It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Amish Are Not What They Seem: A Business of Brutal Cruelty

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

always knew they were devil worshippers...

hates them

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Whilst everyone has the capacity for cruelty, throughout history it seems often its the ultra religious or religious sects that are the most brutal, all in the name of God & Salvation supposedly. They don't even realise themselves what hypocrites they are being and no-one is as important as the Man. Nowadays they hide behind religious freedom and secrecy and thanks to the last 20years of politically correct indoctrination we leave them alone for fear or the dreaded racist word, or as keeps popping up here the new buzzword of bigot.

Everywhere there is fear, fear of stepping out of line fear of being labelled a racist, fear of saying the wrong thing, fear of doing the wrong thing, fear of being labelled generally. This allows these sorts of things to continue not just with the Amish but any minority or sect and boy do some take advantage of our fear!

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

I don't think I've ever heard of "Amish" called a "race."

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I actually want to kill them all slowly, in an abandoned warehouse, over a 10 year period.

Edit: Obviously I wouldn't! But cruelty just makes me so angry.
edit on 11/1/16 by OpenEars123 because: Knee jerk post

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Thank you SO much for bringing this subject to our attention!
This is horrible to say the least. I have been working with animals
since 1995 as a Lic Vet Tech dual CA & VA.

Any time an abused animal was presented to the hospital we had
to contact authorities because people that abuse animals also abuse
people. Semperfortis may be familiar with this due to law enforcement.

I had no clue about the Amish situation. I have been to Lancaster PA
a few times with a friend to sell sheep. While waiting I would sit &
watch the horse auctions. I always thought them to be peaceful
people, however I have never really been around them besides the
auction.

I am shocked to learn about all the animal abuse, so happy that you
are enlightening us, & extremely thankful that you did NOT post pics.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I didn't call them a race, I was referring to any minority religious sect.
They that call out racism or bigotry don't care about the semantics they will still use it as a defence or justification

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Hey SO..I get it...and yes, there is a special place in hell for people that abuse animals...but...

If the News is that ALL Amish are not what they seem? C'mon...

Let's just say that the Amish live a different lifestyle but are as just as effed up as the rest of the country in some regards.

No one should assume "Amish" means "better"...only different.

Drug Problems? Animal abuse? sure...being Amish doesn't mean they don't have issues..

And I sure am not defending puppy mills...But "The Amish Are Not What They Seem"???..."The Amish"? as if it is a mandate of their religion and lifestyle to abuse puppies?

A little bit of a reaching generalization?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
When we consider the Amish, we often have the image of a quaint and simple people, living a quiet devoutly religious life without the intrusion of modern influences. Often romanticized in movies and TV shows, we’re presented with the visage of gentle people dedicated to an uncomplicated “country” lifestyle. However, as is all propaganda, it couldn’t be further from the truth. Notorious for working horses until they die in the field or can no longer walk from pulling buggies for hours on hard paved roads, the Amish are known for something that directly clashes with their supposed religious beliefs, brutal animal cruelty.

This hidden aspect of Amish immorality has been brought to light recently in Minnesota, where illegally operated puppy mills have been granted new licenses for expanding their operations. That’s right, despite dozens of reports of extremely brutal cruelty toward the dogs, and extensive citations from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Amish puppy mills are expanding in Minnesota. A state where 80,000 to 90,000 unwanted dogs are euthanized each year.

One of the Minnesota puppy mill operators, an Amish man with an extensive record of USDA violations related to illegal dog breeding, has been granted a permit to operate a puppy farm with 85 adult dogs. Dogs that will be kept in cages, with untreated wounds and illnesses, covered in feces and unable to walk will be churning out those puppies you see in pet stores. Speculation on social media is that these “devoutly religious” Amish are bribing corrupt officials in order to get their permits — permits that would normally be denied to operators with their history of violations.

