It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Respond To Reports Of Shooting At UCLA Engineering Building

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Since this guy seems to have a Middle Eastern name, that will give the press, and a certain presidential candidate, even more to blather about.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
a reply to: Tempter

Yeah I just came across some post. Dated march 10, attributed to him, where he accused the victim (klug) of stealing his code that he was working on and gave it to another student.

Can you link that?

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Since this guy seems to have a Middle Eastern name, that will give the press, and a certain presidential candidate, even more to blather about.

If this is about religion, which I doubt at this point, then it would be applicable for Trump to talk about it. But at this stage it seems very personal.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter

Yeah I just came across some post. Dated march 10, attributed to him, where he accused the victim (klug) of stealing his code that he was working on and gave it to another student.

Can you link that?

coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Can you link that?

Running across this from a few sources. Not sure its legit but looks real.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Can you link that?

Running across this from a few sources. Not sure its legit but looks real.

Dayum. That sounds like motive to me, if true.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

www.dailymail.co.uk... graduate-committed-suicide.html

sakar (from India had a long running feud with the professor...but..

However, a source told the LA Times that Sarkar's claims were 'psychotic', adding that his characterization of Klug as a thief is 'absolutely untrue'.
Klug was dedicated to helping Sarkar pass the course, the source added, saying he bent over backwards to help even though the quality of Sarkar's work was often below par.
On the UCLA website Sarkar is listed as part of the Klug Research Group, a team of six postdoctoral and PhD students researching biomechanics.
The website shows Sarkar has been studying for his PhD since 2006 with no graduating date, two years longer than any of the other researchers.

sounds like he wasn't thinking right for sure

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
The way his post is written where he accuses klug of stealing his work does sound like he was psychotic.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Alleged shooter Mainak Sarkar, 38

www.dailymail.co.uk... let-graduate-committed-suicide.html
The gunman was described by the student who took this picture as a young white male wearing black with a hoody covering most of his face and carrying (what looked like) a machine gun.

....before finding the bodies of both men alongside a 9mm semi-automatic pistol.

So how did a young white male carrying a machine pistol/semi-automatic rifle morph into a dark-skinned middle aged man with a pistol?
edit on 2-6-2016 by starviego because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: starviego

By getting answers to a few key questions:

1. Has it been confirmed the picture was taken on that campus?
  2. What day/time was the picture taken?
  3. What did the photographer do after taking the picture?
  4. Has the picture been analyzed and confirmed to not have been manipulated?
  5. Has the photographer been interviewed and investigated, since you cannot see the face of the subject in the photo?

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Breaking News!!!

www.cnn.com...

He had a kill list and a woman on that list was found dead in Minnesota. It's believed she was killed prior to the UCLA shooting.

This is getting juicy.

Update, it could have been his girlfriend.
edit on 2-6-2016 by Tempter because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-6-2016 by Tempter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

ktla.com...
Sarkar, who graduated from UCLA in 2013, drove from Minnesota to the Los Angeles area with two handguns, multiple round of ammunition and several magazines in a backpack, according to the LAPD chief.

That's an odd statement. How would the police know what he had in his car?

ktla.com...
The chief also released new details about the note Sarkar left behind, which told authorities to go check on his cat at his Minnesota residence. After obtaining a warrant and searching the suspect's home, police found the alleged kill list.

The shooter lived in Minnesota? I thought he was studying at UCLA in California.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: research100
a reply to: BASSPLYR

www.dailymail.co.uk... graduate-committed-suicide.html

sakar (from India had a long running feud with the professor...but..

However, a source told the LA Times that Sarkar's claims were 'psychotic', adding that his characterization of Klug as a thief is 'absolutely untrue'.
Klug was dedicated to helping Sarkar pass the course, the source added, saying he bent over backwards to help even though the quality of Sarkar's work was often below par.
On the UCLA website Sarkar is listed as part of the Klug Research Group, a team of six postdoctoral and PhD students researching biomechanics.
The website shows Sarkar has been studying for his PhD since 2006 with no graduating date, two years longer than any of the other researchers.

