It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma gun store declares 'Muslim-free zone'!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: Brotherman

He would have a problem.

It just would not be a legal one.

Sure but it would be his right personal problem or not. He is entitled to his views and the ability to have a business he sees fit.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
As for the OP the guy is a bigot, but I do not believe he should be forced by the government to do anything and that holds true in all cases such as this, that's my personal viewpoint.

Just to be clear, do you believe businesses in the US should be permitted to deny service to black people, men, white people, Texans, etc? If your town only has one grocery story, you would be forced to drive to another town to get a loaf of bread.

And you disagree with the Civil Rights Act?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

So you agree with this?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Not if his running of that business fails to comply with all existing law. At the moment, he is in violation of at least one, probably more.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
Idk the courts will determine if he is violating a law or not.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I walked into a cheesesteak joint in philly and a black cook from the back yelled get that cracker the # out of here, now I raised protest and basically was ready to fight over it, did I want a cheesesteak made by that man? Hell no, would you? Also I certainly wouldn't want the government to tell that man that he has to make me a cheesesteak. I think segregation was wrong and institutionalized racism built into our government was wrong, but I don't think private establishments should be forced by the government who they serve and why. That's the way I see things

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
Oh so now you are trying to paint me as a rascist because I believe a guy should be allowed to do what he wants with his business, brilliant. I dont make, enforce, or interpret the law that's the courts job. I do believe however a man should be able to do what he wants with his property as long as it doesn't injure, kill, or impede anothers person, property or well being.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Paint you as a racist? I didn't even use that word. I asked if you agreed with that sign since that is a sign that you'd see in many places in the South during segregation days. Segregation was made legal along the very same principles that you are defending this man's decision to stick a no muslim sign in front of his store.

But again YOU brought the word racist into the discussion, NOT me.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
You did throw that out there, it was pretty clear to me that is what you were implying. Had that not been the case you could have simply asked if I believe in segregation. What are you going to imply next?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

It's not my problem if I can point out a similar situation that makes you look like a bigot. There's a reason we ended Segregation, so you supporting doing the same to Muslims is only going to make you look like a bigot.

Again, -I- only asked if you agreed with that sign. Clearly it's the same thing right? I mean, how is that sign any different than the sign in the OP?

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Where did I support that? Let me be clear again, if he is breaking a law the court will figure that out, I'm not a lawyer, a cop, or a judge. Is he impeding the life, liberty, health, or property or freedom of others? I dont think he is because its a private business. So you can continue to paint me as a racist or a bigot all you want, maybe you should throw ignorance in their too because I'm not an expert in constitutional law. Either way while I dont agree with what he is doing I will let the court figure this out and I'll not glean my conviction of another from the convenience of my mobile telephone.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I'm not painting you as anything. I'm just going by your argument that it is ok to ban muslims from a store because it is private property therefore it must be ok to ban blacks from a store for the same reasons. Clearly you realize the parallels I'm making here because you are getting offended that people may think of you as a racist (even though I never accused you of such).

Is he impeding the life, liberty, health, or property or freedom of others?

Well yes. He's impeding the freedom of Muslims to go where they'd like in the country and shop where they like.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I walked into a cheesesteak joint in philly and a black cook from the back yelled get that cracker the # out of here, now I raised protest and basically was ready to fight over it, did I want a cheesesteak made by that man? Hell no, would you? Also I certainly wouldn't want the government to tell that man that he has to make me a cheesesteak. I think segregation was wrong and institutionalized racism built into our government was wrong, but I don't think private establishments should be forced by the government who they serve and why. That's the way I see things

It's ok to see things that way (Freedom of Speech and all), but the way to act on it is to try to change the laws to bring back segregation, not to break the law and violate the Constitution.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Private property is private property homes and businesses are considered that. Like I said I may not agree with it but I'm not one to judge.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

So then we shouldn't have ended segregation then right?

PS: The law says this by the way:
Discrimination in Public Accommodations

Federal and state laws prohibit discrimination against certain protected groups in businesses and places that are considered "public accommodations." The definition of a "public accommodation" may vary depending upon the law at issue (i.e. federal or state), and the type of discrimination involved (i.e. race discrimination or disability discrimination). Generally speaking, it may help to think of public accommodations as most (but not all) businesses or buildings that are open to (or offer services to) the general public. More specifically, the definition of a "public accommodation" can be broken down into two types of businesses / facilities:

Government-owned/operated facilities, services, and buildings
Privately-owned/operated businesses, services, and buildings

Government-owned/operated facilities and services. Government-owned facilities include courthouses, jails, hospitals, parks, and other places owned and operated by federal, state and local government. Government-operated services, programs, or activities provided by federal, state, or local governments include transportation systems and government benefits programs (such as welfare assistance).

Privately-owned/operated businesses and buildings. Privately-owned businesses and facilities that offer certain goods or services to the public -- including food, lodging, gasoline, and entertainment -- are considered public accommodations for purposes of federal and state anti-discrimination laws. For purposes of disability discrimination, the definition of a "public accommodation" is even more broad, encompassing most businesses that are open to the public (regardless of type).
- See more at: civilrights.findlaw.com...

edit on 17-2-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
“I thought this was one thing I could do to help protect our local soldiers.”

What an ungrateful jack ass.

Service to our nation is not negated by religion.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I dont think gun shops and firing ranges are included in their because of their predisposition regarding felons, people of limit mental capacity, minors, non citizens, people on terror watch lists, and wanted persons by law enforcement. Either way, its his right to be a bigot, I may not like the idea but its still his right. Whether what he is doing is illegal or not is up to the court, not our humble opinions.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Always fun to read the comments of articles like this. From what I saw you are a liberal troll who lives in a basement and collects welfare.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
Whether what he is doing is illegal or not is up to the court, not our humble opinions.

True, but there is nothing wrong with discussing it and weighing in on our opinions. Frankly, I'm just glad I don't live in Oklahoma anymore. I hated that state when I lived at Ft. Sill. I hate that state because of its lawsuit against Colorado for legal marijuana. And I continue to hate that state because of # like this. I wouldn't be surprised if you are right and OK rules that gun shops aren't public accommodations. It's something the boneheads in that state would do.
edit on 17-2-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

I bet you would feel differently if you weren't able to go into any restaurant in Philly, or in the whole state of Pennsylvania.

That kind of thing could happen to certain groups of people if we repealed non-discrimination laws regarding places of public accommodation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join