It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should any educated adult believe any of the stone age religions are anything but make believe?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I was a Christian and now I am agnostic. I would love for there to be more to life than what we see but...
Is there one shred of evidence that is obvious and objective that anything in any of the stone age religions is true? I mean if the creator magical wizards are all powerful, they sure going out of there way to hide from modern man.

I am not trying to argue with anyone, I am trying to find some reason to have faith and after 47 years of life I see no reason at all to have faith in what stone age people thought was science. In fact I see the religions as nothing more than humanities attempt to understand the world and Universe they lived in.

Not questioning the reality of religion is a cop out to believe in the unbelievable if you ask me.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

I was a Christian, too....for the past 25 years. Now, I'm totally disgusted with all of it. I've had some intense spiritual encounters with "God"....and even many spiritual battles (demons, etc). But, a few years ago, I started digging into Paul (Saul of Tarsus) and realized he was a false apostle. Long story there, but suffice it to say....he NEVER sat right with me. I was filled with the Holy Spirit and was shown right off the bat that the things Paul taught, totally contradicted with Jesus' teachings. That led me to turn to the Torah....which then led me to do the feasts, which then had God (the true one) show me He never wanted animal sacrifice, or us to kill and eat them. So, now I sit and wonder....what the hell? I'm totally discombobulated with all organized religion and even "god" now. I believe there is "something" more...something "good". But, when I look around at this world and all it's suffering, evil, things surviving off of eating other things, it makes me wonder, "WHO made this world???" It's so messed up! How could a "good, loving, creator" make this mess? And don't throw the Adam and Eve, Paul crap at me. I've been there, done that. Spent years researching all of these questions I have. It's all BS.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Because you're so much wiser than over 6 billion other people.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
I was a Christian and now I am agnostic. I would love for there to be more to life than what we see but...
Is there one shred of evidence that is obvious and objective that anything in any of the stone age religions is true? I mean if the creator magical wizards are all powerful, they sure going out of there way to hide from modern man.

I am not trying to argue with anyone, I am trying to find some reason to have faith and after 47 years of life I see no reason at all to have faith in what stone age people thought was science. In fact I see the religions as nothing more than humanities attempt to understand the world and Universe they lived in.

Not questioning the reality of religion is a cop out to believe in the unbelievable if you ask me.

I have had 55 years, and found the same answers as you. I was very involved in several churches over the years, and as I witnessed immoral behavior time and time again, I finally said, enough is enough, I will find my own way. Still agnostic 20 years later.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Why should any educated adult believe any of the stone age religions are anything but make believe?

They shouldn't, but they do, and it's going to be a long tme before it changes, unfortunately.

+16 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: filthyphilanthropist

Because you're so much wiser than over 6 billion other people.

Actually yes. He just might be.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

You are missing the obvious.

From one walking talking force to another: the forces live and do will forces of their own.

The very question of reason invokes consciousness as a fundamental force of nature, as reasoning only exists conceptually.

If you seek the force that gives life - that is life - you should soon realize: only life conceives life.

Life is concept reproduction.

The one who conceived us is our God - the one who measured us of his will.

Seek him for yourself.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Wait , didnt the Stone Age end before the advent of any "formalized"or modern religions ?

The period lasted roughly 3.4 million years, and ended between 6000 BCE and 2000 BCE with the advent of metalworking

Stone Age

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
For some reason (boredom) i watched several debates of Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins in the last days.

Both of them brilliant speakers and rational atheists.

What came from the other side (christians and moslems) was cringeworthy: adult people believing in a guy who flew to heaven on a winged horse (aka Mohammed).
And believing in people who can walk over water.

They are all slaves to their silly and very outdated believes and even get angry when confonted with real questions.

Its really beyond me how someone in 2016 believes in these ridiculus stories and give them value.

The more i know about religions the more repellent it gets.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Bleeeeep
There you go: a contradictive statement

If you seek the force that gives life - that is life - you should soon realize: only life conceives life. Life is concept reproduction. The one who conceived us is our God - the one who measured us of his will.

If life is conceived by life it s not conceived by a God.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: svetlana84

He is life.

What you're trying to do is look into infinity.

Someone must be from always.

It is like asking what is outside the universe and what is outside that ad infinity.

The universe must be from always.

Edit: in respect to seeking the source of life. Life comes from life. Thus, the source of our life must be an eternal life - one from always. He is always.

