It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New research reveals what Americans really think about the Bible.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Hey man, your circus, your monkey in regard to your signature.

By what metric is society in decline?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct
So , all you can do is attack my style ?
Here we go , hope you know what this means
Game over and you are all outta tokens
Peace to you

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

So, you can't answer the question.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Yes,

But the bible as it is now is not even one thousand years old and has been edited and revised more times than anyone knows. i.e a contradictory collection of fables.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Hey man, your circus, your monkey in regard to your signature.

By what metric is society in decline?

If you read someone like Steven Pinker, who's a dyed in the wool rationalist and materialist, we're not in decline at all. Indeed, in his book, "The Better Angels of our Nature" he puts forth the case that we have less violence, more education, better medical care, and an overall better life than we have ever had before. He's not just talking western civilization, but the entire world and its prospects for future growth. This is one of the most optimistic books out there.

I suspect the 'people of faith' are seeing a decline in people adhering to their own fantasies, and that is understandably upsetting to them. But that's overall a good thing. If science can help belay these crazy beliefs such as Jesus died for your sins, or worse, 72 virgins will be waiting for you in Heaven if only you will blow yourself and this busload of school children to smithereens, then I see that as a good thing. It might be bad for believers of Allah, but that's not high on my list of traits to preserve.
edit on 5/28/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I agree. Thanks for the example.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

I find it pointless and a waste of time to discuss on ATS because there are no fence sitters and no one listens.

Of course there are fence-sitters! We're called "agnostics."

Everyone has their minds made up and continuously argue their same points.

The only point of ours (the agnostics) is that there is no evidence to back up anything about "Christianity" being true. We'd like some evidence. We'd like some leadership by example....we don't get either of those.

See? The pious followers fail day after day to convince us - can't you see we are all ears? We're listening.
Convince us!!!

The Bible actually predicts there would be no undecided people in the latter days.

Everyone has chosen their sides. Especially on ATS.
Erm....well, then The Bible is yet again no use in today's world. Because there are undecided people (and proud of it!) all over the place.

I am one of those believers who no longer takes part in Bible or followers of Jesus discussions on ATS.

LOL!!
Yeah? So...but - here you are. Right?

The OP ditched his earlier thread - didn't find a compliant audience to laud his effort.

I use follower of Jesus instead of Christian, because in this day and age Christian has been warped in meaning far to many things.
Yeah. That changes everything....how? (It doesn't, not at all.) Because see, most atheists and agnostics realize that the actual message of Jesus (the Golden Rule) is perfectly valid. It's just that "Christians" don't pay it any attention anymore.

Still I want to know, what the hell is a "demonologist"?

edit on 5/28/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Are you an atheist? Then you're probably a PSYCHOPATH!

This is one of your posts from March. And you wonder why some people here are antagonistic in return. You say things like

argue with non believers and pagans due to their hate and bitterness.

It is obvious by the spiteful and mean comments by some ATS users the word of God has brought out their true nature and that is fine and I personally have no problem with that. Those new to the faith should learn how to detect this type of violent attitudes as I have proved this evening with a few threads ......

Seems to me, DeathSlayer, much of the antagonism towards you might be coming from your insulting behaviour it'self.
Seems to me that many people come to ATS to learn about the expanse of possible stuff that cannot be found in the 'regular' places. As you point out, those regular places still boast the majority of believers in the US. That being Bible believers.

So why might Christians come to ATS DeathSlayer? To learn about all the things that they cannot find elsewhere? I think not. They would go to all the Bible studies and the faith seminars and the churches or any of the zillion Christian websites or listen in on all the Christian radio programs or watch all the Christian TV programs and channels.

But no, you and others come here. And call us who do not believe in your faith as PSYCHOPATHS.
So from my position the only reason I can see for your being here, for your coming on this site is not to learn but rather to proselytize. To seek converts. To save souls. Knowing that this site, ATS, is comprised of many many atheists but more so many people who do not want to be told what to believe, by you or by anyone else.

Yet still you come and still you preach, and to what avail? Other than pissing off a bunch of atheists and pagans by calling them names.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Think all those figures are irrelevant, think the amount of people who believe and don't believe in the bibles authority means nothing

A form of godliness but denying it's power, 2 Timothy 3 5

Christianity is not a popularity contest, if it was we should always come dead last, Christ was clear, the world will hate us.
Telling people they are sinners is not going to win anyone friends
Christians are sinners as well, we as Christians are hypocrites if we judge others

Believing in the bibles authority but ignoring God is a condemnation on the US it shouldn't be celebrated.

Believing the bibles authority is invalid, living the life of a God fearing christian is the true indication

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

You are always in my prayers brother (I think your a brother at least, as am I,
)

No need for any explanations, I have faith when we do meet on that glorious day there will be no need for explanations.

