It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.5 Mag earthquake Nepal - Upgraded to 7.9 USGS

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: pianoasis
Nepal is nearly opposite to Chile on the globe is it not? I feel like the volcano eruption could have caused this..

Yes, they go hand in hand often and I believe they're related.

From my link above:

On May 24, Volcan Puyehue erupted, sending ash and steam as high as 6,000 m. The eruption continued for several weeks.

This quake was preceded by 4 foreshocks bigger than magnitude 7.0, including a magnitude 7.9 on May 21 that caused severe damage in the Concepcion area. Many aftershocks occurred, with 5 of magnitude 7.0 or greater through Nov 1.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux
Well I can't sleep in a tent, I mean I can't move physically. I'm paralyzed in a wheelchair.
So I'd have to ride it out literally. So it's not about money being a reason.
I don't like having to explain myself like this.
I appreciate what you're saying though.
It's just not always realistic for everyone who lives in the ring of fire. I could move east into the Yellowstone radius or even more east to tornadoes or even further east to hurricanes. Or south to forest fires. Danger is everywhere.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Latest death toll put at 1,300, I'm expecting it rise even more over the next 24 hours:

news.sky.com...

A powerful earthquake centred in Nepal has killed more than 1,300 people across four countries, flattening houses and temples as well as triggering a deadly avalanche on Mount Everest.

Latest from Everest:

At least 10 people have been reported killed after an earthquake triggered a "huge avalanche" which swept through Everest base camp. Romanian mountaineer Alex Gavan said there had been a "huge disaster" on the world's highest peak and pleaded for rescue helicopters to be sent before more of the injured died. "Helped searched and rescued victims through huge debris area. Many dead. Much more badly injured.More to die if not heli asap," he tweeted. Earlier he described "running for life from my tent" as the avalanche hit.

About 700 climbers are in the Solukhumbu region that includes Everest and about 300 of them are believed to be at base camp. "We are trying to reach them to see if they are safe, but the phones are not working," deputy superintendent of police Chandra Dev Rai said.

news.sky.com...
edit on CDTSat, 25 Apr 2015 13:40:09 -0500u3001x109x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: adding text

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=19275987]violet

Living in the PNW I get comments like this every time there's a quake on the other side of the world.

My response is pick your disaster. Even the Midwest gets quakes and their's are worse. Due to their geology quakes are felt farther and stronger than the west. They also don't have buildings designed for quakes (or even tornadoes).

Massive earthquakes and volcanic activity are rare in our area for our lifetimes, especially if you compare to other natural disasters.

If I'm going to die in a quake or lahar at least I lived enjoying the beauty of the area.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
RIP to all those who lost their lives in this disaster. How can the survivors not be seriously traumatized after this? Again though, I feel grateful that this did not happen to them in the middle of winter.

On another note, does anyone have news about those ancient Buddhist temples in Tibet that are literally built onto the side of cliffs? There have been lots of rockslides and landslides as one would expect after a quake like that. Seeing all those people dig in the rubble with their bare hands makes me feel so helpless and frustrated for them.

Last I read before going to bed was that they were sending planes over Bhutan (it neighbours Nepal) as their communications were down. Bhutan, Nepal, Tibet and even China had a 5.1 just on the other side of the mountains. A couple of people died in Bangladesh, and the quake was felt in Pakistan, not to mention mainland India. The entire area is ringing. I expect that this will take many days to assess the full damage and impact on the area.

I also wonder whether those massive cave systems might be affected. They are to the south, but on the same geological axis, as far as I can tell.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: pianoasis
Nepal is nearly opposite to Chile on the globe is it not? I feel like the volcano eruption could have caused this..

or some other mechanism caused both.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: collietta
I think BC is a beautiful place to live. i wasn't born here. My parents brought me from England snd I sure wouldn't go back there!

You're right, pick your disaster. Heck you could move and get hit by a car and die or whatever. I kinda learnt you have no idea what will happen to you.