Minnesota is just the tip of an iceberg of brutality. Often illegally operated Amish puppy mills have been a problem across the Midwest and Northeast for decades. Back in 1993, the New York Times ran a series of stories exposing the illegal and mind boggling brutal Amish operations in Pennsylvania. Puppy mills in Pennsylvania, Ohio, New York, and Indiana, most of which are operated by the Amish, refuse to follow state kennel laws and regularly accumulate multiple violations with little or no penalty. In the rare cases where an Amish puppy mill operation is shut down, it’s simply restarted on an Amish neighbor’s property.

Current estimates calculate that these mostly illegal Amish puppy mills are responsible for as much as 70% of the puppies that make it to retail pet stores. Masking the brutal points of origin through puppy auctions, it’s often difficult, if not impossible to trace the point of origin of these troubled dogs back to their brutal beginnings. And indeed they often come with behavioral problems, after being raised in sadistic conditions with little or no human contact outside of the ruthless operators. And all too often, these puppies with behavioral problems are too much for a family to handle, and are given up to shelters and humane societies where euthanasia is likely.

While in the broad scheme of all the world’s problems, these barbaric puppy mills might seem like a small annoyance amongst an overwhelming cacophony of societal problems. But is it really? Is this actually an example of how callous we’ve become; that we would allow these domesticated creatures that can give us so much, to be breed by the hundreds of thousands in such deplorable conditions? The only way to fix society is by one problem at a time, and this seems like an easy problem to fix. And fixing the smaller problems is the path to fixing the bigger ones.

The pound and animal shelters are over crowded and the fees to adopt, along with adults having to prove they are a homeowner or have permission from the owner, to adopt, drive people to pay a couple hundred dollars more and just buy one, that isn't psychologically damaged by abuse and neglect because it's a puppy, like most dogs and cats in shelters are, where close to 80 percent are full grown. They also come with pedigrees.

Just as many people cry over this terrible plight of the dog, the same person would prefer having their own kid over adopting an orphan but if they did adopt the orphan, they would likely prefer a baby over a 14 year old. The same person doesn't blink an eye at homeless people or people living in packed ghetto housing. Somehow, these people make some sick parallel they would never admit to, that these down and out human beings deserve bad treatment because people in general are so cruel to animals including tiny kitties and dogs with sad furry faces...so what if human faces are sad.

People cannot be the care takers of animals until they learn how to take care of each other first. Too many skip that step and have abnormal attachments to their pets, including horses.

The Amish aren't putting your asses to work to hear you moan and groan so feel grateful, instead they use an Ass or horse to work for them for their own health care, shelter, feed and water. Which this animal maintenence level is at the same level people put other people at. In fact, some dogs get better health care than people do. Some dogs get to sleep on living room couches, treated better than a homeless person sleeping in a doorway. The toys and clothes that can be purchased for them is disgustingly abundant. The pet care industry is a billion dollar industry. People dress their dogs. Their dog is their best friend because they can't stand people or themselves. The dog is their equal. Not a fellow human being. That is twisted. Sadly so. Pure dysfunction given the green light as normal just to feed the billion dollar industry. The billion dollar industry isn't generating most of its customers from animal shelter adoptions. Where do you think its coming from? A no brainer.

What's worse is how horses are treated and put on a pedestal. We have business owners who are so damn selfish, they will spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on horse stuff and horse shows for their horses and egos while paying their employees crappy wages or refusing to give them raises so they can keep up with living costs. That is abusive. To invest more in animals and livestock than people is a true sign of a mentally ill society. People first. Animals second.

If these mills are illegal then they are shut down. No one should be interferring in the Amish's business if its not.

Hug a person instead of a dog tomorrow. The dog will understand. They KNOW. oh yes they do. They know what's up. They milk it like people and why? Because idiots have elevated them to be on the same level. We should respect them. That is it. And if your dog, cat or livestock isn't working, Its A LAZY ANIMAL. Most pets laze around all day while your dumb ass goes to work...the Amish don't put up with that crap.

edit on 11-1-2016 by WhiteWingedMonolith because: (no reason given)

(post by Seamrog removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   
i didnt realize they rolled like that.
either way
the coolest things about the amish are

and

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

I am going to go one step better on this.I say it is because of their strong German bloodlines.OMG,did I say that? Yes I did. Let me explain. Germans have to be some of the cruelest people I have ever known. They seem to be without feeling when it comes to animals and children. Not that is not to say that all of them are. I don't mean that.But on the whole,Germans tend to look at things different. Things are getting better as time goes on,but yeah,they have what we would consider cruel ways of doing things. Let me explain on this.

