It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New research reveals what Americans really think about the Bible.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Data from ‘The Bible in America’ was compiled from a series of telephone and online interviews with U.S. adults from 2011 to 2016 with a total of 12,187 interviews nationwide.

It revealed that an average of 62% of Americans have a desire to read the Bible more.

It also showed that a two-thirds majority of adults believe the Bible contains everything a person needs to know in order to live a meaningful life.

Two-thirds of adults hold an orthodox view of the Bible, believing it is the actual or inspired Word of God.

Forty-four percent of Americans read the Bible at least once a month.

On average, eight out of 10 Americans consider the Bible to be sacred literature or a holy book.

Most Americans, 64 percent, believe the Bible has more influence on humanity than any other text according to the 2016 State of the Bible data.
However, the number of Bible skeptics has increased to 22 percent in 2016, surpassing the number of Bible engaged people now at 17 percent.
The research found the reasons included a decline in the number of Americans who believe the Bible is sacred literature from 86% in 2011 to 80% in 2016. Plus there’s a drop in the number of people who say the Bible is sufficient as a guide for meaningful living from 77% in 2011 to 67% in 2016.

LINK

Its good to see that in the U.S. the majority believes in God and this is a good thing. Here at ATS you would think it was the other way around, which it isn't. I understand that there are Christians at this site that wish to not be confrontational or to debate actually here on ATS the better term is to argue with non believers and pagans due to their hate and bitterness.

It is obvious by the spiteful and mean comments by some ATS users the word of God has brought out their true nature and that is fine and I personally have no problem with that. Those new to the faith should learn how to detect this type of violent attitudes as I have proved this evening with a few threads ......

Hate is alive and well on ATS,

God bless you.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

But you forgot to post:

The research found the reasons included a decline in the number of Americans who believe the Bible is sacred literature from 86% in 2011 to 80% in 2016. Plus there’s a drop in the number of people who say the Bible is sufficient as a guide for meaningful living from 77% in 2011 to 67% in 2016.In 2015, CBN’s Paul Strand reported how faith is losing its foothold in America.Millennials in particular are driving these declines as the age group with the most respondents saying there were no books they considered sacred. Sixty-two percent said they have never read the Bible.

So, belief is in decline.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
So, this "data" was compiled by the American Bible Society (bible pushers) and The Barna Group, an evangelical polling group... I'm not sure I'd trust their "data" or their interpretation of that data. It would be nice if your source pointed to the actual polling questions... but they don't.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Declining however minor..... percentages are still way above 50% .... over half of the population...... I'll take those numbers!!

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Is there an unbiased source that's neither Christian or atheist/anti religion that we can match these numbers with?

In Canada we have the census.

But according to the source, Millenials are unbelievers to the tune of 62%, so out won't be long before christianity is outnumbered by non religion.

Eta: Excuse me, 62% haven't read the Bible. Do you think that makes them more or less Christian?

edit on 28-5-2016 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
DeathSlayer

Kinda spits in the proverbial face of the American Christian Persecution Complex though, huh?

Either way, I'm happy with the faith I got. It smells like blueberry.

Oh, also I should add, I'm a bloodthirsty pagan that is somehow neither hateful nor bitter. Imagine that?

I'm actually quite happy that you have found a belief system that works for you. Can you say the same regarding me? Or are my pagan beliefs earning me a one way ticket on the fast track to Hell?

Whatevah, live fast, die young, eh?

Hail Eris (or don't)
edit on Cpm4Saturday4520160831Sat, 28 May 2016 16:45:08 -05002016 by CagliostroTheGreat because: Hail Eris!

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Most Americans, 64 percent, believe the Bible has more influence on humanity than any other text according to the 2016 State of the Bible data.

They may want to rethink this, humanity isn't really that great. Look at the state of the world. I'm not saying they're wrong, I just think they're looking at its influence in the wrong light.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Eta: Excuse me, 62% haven't read the Bible. Do you think that makes them more or less Christian?

It makes it harder to maintain someone's faith.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Personally, I think this will lead to a speed in decline.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

But you forgot to post:

The research found the reasons included a decline in the number of Americans who believe the Bible is sacred literature from 86% in 2011 to 80% in 2016. Plus there’s a drop in the number of people who say the Bible is sufficient as a guide for meaningful living from 77% in 2011 to 67% in 2016.In 2015, CBN’s Paul Strand reported how faith is losing its foothold in America.Millennials in particular are driving these declines as the age group with the most respondents saying there were no books they considered sacred. Sixty-two percent said they have never read the Bible.

