It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should any educated adult believe any of the stone age religions are anything but make believe?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

originally posted by: Joecanada11
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'm not 100% against the idea of a god or creator. I do however know that the God of the "holy bible" isn't the type of God that I would worship. He personally has ordered the mass slaughters of millions of his own creation. He allows slavery. He condones rape of unwed women in the old testament. He condemns two people of the same sex having a loving relationship. He doesn't show his presence to everyone yet wants everyone to worship him, and if they don't then its an eternity in hell or annihilation in the lake of fire depending on which doctrine you subscribe to.

Bull sht
God doesn't "allow" anything, only people do that. Nothing you said is anywhere near being true, and all you are doing is proclaiming that you love immorality. So be it.

Where did I say that I love immorality? What did I say that isn't true? The things I said can all be backed up by scripture. God gave laws that were absolutely insane. He gave orders to his "chosen ones" to kill many times in the bible. I'm against the kind of immmorality spokend of in the old testament.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Any educated adult should see that religion is a tool of control. Christianity states that men should follow God and wives should follow their husband. It's a hierarchy of control. It also creates a division out of like-minded people who share similar values.

There may be some historical value, but for the most part religion is a trap of the human mind. It takes our natural connection to all things and replaces it with a dividing dependency on falseness. Because of this, I believe it should be considered Child Mental Abuse to take a kid to church.

Religious friends or family will often defend their religion due to the component of love. To this, I say, a good mouse trap isn't going to use plastic cheese at the center-- that won't draw the mouse in. There is a very real delicious piece of cheese at its center, but that doesn't mean it's wise to eat from the trap.

Replace all religious dogma with love, and the dividing principle disappears. Every educated adult should see the truth in this.

edit on 3-4-2016 by spiritualzombie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualzombie
Any educated adult should see that religion is a tool of control. Christianity states that men should follow God and wives should follow their husband. It's a hierarchy of control. It also creates a division out of like-minded people who share similar values.

I was religious when I was younger.

I lost my religion due to research and educating myself with factual information.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
I was a Christian and now I am agnostic. I would love for there to be more to life than what we see but...
Is there one shred of evidence that is obvious and objective that anything in any of the stone age religions is true? I mean if the creator magical wizards are all powerful, they sure going out of there way to hide from modern man.

I am not trying to argue with anyone, I am trying to find some reason to have faith and after 47 years of life I see no reason at all to have faith in what stone age people thought was science. In fact I see the religions as nothing more than humanities attempt to understand the world and Universe they lived in.

Not questioning the reality of religion is a cop out to believe in the unbelievable if you ask me.

It might help to understand that religion is largely, I believe, allegorical.

Beyond the basic and valuable teachings of doing good to your fellow human and reframing from doing evil, religion is like Freemasonry…largely allegorical symbols for higher knowledge.

The inner meaning of religion is where the truth and useful tools are for spiritual progress.

But it’s no panacea…Its hard work.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

What I do ponder often tho,
my fellow member, is how many atheists are mortified by the possibility that
there is a God. Because I'm convinced and that's what scares the crap out of me.

Really not sure of your meaning her.

You ponder how many 'atheists' are mortified by the possibility? No, sweetie..they don't even entertain the idea.

So - they are mortified "because you're convinced"?
and that scares you?

Why?
I don't get it. Their beliefs and eventual fate are no concern of yours.....they have no interest in ideas of God. They are indifferent.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I was religious when I was younger.

I lost my religion due to research and educating myself with factual information.

.......said Annee and many, many millions of free-thinking, educated adults. Very common theme.
Statistically, higher education reduces religiosity. That's why all the CINOs are all worried and abusive of public education....
there's no "emphasis" on "God."

And they resent any attention to the fine arts, music, philosophy, history, etc....those are the first to hit the chopping block. No more Western Civ, no more basic math, social issues, science, humanities, civics, politics, Western Civ before even being able to declare a major! ....just an exclusive glorified trade school - that is what these "prestigious private universities" are doing. They're all status and money and glitz and famous - but they are not giving rounded, balanced educations to those youngsters. I know this - my daughter attended one. She, however, was on a scholarship, having graduated at the top of her public high school class. The rest were funded by very wealthy parents and learned nothing of real life skills. Just their "technical school" stuff.

