It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bernie Sanders files marijuana bill in Senate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Washington (CNN)Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders filed a Senate bill Wednesday that would allow states to decide whether to legalize recreational use of marijuana and decriminalize the drug at the federal level. It's a sign the Democratic presidential candidate is willing to stake out a clear contrast on the issue with front-runner Hillary Clinton.

While some states have legalized pot, it remains illegal on the federal level.

"It's a state and a federal issue. The federal issue is that we should remove marijuana from the Controlled Substance Act. That's a federal decision," Sanders told CNN. "The state decision is that we live in a federal system of government where issues like tobacco and alcohol are significantly regulated by the states.

Bernie Sanders files marijuana bill in Senate

This is the first time that a bill to decriminalize recreational marijuana on the federal level has hit the national senate floor. Will the bill go anywhere? I don't know, but I am guessing it won't - there is a Republican majority in the senate at the moment. Still, it clearly shows where he stands on this issue, which is opposite of where Hillary Clinton stands. It could have implications for his Presidential campaign.

Plus, he leaves the regulations of marijuana up to the states to decide, which is a good decision and shows that he supports state rights.

And check out this bombshell:

But Sanders and others say it would allow growers and dispensers in states where marijuana is already legal to use the banks.

edit on 04pmWed, 04 Nov 2015 23:52:02 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

And you don't think Sanders is a Killary plant to make her appear more "centrist?"

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

And it has about a snowballs chance in hell to pass.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Just realized the OP is serious

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

What does that change?

Not sure what this has to do with Hiliary or Bernie being a plant, this issue is a bi partisan one.
Also one that the Hill dog didn't want to touch at the last debate. If anything this is Bernie trying to get some votes from her.
Think plants wouldn't do that, this puts her in a bad light with, what I assume, is a lot of voters on the left.
He is trying to do what a lot of people want.
Also packaging it as a states rights issue, which we all know who love that idea.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   

He just gave the MSM a nuclear pr weapon. Bernie Sanders and his followers will be dismissed and painted as young pot smokers. Can you feel the burn will be hijacked.

Assuming he is not the chosen one by tptb.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
This should pass for the the simple fact that the states who have legalized it, show a large increase in tax revenue, lower crime rates, job creation, and less use among young people. Yet i know here in Colorado the dispensaries aren't able to store money in the banks due to federal law. They have tried to create their own banks specifically tailored toward the dispensaries needs, yet the plan was shot down. The reason this won't pass is because they can just fine people 100-200 dollars if they find a small amount. Larger amounts mean larger fines, jail time, and make you jump through hoops with programs that are really only there to suck more money out of the offender. Like most things it will come down to money and whose hands it passes through.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Legalizing recreational Marijuana in the USA is a dangerous thing..

+23 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop

more dangerous than alcohol or prescribed drugs? maybe describe what a "dangerous thing" means to you.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

And it has about a snowballs chance in hell to pass.

Email them, I've heard that helps.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: mapsurfer_

more dangerous than alcohol or prescribed drugs? maybe describe what a "dangerous thing" means to you.

Dangerous, as in American youth/society doesn't have the mental maturity to properly handle:

- fast food
- easy to access medications
- firearms
- alcohol

Now we are going to let them smoke dope 24hrs a day, sit on welfare and eat Mcdonalds?

yeah, good luck with that...

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: mapsurfer_

Dangerous, as in American youth/society doesn't have the mental maturity to properly handle:

- fast food
- easy to access medications
- firearms
- alcohol

Now we are going to let them smoke dope 24hrs a day, sit on welfare and eat Mcdonalds?

yeah, good luck with that...

That's weird, Europe has (excluding firearms) easier access to everything you listed.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

true..

but they have the mental maturity not to eat themselves to obesity, not to shoot up cinema's full of people, not to go and buy every medication the TV tells them too..

you want to add marijuana to your society?

go for it.. I love a good smoke on the rare occasion with some fleetwood mac and a beanbag to relax on - but that's because i (and my country) has some kind of mental maturity.

...just don't expect positive things to come from it.

+19 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
AgitatedChop seems to forget that most of the US already HAS puffed the green stuff, and the universe has yet to implode. Dangerous my ass, beer's worse for judgement issues. And we all know how the 20's went without that anyway. Prohibition = LOLyeahright.

It probably won't pass, this time. The Senate knows they're just biding their ass-backward time before it does.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

yes, but what happens when its legally sold on most corners in the shops?

dope is short bursts now and then is great. Its relaxing, instills creative idea's, calms people..

but when you smoke and smoke and smoke and smoke you become a drag on society. Your social skills diminish, your enthusiasm and motivation diminishes..

meh whats the point.. you americans always know best.. go for it. legalize it.. rest of the world already has their mind made up on you lot.

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

I love a good smoke on the rare occasion with some fleetwood mac and a beanbag to relax on - but that's because i (and my country) has some kind of mental maturity.

Your country still considers that illegal though.

You should probably just go to jail.

+20 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Ask the states that legalized it how it's going for them. There's your answer. As for motivation, that's a dead horse argument that's been beaten & disproven time & again. Why keep coming back to the stupid reefer madness-era propaganda?

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   

What country do you even think I'm from?

My country is smart enough to take things on face value.

If your a knob walking the streets at 3am stoned with a bottle of whiskey in a paper bag and a bag of grass in your pocket.. your going to have to answer some questions to the cops.

If your a 9-5 worker, pay your taxes, pay your bills and are nice to people and a genuine human for society.. they don't give two hoots if you go home and light up a joint in your own company - quietly on some Saturday afternoon.

Its call being reasonable.. something America has yet to properly comprehend.

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   

true..

but they have the mental maturity not to eat themselves to obesity, not to shoot up cinema's full of people, not to go and buy every medication the TV tells them too..

you want to add marijuana to your society?

go for it.. I love a good smoke on the rare occasion with some fleetwood mac and a beanbag to relax on - but that's because i (and my country) has some kind of mental maturity.

...just don't expect positive things to come from it.

Wow, to be in the company of such maturity. We are not worthy. You are correct, this reefer may make me go mad.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Ask the states that legalized it how it's going for them. There's your answer. As for motivation, that's a dead horse argument that's been beaten & disproven time & again. Why keep coming back to the stupid reefer madness-era propaganda?

I love this site just look at those stars.. u2 kids

really? so you think smoking marijuana constantly for weeks on end doesn't give people a lack of motivation? a lack of going out there and doing something?

What junk science is that.. I'm talking from experience. if you sit at home and smoke day in day out you don't feel like doing crap. Your social skills deteriorate and your kidding yourself if you think they don't.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join