal 5 days restrict calories for 2 ), There was a thread on here back a few years back I will link.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Something like this may help as it seems to positive up your disposition at the same time as cutting any over weight you may have that needs some help removing..

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I would say congratulations, but that isn't really the appropriate sentiment for your decision. I will say, however, that I know from personal experience that it is a hard road to start down. But a much better one to travel. I am 100% behind you, and I wish you the greatest of luck and the greatest of strength.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Alcohol is one of the few withdrawals that can kill you.

Toughing it out could kill you. Although it sounds like maybe you are over the proverbial 'hump'.

God speed to you non. Having people around who understand and can at least listen and offer their experiences can help. It comes in various forms these days. It saved me more than a few times in the beginning.

27 years since my last drink.

The DT's I had are still as vivid in my memory as they were when I quit. Wouldn't wish those on anyone.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Thanks everyone I appreciate it more than you would think.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
My friend had a practically lifelong drinking problem and was a small-time belligerent drunk, not an aggressive one.

If this helps you - I always separated the person from the drunk. To me they were two different entities inhabiting the same mind / body / space - whatever.

I endeavoured to get my friend on board with the idea of defeating the drunk so he could get his life back. But the drunk was sneaky and persistent and I could see 'them' colluding against me.

If this makes any sense to you - remember who your real friends are and who really loves you. And it's not the drunk, who may well fight dirty to ensure his survival.

You are first and foremost a Person. Fight for yourself. If emotions are hard to deal with, well tough. They can be hard for all of us.

If you think they're hard to deal with now, just think how much harder they'll be when you're dealing with the loss of those who loved you the most.

I read something recently, I can't for the life of me think where, but it struck a chord because it was true of people I know: the trauma of separation from a parent can, apparently, trigger cravings in adults for sweet things. In men, the craving is most likely to be fulfilled by alcohol.

Anyway - I'm right behind you. With a nice hefty baseball bat if necessary

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Count yourself fortunate you chose to do it while otherwise healthy.

I had a friend whose father was forced to withdraw from both alcohol and nicotine while also attempting to recover from a major heart attack and triple bypass. It was not pretty. He also had similar experiences to yours but many, many more health challenges at the same time. They didn't think he would survive for a long time.

You hang in there and stay strong. Get the support you need to beat it.
edit on 7-6-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Well in buddy!!

Alcohol addiction can really sneak up on ya... I think I'm probably getting there myself, I rarely drink to the point I'm a mess, but I probably do drink every night and the idea of getting home from work and not having a drink makes me anxious.

Keep it up mate and good luck!

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
Alcohol is one of the few withdrawals that can kill you.

Toughing it out could kill you. Although it sounds like maybe you are over the proverbial 'hump'.

God speed to you non. Having people around who understand and can at least listen and offer their experiences can help. It comes in various forms these days. It saved me more than a few times in the beginning.

27 years since my last drink.

The DT's I had are still as vivid in my memory as they were when I quit. Wouldn't wish those on anyone.

The withdrawal was my biggest fear to be honest, I wanted to slow down safely and deal with some of the reasons behind it but everyone seemed to think that cold turkey was the better option but to be fair I do not think they had any idea of the extent of my dependence and had never been addicts themselves.

I was in such a bad place that I thought that it was cold turkey or loose them all and figured it was worth the risk to show them that I was serious. there were a couple of times I was close to calling an ambulance especially when the ants decided to march quick step and my heart wanted to see if it could actually burst out of my chest but as I said I seem to be through the first really nasty part, Right now I am kind of okay although speaking and remembering a lot of quite simple words seems to be quite tricky and my spell checker is on overtime. I feel like Homer Simpson when he asks Marge for one of those things you dig food with.

And I just cried at an episode of storage hunters when they thought they were going to loose money and then found something good...

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Dem0nc1eaner

Not that you asked for advice, but now would be the time to nip it in the bud.

Please.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dem0nc1eaner
Well in buddy!!

Alcohol addiction can really sneak up on ya... I think I'm probably getting there myself, I rarely drink to the point I'm a mess, but I probably do drink every night and the idea of getting home from work and not having a drink makes me anxious.

Keep it up mate and good luck!

As someone who has been there for years I would say be very careful when you start to find the thought of no alcohol in the evening a worry especially if you find yourself justifying it with having a hard day at work.

Nip it in the bud and if you drink every night try missing one night in three and realise how easy it actually is and then keep a good eye on yourself.

Alcohol is very good at making you justify it, become sneaky and lie.

I started walking home from work so I could drink on the way home and it looked like I was drinking less than I was, seems pretty stupid now I think about it but thats addiction for you.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Sounds like your fighting an uphill fight, dont stop swinging even if you fall down a few times bro. You can do it!

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I am so proud of you right now. I have never been in your circumstance, but I have been through this with a few people, and I know what a nightmare it was for both of them. You CAN do this. There is prescription medication to help ease you through this initial period, if you choose to go that route. Keep us posted along the way. I'm going to be checking this thread occasionally, to see how you're doing.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I see you've played knifey-spoony before!
And I wish you good luck on dry land!

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I'm here if you need me.

Go for it man. You can do this. You can achieve this. Bloody go for it!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join