I can not post the entire research ( 3 to 4 paragraphs) due to ATS T&C........ reason for link.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

Declining however minor..... percentages are still way above 50% .... over half of the population...... I'll take those numbers!!

I'm saddened by them. The real question is, are those numbers accurate at all? If Monsanto came out with a study and said, "Our study shows that all GMO foods are safe." would you believe that study? How about of the Democrats came out with a study that said, "We have studied this issue and there's no such thing as voter fraud. All elections involving Democrats are fair and unbiased!" Would you believe that study?

Here we have a "study" that purports to show a very high percentage of believers done by, guess who? The American Bible Society and The Barna Group. What is the Barna Group? According to their web site the "Barna Group is a visionary research and resource company located in Ventura, California. Started in 1984, the firm is widely considered to be a leading research organization focused on the intersection of faith and culture." Source Both are self-described as evangelical groups.

They may have done thousands of interviews, but they don't show their work. We don't know if what they claim is statistically valid or not. Do they have a valid sampling of Americans, or did they interview people as they left a sermon on the church steps? It seems to me that they have vastly over-stated the case. I'm not going to buy their book to find out, but at this juncture it seems to me the likelihood that it is unbiased is slim. It's not like this study was done by Rasmussen or Gallup.

And pointing this out is not "hateful."

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

But you forgot to post:

That would give me one major reason why this country is in decline.
"You know what's wrong with the world today
People done gone and put their good books away (paraphrased to encompass all religions)
They're living by the law of the jungle not the laws of the land"
CDB
And , btw , I subscribe to no one religion

edit on 5/28/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Or it could just be that the country is full of lazy ignorant people who just want to be told what to do by their facebook news feeds.

But less people beholden to some contradictory medieval collection of fables can only be a good thing.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I am one of those believers who no longer takes part in Bible or followers of Jesus discussions on ATS.
I use follower of Jesus instead of Christian, because in this day and age Christian has been warped in meaning far to many things.

I find it pointless and a waste of time to discuss on ATS because there are no fence sitters and no one listens. Everyone has their minds made up and continuously argue their same points.

Thus, IMHO, it is a total waste of time.

The Bible actually predicts there would be no undecided people in the latter days.

Everyone has chosen their sides. Especially on ATS.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

How you wrote your post was not at all hateful.

Have you read other people's post, their hate and despise is obvious.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

medieval collection of fables

Strange , most major religions (Christianity , Hebrew , Islam , Hindu , Buddhism ,et al) all predate the Medieval Period by a few thousand years. A millennium at least
And the first "known" religion may go back as far as Cro-Magnon man

edit on 5/28/16 by Gothmog because: edit to add

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I suppose you don't always need to use the mischievous emoticon. You aren't really ruffling my feathers, personally.

I think some of humanity is always thinking society is in decline, it doesn't mean it is. What time in history was ideal?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

But you forgot to post:

That would give me one major reason why this country is in decline.
"You know what's wrong with the world today
People done gone and put their good books away (paraphrased to encompass all religions)
They're living by the law of the jungle not the laws of the land"
CDB
And , btw , I subscribe to no one religion

"Do what thou wilt". It is sure working out great for society is it not?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

My brother/sister I understand your position and I wish I could do what you do but I can't. Why not? This is the one theme I am not allowed to discuss. I apologize if I act all secretive but I can't.

Keep your faith and I ask you pray for me.

God bless you and your family.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I suppose you don't always need to use the mischievous emoticon. You aren't really ruffling my feathers, personally.

I think some of humanity is always thinking society is in decline, it doesn't mean it is. What time in history was ideal?

So , you noticed my ending . Not there to "ruffle anyone's feathers" . Perhaps you dont know who Gothmog was ? Look it up. Thats the reason I use
And thank you , I end some of my posts with "Peace" or others . And I do feel the need to use it and will continue until a mod steps in and requests me not to.

Society IS in decline . And you dont have to look far to see it.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see" - attributed to John Heywood

edit on 5/28/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join