We're near the volcanoes too, but you just can't live in a state of paranoia. I missed St. Helens going off in 1980, was in England visiting the relatives. My dads house got some of the ash.

I am however going to prep my EQ. Emergency kit. It's a task I never seem to finish. This is a reminder It should be.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: bottleslingguy

CERN spike 8.11am utc,earthquake 6.11am-same time

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
We know these areas exist, we know the damage they cause, why do we insist on building and allow living in danger areas?

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I'm seeing 18 killed on Mt Everest.

I still can't post videos. Found one on YouTube from a climber I'll try to just get the link to edit in

I think this was it

youtu.be...
edit on 25-4-2015 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
CNN says death toll is at 1,450

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
EVEREST DEATH TOLL
SOURCE

KATHMANDU (Reuters) - An Indian army mountaineering team found 18 bodies on Mount Everest on Saturday, an army spokesman said, after a massive earthquake in Nepal unleashed an avalanche on the world's tallest mountain at the start of the main climbing season.
Nepal's Tourism Ministry could only confirm 10 deaths, but spokesman Gyanendra Shrestha said the death toll could rise, and that the avalanche had buried part of the base camp. He said two tents at the camp had been filled with the injured.
One of those killed was Dan Fredinburg, a Google engineer based in California. He died as a result of head injuries when the avalanche hit, according to a statement from the mountaineering company that had taken him to base camp."We pray too for all those who have lost their lives in one of the greatest tragedies ever to hit this Himalayan nation," Jagged Globe said.Tourism ministry officials estimated that at least 1,000 climbers, including about 400 foreigners, had been at base camp or on Everest when the earthquake struck.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet
EVEREST DEATH TOLL
SOURCE

KATHMANDU (Reuters) - An Indian army mountaineering team found 18 bodies on Mount Everest on Saturday, an army spokesman said, after a massive earthquake in Nepal unleashed an avalanche on the world's tallest mountain at the start of the main climbing season.
Nepal's Tourism Ministry could only confirm 10 deaths, but spokesman Gyanendra Shrestha said the death toll could rise, and that the avalanche had buried part of the base camp. He said two tents at the camp had been filled with the injured.
One of those killed was Dan Fredinburg, a Google engineer based in California. He died as a result of head injuries when the avalanche hit, according to a statement from the mountaineering company that had taken him to base camp."We pray too for all those who have lost their lives in one of the greatest tragedies ever to hit this Himalayan nation," Jagged Globe said.Tourism ministry officials estimated that at least 1,000 climbers, including about 400 foreigners, had been at base camp or on Everest when the earthquake struck.

Climbing Mt Everest is a dangerous game, they knew the risks.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Nepal is on the Indo-Australian tectonic plate opposite side to where New Zealand, New Guinea and Samoa experienced eathquake activity last week.

These places are also opposite to Chile and the west coast of US/Canada on the other side of the Pacific plate where there has also been activity.
edit on 25/4/15 by troubleshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: troubleshooter

I think it's just opposite to .chile

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: khnum
a reply to: bottleslingguy

CERN spike 8.11am utc,earthquake 6.11am-same time

Interesting, I wondered about CERN
Wish they'd stop #ing with our planet
edit on 25-4-2015 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Death gloss bearing 1900
"Official death tolls reaches 1896 with 4718 people injured, Nepalese home ministry says"

Source: www.theguardian.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

damn that was #ty

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: kingofching

this is horrible In the Kalanki neighborhood, police rescuers tried to extricate a man lying under a dead person, both of them buried beneath a pile of concrete slabs and iron beams. His family members stood nearby, crying and praying.
Police said the man's legs and hips were totally crushed.
"We are digging the debris around him, cutting through concrete and iron beams. We will be able to pull him out but his body under his waist is totally crushed. He is still alive and crying for help. We are going to save him," said police officer Suresh Rai.

apnews.excite.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Just got hit by another quake.i am guessing at least 6. Went on for about a minute

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join