It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Plastic Carrier Bag Charges and the usual from the Daily Mail

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Ok. I should expect no less from the "Daily Fail" but seriously?

The 5p charge in Wales has been deemed a monumental success but it seems England will struggle to cope ...

(Huffington Post link used as its aggregated the UK Press)

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

Mods feel free to move this and ATS feel free to shoot me down in flames but I fail to see the issue.

A 96% reduction in plastic carrier use can only be a good thing surely. Both the Environment and Charities gain.

www.walesonline.co.uk...

www.organics-recycling.org.uk...’+carrier+bag+charge+is+the+way+to+go

www.theguardian.com...

www.walesonline.co.uk...

/Lunchtime Rant Over

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Has to be done unfortunately. Trials in Wales Ireland and Scotland were a success and they trialed it in england for a bit. Like all lifestyle changes it's annoying but this forced one has little downside other than adapting your life to having a bag for life in close facinity and no longer having copious amounts of spare plastic bags in the cupboard just in case....

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: rossacus

Indeed, but using the word 'chaos' screams a slow news day. I was about to say the DF sensationalises but this kind of proved my point.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
For a long time now, supermarkets like Sainsbury's and Co-op have been selling "long-life" bags, perhaps offering to replace them free when they wear out. I always take one of those to the shop, so I haven't needed a plastic bag for ages.
Carrying a shopping-bag is what people always used to do before plastic bags were invented.

edit on 5-10-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Cymru
Who cares about other people's lives when honest hard working British people have to pay 10p extra to shop ..you couldn't get bigger news if you wanted to.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: rossacus

They're avoiding the Rugby World Cup.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: rossacus
Who cares about other people's lives when honest hard working British people have to pay 10p extra to shop ..you couldn't get bigger news if you wanted to.

10p yeah such a bank breaker

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
The next step - which I would welcome - is a £10 charge for packaging from all drive through Costas, McDonalds and KFCs. These normally end up being chucked out of people's cars and litter even the most remote places.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cymru
Ok. I should expect no less from the "Daily Fail" but seriously?

The 5p charge in Wales has been deemed a monumental success but it seems England will struggle to cope ...

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

Mods feel free to move this and ATS feel free to shoot me down in flames but I fail to see the issue.

A 96% reduction in plastic carrier use can only be a good thing surely. Both the Environment and Charities gain.

www.walesonline.co.uk...

www.organics-recycling.org.uk...’+carrier+bag+charge+is+the+way+to+go

www.theguardian.com...

www.walesonline.co.uk...

/Lunchtime Rant Over

I don't get the rant? Where is the dailymail link or quotes?

Maybe I'm just slow and stupid today.... Hmmmmm

Edit: nm I see it in the huffpo link.

edit on 5/10/15 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Yep, typical daily fail drama. The bag charge is a good idea in my opinion, I've got a kitchen cupboard full of them so I'll just start using them up for the next year or so lol.

It's interesting how England is always the last to change with the times, think GCSE's, and the smoking ban.
I remember going home to visit my Mam after the ban became law in Wales, I lit a cigarette in a nightclub and was immediately pounced on by angry bouncers.
Thankfully they let me off when I explained I lived in England and just didn't think because we were still allowed to smoke in enclosed public places back then.

Regarding carrier bags though, I imagine when I use up my huge stored supply from my cupboard I'll still end up using as many, just paying 5p for the pleasure. 5 pence per bag isn't gonna hit my finances too much.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
This is a thing!?!? Freshman year of high school (2005) I did a presentation for earth day with this idea in mind. Why not charge a few pennies for plastic bags, or let people but reusable bags for 1 or 2$? Guess I should've tried to implement it here in the states..... Bahahaha -snort- ahahaha that'll be the day!!

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: seaswine
This is a thing!?!?
Yep, I had to buy my first two bags today at an English supermarket. The 10p it cost me is going to charity...apparently.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Was that the coop by any chance? Just nipped to buy a few beers and knowing that they would ask if I wanted a bag I asked for 10 because what else can you buy for 5p these days!

I then bought 8 loaves of bread at 15p reduced to clear, 2 packs of cherry tomatoes at 10p per pack a pack of asparagus at 17p and 2 bags of mixed salad leaves at 15p as well.

They loved me for it although there were a few grumpy old sods in the que

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: rossacus

Unfortunately, i have read many (sigh) comments on various sites like the Guardian online that "as usual, the poor will be hit the hardest"

You couldnt make it up.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

It's 5p!

I went to aldi today and made a big show of having to pay 5p for a carrier bag. It went down a storm

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
Was that the coop by any chance?
Nah, Iceland, needed cheese and ham for tomorrow's packed lunch, oh and 4 pint cans of Carlsberg Export for the bargain price of £4.
What Iceland and other stores are using the carrier bag charge for...

Asda, Iceland, Morrisons and Waitrose have joined together in a unique partnership
to support an initiative that will make medical history.

All four retailers have pledged funds from the new levy on single-use carrier bags to
support the construction of a new world class dementia research centre at UCL in
London, with the aim of meeting the G8 Group challenge, following a lead from
David Cameron, to find a cure for dementia by 2025.

This £350 million project currently has a shortfall in funding of £100 million, and the
cash generated by carrier bag sales in food retailers across Britain has the potential
to bridge much of that gap.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

So that only leaves Tesco then, not sure if they are following suit as Coop is giving theres away as well.

Not sure that a 4 pints of lager is appropriate for a packed lunch even if you are a plasterer.

It's up to you though I suppose.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Surely they are missing the positive spin on this, and that the carrier bag full of carrier bags in the kitchen will actually get used!

Door handles in kitchens and utility rooms will rejoice knowing their hefty burden of carrier bags will be lightened.

Man draws will not have to cry out on the issue of the migration of empty carrier bags being stuffed into them, so they can remain pure and functional with man bits and bobs.

It will all be burdened into the handbag and car boots of the nation. Leaving the home more streamlined and clutter free to the eye.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
Not sure that a 4 pints of lager is appropriate for a packed lunch even if you are a plasterer.
Haha no! The lager is for now, just opened the first one nicely chilled from the fridge.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join