It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cecil the lion's brother Jericho shot dead by poachers in Zimbabwean park

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Cecil the lion's brother Jericho has been shot dead by poachers in a park in Zimbabwe.

The animal was protecting his lion cubs after he was shot dead by Minnesota dentist, Walter Palmer earlier this month, sparking outrage around the world.

Johnny Rodrigues, Chairman for Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force, said in a statement: 'It is with great sadness and regret that we report that Jericho was shot dead at 4pm this afternoon.

'We are absolutely heartbroken. We have no further details but will advise as soon as we know more.'

Cecil the lion's brother Jericho shot dead by poachers in Zimbabwean park

Well, this is only one of two sources I could find the other from USA Today and with less information since this is too new and the details are too few, but here we have it.

Apparently, Jericho, Cecil the Lion's Brother, was killed by poachers this Saturday.

I know the usual crowd will come in and talk about how animals are hunted and killed all the time, yadda yadda, but this is just sad.

I'll post more info as it becomes available, but it looks like the poachers were poaching in the park. I wonder if Walter decided he needed another thrill kill (joke)?

ABC just joined in.

"It is with huge disgust and sadness that we have just been informed that Jericho, Cecil's brother has been killed at 4pm today," the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force said in a Facebook post. "We are absolutely heart broken."

Smh.

Man. The Most Dangerous Animal on the planet.

UPDATE: Cecil the lion’s brother Jericho is not dead despite rumors ?
edit on 1-8-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
It is likely that Jericho would have killed Cecils cubs to assume pack leadership.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Two Dentist in the area within a few weeks?

Must be an outbreak!

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Actually, they said he was protecting those cubs. Let me find a quotation.

ETA:
Oh yeah, It's in the OP.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
It is likely that Jericho would have killed Cecils cubs to assume pack leadership.

Actually he was under study because he was doing the exact opposite.........

But RAR RAR RAR KILL KILL KILL!!!

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Really? That's amazing
It goes against his nature. The study must be devastated over his loss.
edit on 1-8-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Again, I'll wait for the facts.

First reports are rarely correct.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I know the usual crowd will come in and talk about how animals are hunted and killed all the time, yadda yadda, but this is just sad.

Trying to justify poaching won't help that cause.

originally posted by: Liquesence

The animal was protecting his lion cubs after he was shot dead by Minnesota dentist, Walter Palmer earlier this month, sparking outrage around the world.

If that's intact the case, then it turned out positive until the poaching. So much for the turn around and then having a chance with being protected.

Earlier article before the breaking news:

But it seems the youngsters have found a new champion. Observers have spotted another adult male who appeared to be protecting the cubs from attack.

The lion had been spotted with the pride in Hwange national park, Zimbabwe, before Cecil's death and it is thought he is either a brother of Cecil or his former ally in the pride, Jericho.

He said: 'The natural law in lion society is that when a male dies and his weakened coalition is usurped, the new incoming males kill their predecessors' cubs. This may not happen because Cecil's brother is still holding the fort.'

Source -NZHerald

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

It said that in a previous news article, to which you aren't giving credit to. Anyway, that sometimes happens, but was not happening in this case.

(post by whyamIhere removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Zimbabwe has now suspended all hunting of lions, leopards, and elephants in the region where these two were shot.

www.ctvnews.ca...

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Zimbabwe has now suspended all hunting of lions, leopards, and elephants in the region where these two were shot.

www.ctvnews.ca...

Now there's politics.

Doubt anything will actually change.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

www.ctvnews.ca...

Because, um, poachers follow laws and all.

I'm glad they've suspended the hunting, but again, that won't stop scumbag poachers.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Obama visits Africa.

Makes unfavorable political speeches and comments.

Now this.

Hmmm.

Christ man, seriously? Are you being serious or taking the piss? If you're being serious I think I've finally reached the point where I realize that literally nothing is a bridge too far to blame Obama.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Probably not, other than perhaps a slow down.

Short of sending hunters in after the poachers, not much is going to stop poachers from doing what they do.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Gawker has an update here saying two Zimbabwe-based conservation groups are denying that Jericho has been killed.

CNN reports that, according to a senior park official, Cecil the lion’s brother Jericho, who is also a lion, was killed on Saturday in Zimbabwe’s Hwange National Park.

Johnny Rodrigues, head of the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force, told CNN that Jericho was shot and killed by a hunter operating illegally.

“It is with huge disgust and sadness that we have just been informed that Jericho, Cecil’s brother has been killed at 4pm today,” the group wrote on Facebook.

According to the Daily Mail, Jericho had been protecting Cecil’s cubs, who biologists had feared would be killed by a rival male taking over Cecil’s pride.

Update 3:25 p.m. – At least two Zimbabwe-based conservation groups have posted to Facebook denying reports that Jericho has been killed: Friends of Hwange and Bhejane Trust. CNN’s story hasn’t been updated; nor has the ZCTF’s Facebook page.

Can someone check the links and verify what Gawker is reporting? My web filter at work will not let me go to the links in Gawkers post.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

That's very interesting.

I can find no information to indicate he wasn't killed. All the media are still running with that he was killed from what I can find. Apparently the head of the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force confirmed it to CNN, so perhaps they *thought* it was Jericho when in fact it was another lion? Or it was him.

Since so many media outlets are saying it's true, if it turns out to not be true, that would raise some serious questions in itself.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Lol, the Great Lion Protection Racket:

We'll only protect the lions if you let us breed them for trophy hunting and make lots of cash out of it.

I'm told that if I care about the lions then this is the only way it is going to work. Darn it, blackmailed!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join