Are you trying to argue that unconscious forces conceive themselves? That is a contradiction.

And again, the very act of reasoning presupposes consciousness as a fundamental force or law of nature. Reasoning only exists conceptually. By the very act of reasoning, you must accept conception as a fundamental law of nature.
edit on 3/29/2016 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Because people need something to believe in something for when times get hard.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven

You are asking several questions at once.

You "appear" to be asking about older beliefs, yet add science to the equation, two separate things.

Fortunately since you are NOT trying to argue, here we go. The older belief systems are intertwined with close workings of the natural world. It's more than a way to simply understand the world, it's a system, if you will, to be a PARTNER with the natural world. In extension a partner with whatever you call God.

Sorry you don't "get it" but these belief systems are still here.
Google the Nenet Peoples, Google any First Nations, Google the Maori, heck google Hawaiians.

These older belief systems have nothing to do with organized religions as they are currently understood, so apples and oranges. The older belief systems are based on your direct interaction and not someone telling you doctrine/dogma.
You get out of it what you put into it.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Define "educated."

So far you make it seem as if this word just means to renounce and reject the faith, spirituality, culture, psychology, and importance of religion in peoples' daily lives.

Your derogatory implication of the phrase 'stone age,' sheds light on your attitude anyway--

And let me tell you something, them stone age people were pretty damn clever in many ways; and educated in things many of us today would fail in.

Ultimately, you're going to have to decide for yourself if faith is in you or not--but certainly don't deride or question the intelligence of anyone who chooses it.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

I know the saying "There are no atheists in the trenches".

But especially when things get hard, the best to believe in is yourself.

Because ultimately it will be each owns actions which make them overcome hard times amd not some imaginary being.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Welcome to the club!!! Star, flag, and handshake!!

Oh, and I think "Bronze Age" is more appropriate than "stone age" to describe the modern Abrahamic religions....but their origins definitely come from far earlier, more primitive, pre-historical mythological and superstitious thinking. Every culture on earth has "origin" and "deity" myths. It's part of being human. At least other animals are spared that mental assault of "reasoning" and the resulting cognitive dissonance......

In the end, all we have is each other. There's nothing else but us, and perhaps a Divine Karmic wheel. There is no "bearded Jesus" who is "coming back" amid trumpets while riding clouds. No absent, expected savior is on his way. I'd rely on my dogs and cats for partnership before I would any human.

Either we manage it, or we don't -

"Reap what you sow." And "treat others the way you want to be treated". THOSE TWO STATEMENTS are the whole of life and of the soul's law.
In Other Words: Act like a greedy, selfish jerk, get treated like a greedy, selfish jerk.

edit on 3/29/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

So what exactly do you mean by "stone age religion"? I ask this before replying on the topic

edit on 29-3-2016 by Noinden because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I believe that is why they say "the lord helps those who help themselves".. lol

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   

They are all slaves to their silly and very outdated believes and even get angry when confonted with real questions.

Its really beyond me how someone in 2016 believes in these ridiculus stories and give them value.
The more i know about religions the more repellent it gets.

Yep! Every day it becomes more obviously ridiculous.

I decided to just give up.
It will be centuries before "humanity at large" begins to understand things.. maybe our great-great-great-grandchildren will get it and change things ......but meanwhile, humans will just carry on with trying to extinguish and annihilate one another and all other things living here. Because actual change and evolution is really slow....really, really slow.
sigh

edit on 3/29/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Matrixsurvivor

I feel ya. Ive had powerful experiences within Islam and Christianity and Buddhism. But I look at this world and am sickened of religion. I read Rumi and find so much beauty, but under religion there is so much ugliness as well... Even Buddhism still has its own cultural baggage. Makes me wonder if we are in the midst of evolving a new religion, and the New Age and Occult are childish grasps at a more enlightened version of the older religions washing it off its baggage. I go back and forth. I've experienced what I consider Christ consciousness, I've had powerful experiences with Sufis doing zhikr and have encountered the "supernaural" in a way that science is still very naive of... But with those flashes, I look at the world, Christians calling for nuking the ME, radical Muslims stoning women, the Muslim slave trade, the Inquisition, hell, even Tibet was a harsh theocracy with all its enlightenment.... and I sometimes ask, is it worth it. That maybe 5% of people awaken, the rest.. as callous as ever... Maybe the Gnostics were right..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join