sounds like he wasn't thinking right for sure

Self entitled narcissistic people that cannot deal with the facts are becoming the norm these days.
This is why we have the term "SJW" now.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6
WOW! You think that entire force was already on duty somewhere? What would they have been doing if they weren't responding to the false reports? I'm truly amazed if that is how things work out there.
Perhaps my budgeting comment drew too much from local and state information. It's budget writing time in our region so we've been undulated with stories of the proposed expansions of police budgets in our region. Perhaps California is on a different budgeting schedule. But I'm still having a bit of trouble believing that the entire force we saw called out was just patrol personnel who ran and got dressed up as tactic teams. But then, I'm going by what I was told it cost our local city government in overtime costs the last time our small university campus was "locked down" due to a report of a man on campus with a rifle. (He was the manager of the rifle team, carrying a recently repaired rifle in a case from his car to the range. The one before that was a guy with a pool cue in a case going to shoot some pool at the student center.)
Did it really take two hours to find the office with the dead guys, gun and note? Just seems weird to me but I guess they do things differently in LA.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Where does it say they found two handguns and several magazines in a backpack in his car?

All it says is that he drove from Minnesota to LA with them. As in he had them.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

LAPD has about 10,000 sworn officers. That's one agency. Not accounting for LASD, UCLA campus police, state level responders, and federal. Which we know ATF and FBI responded, at least.

So yea, I think that the majority (which is what I said, as opposed to "all," which is what you said I said) were on duty. Throwing on a vest a helmet doesn't make an officer a tactical officer. It makes him or her an officer with a vest and helmet.

I have no idea how long it took them to find the note, and I've already given my perspective on why they didn't just immediately shut everything down when they found said note.

As for budgets, a proposed budget is a proposed budget. It's not an approved budget. You can ask for anything you want in a budget. Doesn't mean you'll get it.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6
Thanks for your perspective.
I'm amazed.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   

www.latimes.com...
The LAPD worked with the FBI and Minnesota authorities and served a search warrant at Sarkar’s home. Inside, Beck said, they found extra ammunition and a box for one of the two pistols found at UCLA. There also was a “kill list,” the chief said.

There is always evidence in the home or car that further implicates the suspect.

Motive is now even more of a mystery:

www.thedailybeast.com...
What made the murders most surprising for Garfinkel was that Sarkar was “three years out of UCLA, with a Ph.D. and a professional job.” Sarkar was a good student and the committee approved his dissertation, Garfinkel said, dismissing earlier reports that the killer was disgruntled over bad grades.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Barely a week old, this story is now ancient history. But real questions remain. For example:

The cops initially said that two guns were found at the murder scene:

www.kabc.com...
Beck said Thursday that Sarkar was heavily armed, carrying two
semiautomatic pistols — one used in the murder-suicide and another in his backpack.

thedailycroton.com...
On June 1, Sarkar carried a backpack, two semi-automatic pistols, extra magazines, and went to Klug's office where he killed the professor and himself.

But when they found his car a couple of days later, they claimed to have found the other gun in the vehicle's trunK:

thedailycroton.com...
The Los Angeles Police Department's Deputy Chief Matt Blake said investigators have found a hand gun and several red gasoline cans in the car's trunk.

ktla.com...
Several containers of gasoline and a handgun were found in the trunk of a car linked to UCLA shooter Mainak Sarkar that was located Friday afternoon in Culver City...

So was the suspect supposed to have had three guns?

-----------------------------

ALSO:

ktla.com...
Police went to the shooter's home after a note left at the crime scene urged authorities to check on his cat. There, police found several rounds of ammunition, a ballistics vest and prescription medication, Hayes said.

Ballistics vest? He MUST be guilty!

Prescription medication?

An obvious reference to SSRIs/AntiDepressants, in case you don't buy the "nutso" theory of motive.

----------------------------

Many people questioned the huge police response:

www.kabc.com...
The Klug-Sarkar murder suicide triggered fears that at least one gunman
was on a rampage and prompted a massive law enforcement response.

However, the statements of witnesses leave no reason the police would suspect the involvement of ANYONE else. The police knew very quickly what they were dealing with:

www.hindustantimes.com...
After hearing odd sounds from Klug’s office, both Lynch and Mal rushed towards the professor’s room. ... Assuming that a shooter was inside the Klug’s office, he held the door shut from outside.
After that Lynch heard a third shot inside followed by eerie silence, Lynch assumed the shooter had killed himself.
Within minutes, the professors said, police converged and cleared out the floor.

edit on 7-6-2016 by starviego because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Thanks for the update. You are entirely correct about the questions that remain to be answered. One of mine is the usual: Is this lack of info due to reporters not asking questions or due to police not answering?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join