It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lt. Gen. Boykin Fired for Free Speech

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

No, of course not.

But the words, once entering your awareness by the act of reading, caused a reaction?

That is, you've read other words that didn't cause that reaction, correct?

No they didn't cause a reaction. I read them, and I react according to my understanding of them.

The words are passive and innocent. The speaker is innocent. Once the words enter my "awareness" via reading or listening, they are under my jurisdiction, so to speak.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

Yeah, it's called comprehension, not a reaction.

Wait your turn.

I'll be glad to discuss this with you in due course.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

No, of course not.

But the words, once entering your awareness by the act of reading, caused a reaction?

That is, you've read other words that didn't cause that reaction, correct?

No they didn't cause a reaction. I read them, and I react according to my understanding of them.

The words are passive and innocent. The speaker is innocent. Once the words enter my "awareness" via reading or listening, they are under my jurisdiction, so to speak.

But you would not have had that reaction, or the understanding, or have taken any other actions or had any other experiences but for the presence of the words themselves, which you took into your reacting awareness via reading?

Would you have reacted if those words had not been read (transferred) or if you had not understood them?

It seems like the words themselves are ghosts haunting your awareness ... that seems unlikely.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

edit on 21-5-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Double post

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Exactly.

The very existence of the reaction is dependent upon the original existence of the words.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I did answer.

You did? :-)

Did you think nobody will notice you haven't?

If you tell us one more time that Western Civilization is the rightiest right there is - we will only have to have a discussion about your tendency to think that the right is Western civilization - and that the left is not a part of that. That will be an interesting discussion

I am so tired of these labels - but if you're going to stick with them - so am I

Why - do you never - criticize - the right? The right is blameless?

edit on 5/21/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Exactly.

The very existence of the reaction is dependent upon the original existence of the words.

Ignoring the cavalcade of semantic twitching, I'd say you are correct.

I think we can conclude: "QED" on this one.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Wait your turn.

I'll be glad to discuss this with you in due course.

Don't stifle me!

(it's cool, I'm not really into gangbangs)

*goes off to stroke his own ego*

edit on 21-5-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Now.

Is comprehension an act or action?

Or not?

(Also, let's remember we're relating all this to the concept of Free Speech itself, speech being composed by all accounts of words, as to the "topical" nature of our enterprise)
edit on 21-5-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
I'm not sure of the specific rules of the college, but if you value a free society, a man shouldn't be fired for expressing political views. You thought police advocates sicken me personally.

The left is running out of victims to paternalize over. Once we all can go into any bathroom we wish, I wonder what's next on the victim hierarchy?

For once agreeing with you.

And the bathroom isn't going to last, women and children are not going to have their dignity and safety ripped from them by sicko's! And I'm even talking about the very rare small percentage of true gender issues that some live with.

Speaking up apparently takes courage because most people are deficient in this basic skill and need to get practicing. Life and liberty seems to be at stake.
edit on 21-5-2016 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

But you would not have had that reaction, or the understanding, or have taken any other actions or had any other experiences but for the presence of the words themselves, which you took into your reacting awareness via reading?

The words out there, in this case on the screen, are different than my understanding of them.

Take a joke you do not understand at first, but understand later and laugh. It wasn't that the joke was unfunny, then magically became funny later on; it's just that your understanding of the words changed upon thinking about it further.

It seems like the words themselves are ghosts haunting your awareness ... that seems unlikely.

That's why I see this as a superstition insofar as we are endowing things with supernatural causation.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

You did? :-)

Did you think nobody will notice you haven't?

If you tell us one more time that Western Civilization is the rightiest right there is - we will only have to have a discussion about your tendency to think that the right is Western civilization - and that the left is not a part of that. That will be an interesting discussion

I am so tired of these labels - but if you're going to stick with them - so am I

Why - do you never - criticize - the right? The right is blameless?

Is the right blameless for what exactly? Stifling free speech?

I too don't particularly like those labels.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

sui generis

(Thanks for answering my questions, LesMis)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: superman2012
This PC society that is up and coming is so far beyond the realm of ridiculous that, at times, I wonder if I'm in a sitcom.

The horrors of being polite, respectful, and accepting difference in people and people who are not like you.

Society has its own evolution.

The past is littered in dust with those who dug their heels in and refused to evolve.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

sui generis

(Thanks for answering my questions, LesMis)

It is perhaps too radical a notion as of yet, but thanks for letting me attempt to defend it in a cordial manner.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Is the right blameless for what exactly? Stifling free speech?

For all that you put on the left...

Yes, Les - is the right blameless?

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

For all that you put on the left...

Yes, Les - is the right blameless?

No the right isn't blameless.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

No the right isn't blameless.

Was that so hard?

:-)

How about the rest of the question? Why do you only ever attack the left - if you're only interested in protecting all our freedoms?

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Another problem is when PC gets in your way to enforce the law.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I don't only attack the left.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join