It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question to those who say being gay is a choice?

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: RobinB022

Nobody said that homosexuals were the same as pedophiles, murderers, hetero, or anything at all.

Many have said that if homosexuality wasn't a choice then therefore pedophilia isn't a choice either. To accept that homosexuality is not a choice (natural) is to accept that pedophilia is natural.

It does not mean that to me at all. I was speaking in terms of who one is attracted to and was it a choice.

Regardless of how a person chooses to take it, not once did I see the comparison in the same manner as being described here. Maybe pedophiles can't help how they are. I don't know. I'd like to know how a person comes to choose certain things that are unacceptable, but that's another thread entirely.

To me.. is was just a question of choice. After all, we don't know. We do know right from wrong though, and pedophilia is wrong. So I guess the real question is, is homosexuality wrong. Because that's really what the question in the OP is getting at in my opinion. Otherwise why ask if it's a choice.
And you see what road that took us on.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: cj6

Who is engineering it? no one.
It is just how nature works.
Again not a choice just a natural part of the human condition.
edit on 7-3-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Oh I understand that. I was just making an statement and making it clear. Some posters in this thread and other threads have implied that if we choose to accept homosexuality as being natural and not a choice, then it will lead us to accept pedophilia.

So I guess the real question is, is homosexuality wrong. Because that's really what the question in the OP is getting at in my opinion. Otherwise why ask if it's a choice.

That's what fundamental Christians and apparently other people have asked, not the OP. OP has turned it around to them.

Homosexuality is wrong so therefore it is a choice.
Homosexuality is wrong so therefore it is not natural.
Homosexuality is "icky" so therefore it's wrong.

You get the drift.

cj6

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Wow that is impressive. So if we can all outright determine that pedophilia is wrong without question and without debate...then why is it harder to determine whether it's wrong or right to be homosexual? Just to be clear we agree that an adult having sexual relations with a child is wrong, yes? Yet we can't agree on whether members of the same gender having sexual relations is right or wrong? Aren't they both outside of the "norm"? Yet one act is justified while the other is not......why??

cj6

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Engineered by no one? And you know that how?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Now people are genetically engineered to be homosexual?

Where did you get that from?

link   
Back to the original question, people choose all the time to be straight and ignore their feelings.

One of my closest friends who has been with his gay partner for about 10 years, has two kids from a previous relationship. He was raised a Christian and married straight out of school and tried to ignore it. He never followed any of his "urges" and eventually his wife realised that things weren't right and embarked upon an affair. They got divorced and this is when he decided to follow his "heart." So he did choose to be straight for many years until he realised that he wasn't happy. He obviously had sex with his wife and produced two fantastic, well adjusted boys who are comfortable with their father's sexuality. The fact is many people try to choose the path of being straight and all that goes along with it so in theory someone could choose to be gay. They might not be happy or attracted to the person they are with but they could choose that path.
edit on 732015 by Scallywwagg because: cat on keyboard

link   

Consenting adults...
Pedophilia doesn't have consenting adults involved.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Oh good god....

Ok who is doing the engineering then?.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Scallywwagg

Back to the original question, people choose all the time to be straight and ignore their feelings.

That would be a hard choice to make lol.

Anyway to clarify something up on your statement: no one can choose to be straight or gay. But they can choose to have sex with anyone against their feelings.

cj6

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Right cause no one under the age of 18 can give consent right? Wrong! Society says no one under the age of 18 can give consent, we made that rule. Anyone who can speak regardless of their age can give consent by agreeing or disagreeing if that's the case.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Pedophilia is an attraction to people who are around 11 years of age or under.
An 11 year old is not able to consent because they do not have the capacity to understand sex and it's outcome.
Just to add If you are attracted to 15-19 year olds it is called Ephebophilia.

cj6

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Um boymonkey74 you were the one that said it's genetics not choice. That means whoever or whatever creates us implants that code into our genetics to make people straight/gay/whatever ummm that would make the creator the engineer...of our genetics.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Only If you assume we were created by intelligent design.
I do not.
But If we were that would mean the creator put in the genetics of being gay on purpose and so completely natural.
So either way it is natural.
Like I have said it is just part of the human condition.

cj6

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Pedophilia is not defined by specific age, it's defined as sexual feelings directed toward children. In society anyone under the age of 18 is legally considered a child. Also there are children way under the age of 18 who engage in sexual acts. So you're saying a child can understand and consent to sex only with another minor but not with an adult. Makes no sense.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Please do not derail this thread with discussion of pedophilia. It has already almost derailed in this thread and others.

The discussion is is homosexuality a choice?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I think a few posters in this thread have got it right.

We are driven by our urges. Call it our animal heritage if you want. They are not a choice. Although they can be affected by external or internal factors, like psychical, physical stress or hormonal imbalance.

Sexual attraction is a complex thing, and depends on genetic, psychological and cultural factors. You can not simply choose to be hetero, homo, bi or asexual.

Whether some type of sexuality is considered anormal is a cultural thing. There can not be anormal behavior, if there is no norm.

It is important to differentiate between the desire and the action. Because the action is something that you choose to do (to fulfill a desire).

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Wrong look it up Like I have said pedophilia is to do with pre pubescent children.
Being attracted to teenagers is called Ephebophilia.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   

You have not answered my question where you got "genetically engineered" part from.

cj6

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Um no not natural just intended. There's no evidence to suggest that our creator is the creator of all. It's possible that our creator, our engineer, is only responsible for creating us and nothing else. Therefore our creator and nature may NOT be one in the same and that would negate your theory that homosexuality is natural.

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join