It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nicolas Cage returns stolen dinosaur skull to Mongolia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
www.bbc.com...

The Oscar-winning actor bought the Tyrannosaurus bataar skull in 2007, unaware it had been stolen.

Authorities said he voluntarily agreed to hand over the skull after learning of the circumstances.

The Con Air star bought the skull for $276,000 (£185,000) from a Beverley Hills gallery that issued him with a certificate of authenticity.

According to reports at the time, he outbid Leonardo DiCaprio for the skull.

The hell? I know Cage and the gallery dealer he bought it from aren't in trouble, and hopefully they can track down the thieves responsible, but can anyone just go out and buy dino bones? I figured all them bones were for the museums and universities only?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
www.paleodirect.com...

Supply and demand.

If the universities, researchers and others have "leftovers", why not make a buck?

$276k for a skull?

No thanks.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
www.paleodirect.com...

Supply and demand.

If the universities, researchers and others have "leftovers", why not make a buck?

$276k for a skull?

No thanks.

But, imagine the T-rex costume you could make with that thing!

Jokes aside, that is a very stand-up thing to do. Bravo Mr Cage.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

$276k for a skull?

No kidding! I can think of something a lot better to purchase than a dinosaur skull. Maybe a house? I guess when you have so much money you don't know what to do with, you start buying some outrageous things.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I'm glad that he gave the dino skull back to Mongolia, and hopefully they'll ask the gallery dealer where and how he obtained it. That's what should be focused on, imho.

edit on 22-12-2015 by Barzad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Lol getting burned for a quarter mil plus must really sting, it takes a big guy to eat that and still do the right thing. Now the mystery who stole it how was it transported who profited and how did the documents get procured?

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

No kidding! I can think of something a lot better to purchase than a dinosaur skull. Maybe a house? I guess when you have so much money you don't know what to do with, you start buying some outrageous things.

Yeah,,,,

www.celebritynetworth.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

you can buy countertops, sinks, stone ware etc. with fossilized ammonites and fish and stuff in them
pricey for a countertop but incredibly cheap when you consider what it is
dinosaur fossil is a lot more expensive in general but available
you can even buy amber with long extinct insects or small reptiles in them

i have a stone goblet with fossils in it somewhere around here i picked up for like $15
edit on 22-12-2015 by fartlordsupreme because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Blithering Barney! He could have funded his own expedition and dug one up for that price! Could have contributed to science and provided jobs.
I sincerely hope they catch the culprits and prosecute to the fullest extent.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Could have fed a few of the hungry, clothed a few of the homeless, sheltered a family in a rental for a few years....and received something to show for his money spent.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

Could have fed a few of the hungry, clothed a few of the homeless, sheltered a family in a rental for a few years....and received something to show for his money spent.

So who would be the lucky family? What about all the other poverty stricken families? I think they'd be pretty pissed off. Where would it all end?

Don't blame Cage, blame our lovely capitalist society.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Something sounds fishy. Did Cage ever have possession of the dinosaur skull? Will he get his money back? Was it a way of transferring money from a gullible actor (or a not so gullible co-conspirator) to an art gallery and then on to some further cause? The so-called art world is full of it.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Who doesn't matter more than the act of generousity being done.

I can and do blame Cage for his actions as he was born of free will.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Down in Alberta I've seen intact sabre tooth tiger skeletons for sale from 15-45k. I got a plate as a wedding gift that's pretty much solid fossilized shells it's one of my prized possessions. So yup anyone can buy fossils only limiting factor is money.

posted on Dec, 22 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Interesting site, bookmarking for next Xmas. But, can you buy a T-Rex skull?

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

Is that the only thing he should do with his money? Just have no interests in life except for charity? Heck, the people working at the gallery making a living could join the homeless maybe, instead of having jobs.

I don't understand why people criticize such things, but don't make a big deal about all the money sitting in offshore accounts benefiting nobody. Rich people spending money is a GOOD thing for the rest of us. Also, it's probably a safe bet Nicholas Cage donates plenty of money to charity.

Do people criticize middle class people when they buy a book, video game, or a piece of wall-art from Bed Bath and Beyond, when they could instead have bought food for the homeless? Charity is not the only thing there is in life.

Truth be told, if I had his money, I would spend a lot on charity, and I would also indulge my own interests.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Likewise. I donate to two charities on my meager wage and I buy stuff that I want. Should I spend every spare penny on charity? NO.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   

No, bones and fossils can be bought on the open market.

A mammoth tusk in good nick can fetch $50,000 or thereabouts.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Wikipedia says he is known as the most generous man in Hollywood or something like that. He's also one of my favorite actors. But, I personally cannot condone the lifestyle of most of the wealthy. Of course you should not spend every penny on charity. But owning 10 or more mansions, a flotilla of yachts, a squadron of mercedes' like Cage has done, while people are suffering, is not something I could ever fathom. But the dinosaur skull alone is not enough to warrant criticism if he is truly passionate about such things. 275K out of the 10s of millions spent on other frivolities isn't really a big deal.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Also, it's probably a safe bet Nicholas Cage donates plenty of money to charity.

Nicolas Cage is One of the Most Generous Men In Hollywood

www.factfiend.com...

I suspect that even if Mr Cage gave away his entire fortune it still wouldn't be enough for some people. Seems like a genuine stand-up guy, albeit a strange one but a good guy all the same.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join