The Germans have had superior bloodlines in their pure breed dogs,ever wonder why? Well they in the past have done a lot of what they call 'culling'. Lets say a bitch has 5 pups in a litter. Even if nothing was wrong with all 5, the Germans would kill three of them. Why? Only the 2 'strongest' were allowed to feed off of her. That way they kept only strong stock alive. No sense in the others taking perfectly good milk that could have gone to the strongest. To us that would seem cruel to kill off 3 puppies that were healthy,but that is the way they did things. Also, if 2 dogs in a show ring such as schnauzers were evenly judged to be of equal quality,in order to decide who would win best in breed,they would both be shoved into a cage with rats. In a timed event whoever killed the most rats won. Now do they still do this? No idea.

Please keep in mind that I have VERY strong German blood lines in my background,including Gunkles marrying Krouts (no joke). So I am in no way trying to demean the Germans,and they never did have the issues with the hip dyplasia like we did here,so they were doing something right. But I just can't deal with cruelty,and I have seen it in my own family time and time again.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Perfect!

Now we're piling on! Who else can we trash with abandon?

I hear Southern Baptists do terrible thing to bunnies...ready - go!

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoderickUsher
I live right smack in the middle of Pennsylvania Amish Country. Not far from Lancaster. The small town I grew up in had a very large amish presence. You would be dodging buggies on the roads on a daily basis and they owned a large contingent of pallet shops, saw mills, and various other business in our area, that also unfortunately included "puppy mills". They seem to have no real compassion toward animals. Viewing them more as assets (horses) or commodities (puppies, rabbits and the like) the treatment of the "commodity" animals is as cold an cruel as it gets. I'm not saying it to bash the amish as every encounter I've hd with them on a personal level has been pleasant, cordial, and polite although since I'm tattooed and peirced they probably called me the antichrist the moment I walked away. Another thing people dont always realize is these people have MONEY. ALOT OF MONEY. I have seen that with my own eyes when amish would come into the gas station to get snacks and drinks, they go to pay and literally pull out a roll of 20, 50,100 dollar bills. They pay next to no taxes but own businesses that generate significant revenues. With money, comes influence. No matter what you religious affiliation

That's because the money comes in, and it sticks to them, and they don't have the outgoings that normal business have . I heard they were the only farmers showing good profits . In some ways we could take a leaf out of their, book. But the cruelty aspect is just stupid, a lame horse, is a burden and shouldn't have got lame in the first place.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Thank you, Overlord. I hope ATS really can make a difference on this one.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

But because the amish rebuke most technology, this puts more value on the physical labors of their men. Yet it also puts the value on the animals.

A different kind of value. The animal is not valued for itself but as a business asset.

Cruelty to animals is perfectly acceptable, indeed admirable, by that kind of valuation.

Your post deserves a thread of its own. Start one and let’s discuss the issue properly. Message me when you do.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlordI used to have a high opinion of the Amish until I saw first-hand what they do with their beautiful draft teams when they are no longer able to work. I will never forget the first draft team I saw being loaded onto a truck, bound for a Mexican slaughter house. I was shocked that two beautiful horses who had worked hard their entire lives on an Amish farm would be thrown away on a feed lot to suffer an inhumane death. I was under the illusion that the Amish were kind and gentile and that they would retire their working teams to grassy fields when they were no longer able to pull. Since that day, my eyes have been opened to the cruelty of the Amish when it comes to all types of animals. I have a friend who goes under cover to these puppy mills, she has to dress and act like the scum of the earth in order to rescue 'the worst of the worst' because they will not let anyone that they think might be in the rescue community get these dogs to safety. They are sick and cruel people. Horse kill buyers are the same way, they will not let me get any horses at auction because they hate rescues.
edit on 11-1-2016 by slaughterhorseangel because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join