It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Chewbacca Mom" and kids given free scholarships to Southeastern University

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

It was a totally random thing!

She made a video of herself laughing in a silly mask, and while it was an enjoyable bit of silliness, was it two full rides in college for her children-level silliness?

Here are two of the top virals from 2013, Did anyone offer any of these young ladies or gentlemen either free rides or to pay off their college debt for making us laugh so hard?

I think the twerker at least shows some real academic promise.
edit on 2-6-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I think the donors to this college are gonna plummet. Lived in Floriduh-so it probably is being celebrated there and everyone will starting doing it if that's the only qualification for entering college-tuition free.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I saw the video.

It's not about 'deserving'. It wasn't a contest. Everybody needs a drink of water, so they will let these thirsty ones drink.

Something about her touched one of them, and they wanted to reach out and do something nice for her and her kids. Maybe others would do the same, unless of course, people raise so much hell about it they won't for fear of offending "the s-flakes", and doing something that might not be "P.C.".

Perhaps kindnesses are now out of bounds? I don't think I'll be joining that club.

So let people raise hell about it. A simple gesture.

I'm happy for the family, and deeply admire the University for their thoughtfulness. Wish others would follow suit.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   

This has nothing to do with PC. Stop trying to make it into that.

What exactly made her video any different from the two I posted or any of the other virals like them? Will the University be offering full rides to other viral video makers in the future or was it just hers?

Was the money offered from a fully private source, or was it university money?

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I liked the flamingo best, lol.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

This has nothing to do with PC. Stop trying to make it into that.

What exactly made her video any different from the two I posted or any of the other virals like them? Will the University be offering full rides to other viral video makers in the future or was it just hers?

Then why make such a big deal out of it? Like I said, something about her touched someone. They wanted to do something nice for her. Have you never met anyone you liked for some reason, and wanted to do something for them?

I don't know about the source of the money,. I'll go look....

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It is a private Christian school so I guess they were doing the Christian thing and helping their fellow man.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis Oh cool, I'm gonna get a silly mask now!
Children have nothing to worry about or work hard for as long as their parents are silly on YouTube! Life is getting easier and easier for all!

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   

To be clear, my issue is not with her. She did nothing wrong. My issue is with the school. It seems to reflect poorly on their standards and sets a bad precedent IMO. There is no way they can afford to similarly gift every viral video maker. Usually this type of thing is attached to some kind of standard that either takes real achievement or serious tragedy to attain so that not everyone can reach it and it doesn't just seem to very random.

As it is, I am now wondering if I should start obsessively videoing my cats in the hopes i catch one doing something insane ... then I might be able to at least line up a scholarship for my kid ...

link   
One of the administrators said this:

“Candace has inspired us and others with her joy, and we want her and her family to experience some of that same joy through this gift,” Ingle said in a statement

What is the money anyway, when you think about it. The teachers are there, the buildings are there. Ya know?
It won't cost them a penny if they buy their own books and 'stuff'.

link   
She did not expect her video to go viral - it just happened. She didn't ask for her "15 minutes", but she got it... What she has done with this unexpected attention is share her faith. She's using the platform to share the gospel. She's trying to turn the spotlight away from herself and onto Jesus. I think this is awesome - she knows her fame is fleeting and "undeserved" but she taking it as an opportunity to witness.

This college is a private Christian college. Of course she is the kind of person they would love to have be a part of their university. It's advertising for them to boot. Win-win!

I get the feeling of "unfairness" at an unearned reward. But for most people who strive to glorify God in all they do (even unexpected viral fame thanks to a Star Wars mask) rarely receive earthly rewards of this magnitude. I'm really happy for her and her family.
edit on 2-6-2016 by VegHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Smh....

'I have nothing against her, but i hate the fact that she has those things happen to her.'

- a bitter person on the internet.

Its ok to go viral, like the twerks and the two guys, as long as you don't get press and freebies according to the online mob. The other viral videos didnt warrant a rant tread because they didn't get freebies or as much attention??

Jeez.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Really, really
Sad you, it's tough isn't it, just being a plebiscite, being upstaged by this lady
I don't know if you noticed Arnoe Scwazzenegger became a governor because he pumped iron, Reagan a president because he acted on tv, entertainers winning, sorry earning knighthoods for nothing but being silly
Bet I f you had a YouTube clip go viral and was offered something for nothing
Remember Obama winning a peace award for what ever

On the great list of stupid things to happen, this really, this?

Well done to her

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

Don't say the "M" word! Now they'll flood in here, claiming that they remember Chewbacca mom getting a scholarship to Harvard.

Glad I'm not the only one who had that reaction to the comment you replied to.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   

My issue is with the school. It seems to reflect poorly on their standards and sets a bad precedent IMO.

No, no and no. It reflects excellently on them as a Christian institution, and sets an awesome precedent!

There is no way they can afford to similarly gift every viral video maker. Usually this type of thing is attached to some kind of standard that either takes real achievement or serious tragedy to attain so that not everyone can reach it and it doesn't just seem to very random.

Ya know Ket, I'd like to buy the world a Coke. But I just can't pull it off. So I bought one for an old lady in a nursing home the other day. She said she was "starving" for a coke.

As it is, I am now wondering if I should start obsessively videoing my cats in the hopes i catch one doing something insane ... then I might be able to at least line up a scholarship for my kid ...

Your kid will probably have a scholarship anyway, but go for it. I'll subscribe.
edit on 6/2/2016 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Come on folks, why not just be happy for this lady's good fortune. Funny how some people here cry about "special snowflakes" and then we have threads like this. Basically just whining because they didn't get a scholarship because their YouTube video didn't go viral. And basically, that's all it amounts to, really.

This woman's children may have just been given the opportunity of a lifetime and all some folks can do is pout.

I'm happy for her I bet she's thinking making that silly little video in the Walmart parking lot was the best decision she ever made. Then again, maybe she won't even take advantage of the scholarships at all.
edit on Cpm6Thursday2920165130Thu, 02 Jun 2016 18:29:51 -05002016 by CagliostroTheGreat because: Eris deliver me from typos

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

No, no and no. It reflects excellently on them as a Christian institution, and sets an awesome precedent!

I love their motto juxtaposed against everyone's panty tightness who has a case of the haters:

Transforming Minds. Engaging Culture.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: VegHead

I think you hit the nail on the head.
The video shows her on a tour of the private school, and they decided to gift her with the scholarships. Private schools often have scholarships for different reasons; they are free to decide who to gift.

ETA This was in a statement by the school's president on their website. “Candace has inspired us and others with her joy, and we want her and her family to experience some of that same joy through this gift,”
edit on 2-6-2016 by desert because: ETA

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Kali74

Next time you do a good deed I have a very special reward for you.

Veeeeeery special.

I don't tell my good deeds

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
I don't tell my good deeds

Perrrrrrrfect. Tell me the naughty ones.

Don't leave out any details.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join