It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New rash of child accidental shootings

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I doubt that. We heard the same things about Obama and he has been the best friend of manufactures.

I'm only going by what she said.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

In my mind, a D&D game, or a friendly gathering at my house for that matter......is no place to bring a firearm. Particularly so if I was unaware of the fact that you were going to bring one.

Those I know who own.... like my friend the retired Captain in the Marine Corps.... You'd never know if he did have one.

And more importantly..... I know him. I trust and respect him.

Those I know who own.... are intelligent and responsible in their owning. They do not carry it around for show. They don't make a spectacle out of it.

Suffice it to say...why would I have a problem with someone bringing a gun into my house when the US Gov't approves and licensed them to carry?

Because they didn't have the respect to approach me, and let me know of and why they needed to bring it.

So, in other words.... If I *found* out after the fact someone brought a gun into my house without letting me know first....

They did not respect me, or my family.

Respect, is a three way street. Between you, Me, and your gun.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage

originally posted by: nullafides
a reply to: introvert

I was at, of all places.... a D&D game once. A new group, that a friend of mine who is a retired Captain in the Marine Corps brought me into the group.

In walks this ridiculous excuse for an "adult". Someone walked into the freaking game, with a gun on their hip.

My bud and I just looked at each other, excused ourselves, and left.

It doesn't surprise me to hear about this person who accidentally discharged their weapon twice. Good on you for taking the step you take.

Frankly, if someone ever concealed carry into my house...and I found out.... They wouldn't be coming back anytime soon.

I find that interesting. If a person is deemed by the state worthy of carrying a concealed weapon why would you fear them in your house? The example of the guy who experiences frequent accidental discharges I could see. Though I would hope he would lose his permit to carry as he is obviously not responsible enough to handle it.

I really cant think of a lawfull concealed carrying person as a threat in my home. No more than if a law enforcement officer came in.

I guess maybe if you didn't know and they were trying to hide the fact?

Explain why

This was not addressed to me, but I would like to respond.

I consider myself a 'man'. I do not enter in to any situation that I cannot control, for the most part, and I do not compromise on certain beliefs that I have.

One of them is the safety of myself and the safety of those I love.

If I am willing to ask an officer to provide a warrant to enter my home, I should have the balls to ask someone I know to be carrying to take their firearms back to their vehicle or hand it over. They can comply, or be on their way.

My job is to protect those that I love and I will not put faith in those that I do not know I can trust.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I doubt that. We heard the same things about Obama and he has been the best friend of manufactures.

I'm only going by what she said.

I believe she is pandering.

She is all about the corporate interests first.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

a reply to: nullafides

Open carry, outside of law enforcement, serves no purpose in my opinion. It's a cry for attention.

The purpose should be to protect yourself and your loved ones without drawing attention to yourselves. Conceal carry will suffice as long as you are properly trained. If not, leave your firearm at home.

To be fair, if Hillary gets elected, she'll try to pass legislation that would make it legal to sue gun manufacturers for gun crimes.

My son works property preservation in some pretty rough sections of town, pretty sure open carry has protected him a time or two. Now lets talk about the douchebag who showed up to a 5 YO's birthday party with a Glock on his hip.

Indeed lets discuss that deuchebag. If a patrol officer came to talk to the kids he would have one. why is it that if the deuchebag had one it is so awful?

why is it that we need to feel the need to train kids that cops are the only people allowed to carry guns?

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   

a reply to: BubbaJoe

Gun safety and training is the problem. It's not the firearms themselves. I wholeheartedly agree.

The NRA is a political organization, not a 2nd amendment advocacy group.

The 2nd amendment should not be a political issue.

I am going to agree with you, however, the well organized militia part is a problem. I am going to stop there, not sure where to go.

I believe anyone from the age of 17-45 is considered a member of the unorganized militia. I do wish the 2nd amendment was more specific, but that is a debate for another time. needs to be amended, but that open a huge can of worms.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

**APPLAUSE**

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress

Sounds like the National Guard to me.

edit on 5/22/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

As the constitution is a living, breathing document....

The logical part of me says.... you cannot claim right to own a gun unless you are part of a state militia.

BUT....

The 2nd amendment has morphed. It has gone far, far beyond it's original intent. It has taken root in the hearts and minds of all Americans. It is now a simple fact....we, as law abiding american citizens, have the right to own a gun.

Just my $.02

EDIT - HA!!!! Phage, we couldn't have written our two posts at a more apropos time

edit on 22-5-2016 by nullafides because: Cuz

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Open carry, outside of law enforcement, serves no purpose in my opinion. It's a cry for attention.