My prayer for myself daily is for the Lord to increase my faith. If the Apostles prayed for it I sure had better.

And with the other side throwing everything to make people question faith I know I need HIS help.

God Bless you and yours also my friend. I commend you for fighting the good fight even here!

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Very well said.

I really try and judge no one but myself.

As a follower of Jesus I try simply to live up to loving HIM with all my heart all the time and loving others as I love myself.

I fail on an hourly basis but by HIS grace I am better than I used to be. I spend a lot of time asking for forgiveness.

I try and seek my salvation with fear and trembling daily.

Again, more often than not I fail. I never fail to thank HIM for HIS Love and Grace.

The world makes me sad in the fact that they glorify in rejecting HIM.

I can't imagine navigating this mess without faith in HIM.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Yeah I worship Blueberry Kush sometimes too.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   

God forbids you eating PIGS. You PIG loving, disobedient, hypocritical ........ bunch of false living Christians!
edit on 28-5-2016 by mekhanics because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

Declining however minor..... percentages are still way above 50% .... over half of the population...... I'll take those numbers!!

Their were studies done on how languages die. There is a slow creeping decline over centuries usually, until 50% of the population does not speak that language. Then there is a massive drop in those who speak the original Tong usually becoming extinct within a single generation or 2.

The same can be applied to religion.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: mekhanics

God forbids you eating PIGS. You PIG loving, disobedient, hypocritical ........ bunch of false living Christians!

I am a Christian, kinda like bacon, pork
Can you show me where I can't eat pigs according to my God please

Thanks

Yes, obviously it's a loaded question to show people you are not as clever as you think you are

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
These stats are a joke and a desperate attempt at creating an illusion that the majority of Americans believe in the Bible as history.

Everyone knows poles can be manipulated with strategic planning and deceit. And that Christian corporations (big churches) generate billions of dollars a year (combined).

That alone is reason enough to disregard anything they say. It isn't just the mega churches either, Crooks are naturally attracted to the position of Pastor because it comes with flunkies, free money, respect, and is a great cover for your typical con man who knows how much people automatically trust religious men and that money can easily be stolen when donated in cash anonymously.

That said, this does not reflect on the honest congregants and those honest Pastors who don't get paid a cent and do it not for money but to uplift the downtrodden and feed the hungry. They are the salt of the earth.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

Declining however minor..... percentages are still way above 50% .... over half of the population...... I'll take those numbers!!

If I may chime in.
I would say in the major metropolitan centers on the West Coast (I'd assume the same for the East Coast too), that if the right questions were asked, the numbers would be polar opposite.

I know it's good to be optimistic, positive, thinking of good things....But I don't think many people in these areas consider very much of the Historicity or the Supernatural of the Bible at all true. I don't think the central theme of the Bible from a traditional Christian view is held to whatsoever. It has become at best a good moral book, and part of a universalist view point of a faith in a god or gods or higher power. None of these views in my small opinion, are worth any good if the Gospel is indeed true. If the Gospel is not fully true, then I'm just an idiot.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Less than 0.5% conform their views of reality and God to what the bible says about it rather than the other way around (and follow what the bible says rather than their religious leaders and teachers or their own personal views).

Human traditions and doctrines (theology) winning that fight (and blind trust in dishonest scholars, theologians and teachers; or generally people with the same wrong views trying to interpret the bible so that it fits with those).

Mark 7:6-9,13-15:
He [Jesus] said to them: “Isaiah aptly prophesied about you hypocrites, as it is written, ‘This people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. 7 It is in vain that they keep worshipping me, for they teach commands of men as doctrines.’ 8 You let go of the commandment of God and cling to the tradition of men.”

9 Further, he said to them: “You skillfully disregard the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition.
13 Thus you make the word of God invalid by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like this.” 14 So calling the crowd to him again, he said to them: “Listen to me, all of you, and understand the meaning. 15 Nothing from outside a man that enters into him can defile him; but the things that come out of a man are the things that defile him.” [see also James 3:6]

edit on 29-5-2016 by whereislogic because: addition

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
A form of godliness but denying it's power, 2 Timothy 3 5

Thanks, you're the first person who at least semi-quotes something from the bible in a thread about the bible, I was getting a little worried there that no one would quote something, as if it's forbidden, even in a thread that actually has "bible" in the title, if there ever was a good excuse to let loose...

Of course the full topic in the title is as such that perhaps it's not so conducive to quoting from the bible actually, I dunno, I found a way. You found a way. Where there's a will there's a way they say (not that I'm saying any of this as if it's somehow a requirement for making comments or anything, I just liked you finding a way as well).
edit on 29-5-2016 by whereislogic because: addition

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

what??? you're one of the least Christ like posters on ats!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join