Sad.

The Conservative Right does not want youths learning about anything but how to be an otherwise 'vapid' "expert". That's what they want - they sneer when they say,

"Well they do call it Liberal Arts & Sciences." (so it must be bad!).

edit on 4/3/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

I'm not 100% against the idea of a god or creator. I do however know that the God of the "holy bible" isn't the type of God that I would worship. He personally has ordered the mass slaughters of millions of his own creation. He allows slavery. He condones rape of unwed women in the old testament. He condemns two people of the same sex having a loving relationship. He doesn't show his presence to everyone yet wants everyone to worship him, and if they don't then its an eternity in hell or annihilation in the lake of fire depending on which doctrine you subscribe to.

Bull sht
God doesn't "allow" anything, only people do that. Nothing you said is anywhere near being true, and all you are doing is proclaiming that you love immorality. So be it.

Where did I say that I love immorality? What did I say that isn't true? The things I said can all be backed up by scripture. God gave laws that were absolutely insane. He gave orders to his "chosen ones" to kill many times in the bible. I'm against the kind of immmorality spokend of in the old testament.

When you condemned God for condemning immoral things. You can still back out of that though.
Oh I know, in today's world all those immoral things have faded and some are now "moral", but the truth is that they still aren't.
The laws were only insane to you because you don't understand the reasons behind them. We all deserve God to kill us all right now and completely wipe out this sinful planet, but because of what Christ did is why we are still here.

Every single person on this planet deserves death. Understand? God did nothing wrong, but people sure did. You can now choose your future away from all that, but only if you choose it. If you choose unwisely, you will have no excuse on judgement day. Accountability is coming to planet Earth very soon. Good luck.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

there is a God. Because I'm convinced and that's what scares the crap out of me.

You ponder how many 'atheists' are mortified by the possibility? No, sweetie..they don't even entertain the idea.

and that scares you?

Why?
I don't get it. Their beliefs and eventual fate are no concern of yours.....they have no interest in ideas of God. They are indifferent.

I can tell you exactly what he meant. Atheists are mortified of the possibility of God being real because of accountability for sin. Even though it is smarter to squelch all the arrogance and grab a little humility in the process, some atheists would rather take their chances that God isn't real and continue on being their same old selves. But if they are wrong and God is real, then they are mortified of what the outcome will be.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   

and that scares you?

Why?

I can tell you exactly what he meant. Atheists are mortified of the possibility of God being real because of accountability for sin.

If I have to be accountable to something outside myself, I'd say that is a problem. Also an excuse.

I had an epiphany when I made that final step completely out of the "God Circle". I felt free, like a huge weight was lifted off me.

And I realized I had not been living my life for the good of life and mankind. I had been living my life in fear or pissing off an imaginary being.

IMO, God belief is very debilitating.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

I can tell you exactly what he meant. Atheists are mortified of the possibility of God being real because of accountability for sin. Even though it is smarter to squelch all the arrogance and grab a little humility in the process, some atheists would rather take their chances that God isn't real and continue on being their same old selves. But if they are wrong and God is real, then they are mortified of what the outcome will be.

Yes and thank you. Also even tho an atheist may choose to be a "moral" man/woman?
With out God, all things are permissible. Our present existence is allowed so the rest
of the universe can see what happens when we have no guidance from our Father in Heaven.
You have noticed we are on the verge of ruining the only home we have? No guidance, it's quite
obvious.

edit on Rpm40316v15201600000054 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
With out God, all things are permissible.

That is ridiculous.

I do not need an imaginary being outside myself to be aware I am part of a society.

A society of rules for the betterment of humanity.

Many use God as an excuse for mistreatment of others.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

and that scares you?

Why?

I can tell you exactly what he meant. Atheists are mortified of the possibility of God being real because of accountability for sin.

