It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Chewbacca Mom" and kids given free scholarships to Southeastern University

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Viral videos of this nature are ridiculous. Why the radio, television and media outlets waste time flying her around the country to do interviews, thinking this “story” is anything but a fart in the wind is mind numbing. There are so many important issues to share and discuss, but “Chewbacca Mom” has gone viral and alongside “Gorilla Boy”, everybody is distracted.

Yet you choose to make a story about it...

I have nothing personal against the woman, but I think she and the video are quite dumb. The mask is funny, but her infatuation with it is childish at best. She seems like an airhead and just because the school has extra money to give out, doesn't mean they should waste it on morons like her. In this case, I'm not happy for this woman and think whoever decided to award her free college tuition is an idiot. There are far more deserving, hard working individuals who could benefit from such an opportunity.

So what you are saying is "because she is dumb, she and her children doesnt deserve to learn"

In my country, we think EVERYONE derserves an education and we give it away for free. Why? you ask, well, you see, we dont wont our kids and the future of our nation, to be dumb...

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Damn it lol.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Damn it lol.

You really should know better by now. Honestly.

No scholarship for you!!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMNOTYOU

Yet you choose to make a story about it...

And yet you choose to make a post based upon my reaction to what I believe is an important issue. What does that make you, cannon fodder? We're on a public forum, what the hell do you think happens here? This is a place to discuss what many believe is wrong with the world.

How about I make this clear to everybody. I don't think she is cool, smart or funny. I don't think she and her kids are deserving. I think there is a bigger picture here that people are displaying ignorance over.

Many humans are sick, starving, homeless and more readily deserving of this opportunity. Many are struggling to make the same thing happen for themselves without resorting to tricks.

All the money spent on carting her around, all the media attention. The money spent on her and her children. The fact that people enjoy and embrace these nonsensical videos of people acting dumb.

Money. Attention. The obvious distraction that ensues.

So many better things to apply our energy towards. This is disheartening to those who put their life on hold and struggle to achieve what this woman and her kids have been given based upon a four minute video of her wearing a mask and laughing at the camera. That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of being awarded.

THERE ARE THOUSANDS WHO ACCOMPLISH REAL GOALS IN LIFE AND WILL NEVER ACHIEVE FREE TUITION.

edit on 2-6-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I've zinged you plenty, you can have this one.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
eisegesis

Man, you're acting like she did something wrong. Hell, I don't even believe the school did anything wrong. But I gotta applaud you man, you are giving us a damn good rant. ✌

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I agree OP. This is just silly now.

Sure, it was a hoot and a half. But is the world so depressed and messed up that we must gush over some lady laughing in her car?

As for begrudging good fortune? That's utter horse#. I begrudge the absurdity and the group think.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Let's see, in tax that probably cost me $.00000007.

That has got to be the best money the government ever spent of mine. Man, she was funny. I'm glad.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack
Have you missed your meds tonight?

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

All the money spent on carting her around, all the media attention. The money spent on her and her children. The fact that people enjoy and embrace these nonsensical videos of people acting dumb...

THERE ARE THOUSANDS WHOfloweringSH REAL GOALS IN LIFE AND WILL NEVER ACHIEVE FREE TUITION.

Agree with this too. Talk shows and morning shows are kind of diabolical. Nothing but soft marketing. In a time when a growing number of people are becoming disenchanted with FB and other forms of social media, we have this woman who posts something totally random and the world throws flowers at her feet. The subconscious message? Keep posting, one day it might be you.

You'd think conspiracy theorists would be more discerning and skeptical.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Arnoe Scwazzenegger

who?

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
As for begrudging good fortune? That's utter horse#. I begrudge the absurdity and the group think.

Not sure where I displayed group think but I agree the whole mask thing was absurd, I never got the humor. But the thing is, this is not my money, this is not my Chewbacca mask and I am not her. Something nice happened to her and her family and for people to find that upsetting is odd to me.

I often her people commenting how everything in the news is mostly negative. While I would not classify this as what I find newsworthy it is a positive story and if her children apply themselves they may be able to use that education to help others. Instead of seeing a chain of stupid I see the potential for a pay it forward type scenario. But then again, I like to think I am an optimist and tend to focus on the positive.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown

That has got to be the best money the government ever spent of mine. Man, she was funny. I'm glad.

It did not cost you a penny, it was a private university.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown

Yeppers. My antacid. All this sugar-coated BS has given me an upset tummy.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I don't disagree.

I don't begrudge her the good fortune, I simply question the hype and the motivation for people giving her so much attention and perks. Nothing is free in 2016.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

if her children apply themselves they may be able to use that education to help others. Instead of seeing a chain of stupid I see the potential for a pay it forward type scenario.

Right! Exactly!!

But then again, I like to think I am an optimist and tend to focus on the positive.

And that ^^ (amore mio) is why we are able to communicate. As awkward as it may be - we've managed to build this bridge....
I'll make sure I keep my end in usable shape if you'll agree likewise....

if you don't care about sustaining it...why should I??

edit on 6/2/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
I don't disagree.

I don't begrudge her the good fortune, I simply question the hype and the motivation for people giving her so much attention and perks. Nothing is free in 2016.

I am sure the quid pro quo was hauling her around campus with that dopey mask to show how wonderfully charitable they are at Southeastern. Do I think she is 'worthy'? More than some and less that most but it happened and me getting upset about it and being envious is pointless.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

The best thing about building bridges is that you can set up a toll booth in front of them.

The entrepreneur in me is always about making the fat stacks.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown

Southwestern pays their scholarships out of donations and contributions from private donors.

I don't think contributing "$.00000007" gets you on that list, sorry.

Pithy comment though!

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

You are defending this?

Ha! They're going to one of those most horrible of all places with this money - a Christian school. I'd think you'd be aghast.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join