The purpose should be to protect yourself and your loved ones without drawing attention to yourselves. Conceal carry will suffice as long as you are properly trained. If not, leave your firearm at home.

To be fair, if Hillary gets elected, she'll try to pass legislation that would make it legal to sue gun manufacturers for gun crimes.

My son works property preservation in some pretty rough sections of town, pretty sure open carry has protected him a time or two. Now lets talk about the douchebag who showed up to a 5 YO's birthday party with a Glock on his hip.

Indeed lets discuss that deuchebag. If a patrol officer came to talk to the kids he would have one. why is it that if the deuchebag had one it is so awful?

why is it that we need to feel the need to train kids that cops are the only people allowed to carry guns?

Ok I will give you this one, but this guy was a douchbag to start with. Who honestly goes to a 5 YO's birthday party with a weapon??

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Good addition.

Sounds like the National Guard to me.

Indeed, but it needs to be more specific.
edit on 22-5-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-5-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

I was at, of all places.... a D&D game once. A new group, that a friend of mine who is a retired Captain in the Marine Corps brought me into the group.

In walks this ridiculous excuse for an "adult". Someone walked into the freaking game, with a gun on their hip.

My bud and I just looked at each other, excused ourselves, and left.

It doesn't surprise me to hear about this person who accidentally discharged their weapon twice. Good on you for taking the step you take.

Frankly, if someone ever concealed carry into my house...and I found out.... They wouldn't be coming back anytime soon.

I find that interesting. If a person is deemed by the state worthy of carrying a concealed weapon why would you fear them in your house? The example of the guy who experiences frequent accidental discharges I could see. Though I would hope he would lose his permit to carry as he is obviously not responsible enough to handle it.

I really cant think of a lawfull concealed carrying person as a threat in my home. No more than if a law enforcement officer came in.

I guess maybe if you didn't know and they were trying to hide the fact?

Explain why

This was not addressed to me, but I would like to respond.

I consider myself a 'man'. I do not enter in to any situation that I cannot control, for the most part, and I do not compromise on certain beliefs that I have.

One of them is the safety of myself and the safety of those I love.

If I am willing to ask an officer to provide a warrant to enter my home, I should have the balls to ask someone I know to be carrying to take their firearms back to their vehicle or hand it over. They can comply, or be on their way.

My job is to protect those that I love and I will not put faith in those that I do not know I can trust.

certainly agree with you there. Your house your rules. Though I think a police officer wishing to gain access to your home without a warrant and a friend who has a concealed carry are quite different things.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   

ndeed, but it needs to be more specific.

Too late.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   

If I am not mistaken, many 2nd amendment supporters in the early day of the republic were against or apprehensive of the individual right to possess firearms.

The right only served the purpose of defending the state/country.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Too late.

Would you agree that the 2nd amendment needs to be amended to be more specific in those rights? I am pro-2nd, but also believe it requires some "restrictions".

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Ok I will give you this one, but this guy was a douchbag to start with. Who honestly goes to a 5 YO's birthday party with a weapon??

Well, if you invited one, a cop would. And it wouldn't even seem weird.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I thoroughly agree. As stated, it very succinctly states....

Something other than what is popularly bandied about.

But, as I said... I believe it's reason for existence has morphed. It has grown. And, I believe that it should be amended (the 2nd amendment should be amended itself) to state that law-abiding adult citizens (non-felons) are granted the right to own a gun for the purpose of self defense, defense of their family, defense of the state, defense of the nation, or the ability to feed themselves.

Again, my $.02.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   

You can't amend an amendment but it seemed that you were talking about defining "militia". As far as I'm concerned the Constitution did that. And explicitly stated the governing authorities of that militia. The National Guard is precisely that militia.

Lest I be misconstrued, I am not necessarily in favor of the banning of private gun ownership. I do think that claims that the 2nd amendment says that there should be no regulation are absurd.

edit on 5/22/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Too late.

Would you agree that the 2nd amendment needs to be amended to be more specific in those rights? I am pro-2nd, but also believe it requires some "restrictions".

What restrictions would you like to see?

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

You can't amend an amendment but it seemed that you were talking about defining "militia". As far as I'm concerned the Constitution did that. And explicitly stated the governing authorities of that militia. The National Guard is precisely that militia.

Lest I be misconstrued, I am not necessarily in favor of the banning of private gun ownership. I do think that claims that the 2nd amendment says that there should be no regulation are absurd.

what regulation did the second amendment allow then?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join