If I have to be accountable to something outside myself, I'd say that is a problem. Also an excuse.

I had an epiphany when I made that final step completely out of the "God Circle". I felt free, like a huge weight was lifted off me.

And I realized I had not been living my life for the good of life and mankind. I had been living my life in fear or pissing off an imaginary being.

You are definitely being fully deceived then, and you are embracing that deception because it gives the gift of not being accountable, and not being accountable is the driving force behind all of the worlds leaders doing all the evil things that they do. They too don't want to have God getting in their way just like you, because living without accountability is so much fun and freedom isn't it?

Why do you think all the authoritarians and tyrants in the world are so called Atheists? It's because it makes them feel secure that the things they do will have no consequences, (except of course the enjoyment they get from it).

If you only had a clue at just how powerful the evil forces are, and what they can get you to believe, you might begin thinking for yourself again. Blaming it all on God, or proclaiming he is only imaginary is the biggest cop out there is though.

It does however make it so easy for you to choose that, since if true, means there is also no such thing as accountability eternally. Keep dreaming

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

and that scares you?

Why?

You are definitely being fully deceived then, and you are embracing that deception because it gives the gift of not being accountable, and not being accountable is the driving force behind all of the worlds leaders doing all the evil things that they do. They too don't want to have God getting in their way just like you, because living without accountability is so much fun and freedom isn't it?

More ridiculousness.

Most world leaders claim a belief in God.

There goes your argument.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   

and that scares you?

Why?

More ridiculousness.

Um, no, on the contrary.. World tyrants of old, Joseph Stalin, Chairman Mao, Marxist leaders, Cuban leader, and other well known communists are all Atheists.

There goes YOUR argument. I really didn't think I would need to spell it out what I was referring to, but this is the issue when confronting a denialist.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   

and that scares you?

Why?

More ridiculousness.

Um, no, on the contrary.. World tyrants of old, Joseph Stalin, Chairman Mao, Marxist leaders, Cuban leader, and other well known communists are all Atheists.

There goes YOUR argument. I really didn't think I would need to spell it out what I was referring to, but this is the issue when confronting a denialist.

Bye!

That same old ridiculous excuse of an argument.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

I will choose reason. I will choose not to believe in fairytales.

I never condemned God I am condemning the authors of the bible for their use of God to keep women oppressed and to oppress other nations and races. I condemn the authors of the bible for using the concept of a god to practice stoning people to death because they choose to love someone of the same sex. My mother is a lesbian and I will be damned before I follow a religion that treats homosexuals as anything but equals.

I made a choice to become a Christian when I was young and naive and looking for meaning and purpose in my life. Guess what I read the bible and it was the bible that turned me away. The bible makes bold claims that defy what we know is true in science.

If God created the earth solely for the growth of humans then why did he waste all that time with dinosaurs?

I'm not a perfect person and I have made many mistakes and I am learning. But I don't need God for that.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
The whole idea of God and heaven and hell, and God's judgment sending people to Hell forever.... eternal damnation... and then the whole "I am a jealous God" crap... First of all, it sounds like ridiculous Santa Claus threats for adults. But also, a jealous God that sends souls to torment forever-- sounds pretty low level on the spiritual totem pole.

Me personally, I can't worship a thing that's below me spiritually.

And then you got the whole self-reward thing. The only reason to be religious is for your own reward in heaven, or your 70 virgins, or your stocking full of presents. Completely selfish goal made up by less spiritually evolved men.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   

and that scares you?

Why?

You are nothing but ignorant. Atheists on average donate more time to community volunteer activities, and most importantly atheists commit less criminal activity than theists. You don't need a god to be a good person.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I don't think any of the major practiced religions where established during the stone age. But I am an atheist and don't dwell on such things all that much so I could be wrong.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   

I certainly don't want to worship him either. Though there are a set of circumstances where said god could exist, but then reality would be a cruel joke on humans since everything reality appears to be is a lie. Plus all the things that make life worth living would be considered bad or evil.
edit on 4-4-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join