It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lesbian Couple Files Lawsuit After Hawaii Cop Arrested Them For Kissing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Lesbian Couple Files Lawsuit After Hawaii Cop Arrested Them For Kissing

HONOLULU (AP) - The Honolulu Police Department opened an internal investigationWednesday into allegations that an officer wrongfully arrested a vacationing lesbian couple after seeing them kissing in a grocery store.

Courtney Wilson and Taylor Guerrero, who were visiting Hawaii from Los Angeles in March, said in a federal lawsuit filed Tuesday that they were harassed and arrested because the officer didn't like their public displays of affection in a Foodland store on Oahu's North Shore.

They were walking through the aisles holding hands and at one point hugged and kissed, the lawsuit said: Officer Bobby Harrison, who was shopping in uniform, "observed their consensual romantic contact and, in a loud voice, ordered plaintiffs to stop and 'take it somewhere else.'"

The women complied and continued shopping, the lawsuit said. When Harrison again saw them being affectionate with each other, he threatened to have them thrown out of the store.

"We're used to people making remarks here and there," Wilson said of their two-year relationship.

While the women were in the check-out line, Harrison grabbed Wilson by the wrist, and she started to call 911, she said.

"He was bumping his belly against Courtney," Guerrero said. "He said, 'you girls don't know how to act. You don't know the difference between a motel and a grocery store.'"

When Guerrero tried to get in between her girlfriend and the officer, he shoved her. She kicked him as she was falling, she said.

"The whole situation got physical," Wilson said. "I got punched in the face by him."

Because Harrison didn't have any handcuffs on him, store employees helped restrain the women, as customers watched. "You can't really blame them for not getting involved," Wilson said of the bystanders.

What the heck is this craziness? Looks like some bigoted officer (and of note he was offduty) on a power trip.

The women were arrested and charged with felony assault on an officer. They spent three days in jail and each paid a bail bondsman $1,300 for bail that was set at $12,000 each, they said. They had to remain in Honolulu as a condition of their release.

The charges were eventually dismissed, Seitz said.

Also this:

He remains on full active duty.

How does this guy think what he did was an appropriate response? First off, kissing in public or holding hands in public ISN'T a crime. Second, that officer wasn't a security guard for that store, what business does he have telling these two ladies they aren't allowed to display public affection in it? Then to top it all off, after inappropriately confronting these two ladies he arrests them and charges them with assault on a police officer. Meanwhile this happened:

"The whole situation got physical," Wilson said. "I got punched in the face by him."

I hope he is fired for this, though he should be suspended right now...
edit on 29-10-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
People have a right to offend other people in public. This officer should have just looked away unless they were somehow going full indecent exposure. The right to offend without causing physical harm to others is what makes America great.

edit on 2015/10/29 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Hawaii's economy depends on tourism. They can't afford this kind of bad PR. This couple will get a huge payout settlement, ala the taxpayers. The police department won't suffer the loss of one penny over this incident.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
We have to remember that the acceptance of gay people by straight people (and uptight policeman) is so recent that tremors like this not only will occur but have to occur in the acceptance and healing process. Religion and societal bias against gays has been legally acceptable until a few minutes ago, so incidents like this, which happily will stay very minor, in actuality, when publicized and discussed, advance the learning curve.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Apparently the most "awful" thing they did was kiss and hug. Mostly they were just holding hands. It's clear this officer was mad that they were two women doing this. I bet he wouldn't have said crap to a couple holding hands if they were a man and a woman.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Woo-Hoo! I get to star your post again!

I think this officer was WAY out of line. He let his personal views impose on his job. He should be reprimanded, not on full active duty, to do it again!

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Well I can mostly guarantee that these two ladies won't be back. The article finishes with this.

In the meantime, they had to stay with family friends or strangers they befriended. At one point they thought they would have to go to a homeless shelter. They found jobs cleaning vacation rentals.

The incident happened on the second day of their vacation, which was their first trip to Hawaii.

Now THAT'S a vacation to remember...

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I think Officer Uptight should be suspended and/or fired.

By the way, I just let the women know they are free to have a kissing party at my house.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Apparently the most "awful" thing they did was kiss and hug. Mostly they were just holding hands. It's clear this officer was mad that they were two women doing this. I bet he wouldn't have said crap to a couple holding hands if they were a man and a woman.

I don't agree by any stretch with the officer arresting them, but if they were full on kissing (as opposed to peck on the cheek), I think that's full on trashy in a supermarket whether you are gay or straight. I'd almost suggest they intended to be provocative but maybe age is making me cynical. Repeating, I don't believe this should ever be an arrestable offence, but a bit trashy.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I couldn't tell from the article, does this city have any laws against lewd conduct or something similar? I'm not saying these women did anything wrong but I have seen some nasty things in public.
The witnesses thought he was out of line so it's likely he's just an ass.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

What's crazy is that these two women are attractive to boot. I know that many homophobes have problems with two men kissing, but even they tend to be ok with two attractive women kissing.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

I can't say I'm surprised honestly. I had a run in with a cop when I lived out there after my car broke down. He was rude, did the minimal to get my car out of the way, and left without seeing if I needed help.

Another time I was doing just over the speed limit and passed an off duty cop. He pulled me over, and after seeing the base sticker on the car proceeded to lecture me and threaten to give me a ticket, because I passed him.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Ok let's run with this premise for a bit. Let's say that they were full on french kissing each other. Does that entitle this off-duty police officer to play security guard in the grocery store? Does that entitle him to physically grab one of their wrists, plant himself in between them, and apparently punch one of them in the face?

Wouldn't it make more sense for him to contact the store's management and complain to them? Let the store handle it appropriately.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Officer Bobby was totally out of line and should be both fired and charged with harassment or assault. This kind of behavior is why so many people refer to police as "pigs".

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I didn't find any links about legislation about Honolulu's legislation about public displays of affection, but I did find this link.

PDA in the USA: The top 100 American cities for public displays of affection (beware of Honolulu if you hate seeing people make out

Honolulu is number 1 on that list.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

What's crazy is that these two women are attractive to boot. I know that many homophobes have problems with two men kissing, but even they tend to be ok with two attractive women kissing.

Does that in any way surprise you? If so you have surprised me. I'm sure many dyed in the wool homophobes would find the thought of female on female action erotic, sad state of affairs isn't it?

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Cops are never really off duty so he should do his job even on his day off. Usually they let the little thing go.
But that doesn't make what he did right.
Wrong is wrong.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

The case in the OP surprises me, because of what you just said. I'd expect even bigots to be ok with two attractive ladies making out. But this guy was SUPER offended about it.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I still say he should have just contacted management like a normal person.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Ok let's run with this premise for a bit. Let's say that they were full on french kissing each other. Does that entitle this off-duty police officer to play security guard in the grocery store? Does that entitle him to physically grab one of their wrists, plant himself in between them, and apparently punch one of them in the face?

Wouldn't it make more sense for him to contact the store's management and complain to them? Let the store handle it appropriately.

I didn't say it made any of the action (I'll assume it's all legitimately reported) that took place right, I said I didn't agree with any of it, but wondered if they were acting in a provocative fashion and that I thought it was a little trashy. Maybe it's different where you live and you can't make it to the frozen aisle without working your way round canoodling couples at every other step.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join