It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question to those who say being gay is a choice?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
If being gay is a choice as some would have us believe, then does that mean at some point in their life they were attracted to both sexes but chose to like the opposite?

Is that not the premise of choosing to be gay or straight..attraction to both sexes but choosing the preference of the opposite while fighting their attraction to the same.

I don't know about other people but I have always liked women..never once was I attracted to another man...never once did I have to make a choice between men or women.

I can honestly say I was born that way..

So why is it any different for gay people?
edit on 4-3-2015 by Onslaught2996 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Good question although you may be shot down for it.

As a hetro sexual male I have always been confidant in my sexual preference but on a few ocasions have questioned my love and attraction for other "men" becuase of mutual agreement an happiness.

Bromance is an odd thing to deal with in MHO.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I don't think it is a choice unless you are bisexual and then chose to suppress half of your desires.

I suspect that the homophobic ministers and lawmakers in the Bible belt are predominately bisexual as they always say it is a choice (which makes me suspect they are struggling with their own sexualities...) I've never had a choice in who I am attracted to, it just happens.

edit on 4-3-2015 by Elton because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I've never heard a gay man say that he one day decided to become gay. It must be some huge conspiracy among gay men to all agree together never to admit to choosing to be gay.

"Hey man, now that you're gay you can never tell anyone how you one day decided to become gay, OK -- that's like an unspoken gay guy rule!"

I just don't think it works like that.

Realizing you are gay is not the same as choosing to be gay. It would be like realizing your are cold, or choosing to go outside and become cold. The two aren't one and the same.

+11 more 
link   
I say we are too friggin up tight about sex. Straight, gay, bi, trans, who CARES!!! What ever blows up your skirt, it may not be my trip but who am I to judge you?

link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996
If being gay is a choice as some would have us believe, then does that mean at some point in their life they were attracted to both sexes but chose to like the opposite?

Is that not the premise of choosing to be gay or straight..attraction to both sexes but choosing the preference of the opposite while fighting their attraction to the same.

I don't know about other people but I have always liked women..never once was I attracted to another man...never once did I have to make a choice between men or women.

Great post, i totally agree.

Being gay is not a choice its as natural as hetrosexuality.
Anyone that says differently needs to take the blinkers off

Actually i believe that anyone who says it is a choice must think that they themselves chose to be hetrosexual.
And if that is true then they must have homosexual tendnencies, yes?

And they chose to be hetrosexual.
So they must be fighting their homosexual urges

Wow, what a way to be. Not.
edit on 4/3/15 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

"Homosexuality is a choice" is an unsubstantiated lie created to justify the "homosexuality is immoral" claim that the bible makes. This allows the homophobic Christian to be justify taking rights away from homosexuals without fear of going astray of the Constitution. All scientific evidence disagrees with this assertion though.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
It all comes down to religious persecution...without it, I doubt this debate would have ever come up in history. It would simply be you were with the person you loved.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996

Some are probably born that way and some are clearly a lifestyle choice. A good friend who is a lesbian is clearly a man in a woman's body (she looks very manly). I also know some clearly effeminate men. I'd figure they are born that way. On the other hand, we see a lot of trendy gays too or maybe we want to call them bi? Who knows. I really don't care what people choose to do in the bedroom.

The one question I've always had though is that if some was born gay, would they act gay if born on an island with no access to gay mannerisms? I see a lot of stereotypical flamboyant gays and just wonder if their mannerisms are natural or just an act to conform?

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
My brother actually had a brief sexual relationship with another boy when he was about 15 or 16. The other boy was a little bit older than him, but he is straight as an arrow to this day. That was the only guy he did anything with and he said he was doing it more out of curiosity and raging teenage hormones than pleasure. He said it was just a phase kind of thing and I believe him. So yes, I do believe it is a choice. Honestly though, who cares? Why does it matter?
edit on 4-3-2015 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Its not a choice, its a sickness... like pedophelia... unless you think pedophiles choose to be attracted to children.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton

I've never had a choice in who I am attracted to, it just happens.

This right here. Why can't we just admit this is the way it is, and go on about our lives. Why does the whole damn country feel the need to be in everyone else's bedroom?

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

So I've always dug hanging out with women. If you gave me a choice between swilling some nasty corporate beer and watching football with a bunch of dudes or going on a date with a woman, to me that's a no brained.... The woman, every time. I just dig the Yin vibes. PEACE
I

edit on 4-3-2015 by HUMBLEONE because: Yin vibes

+12 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

Its not a choice, its a sickness... like pedophelia... unless you think pedophiles choose to be attracted to children.

The fact that you compared having sex with a child to loving someone of the same gender speaks worlds about you...

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton
In my rather unworldly viewpoint, I read somewhere that there is no such thing as homophobic, only I'm-scared-I-might-be-a-homo phobic.

People can't help the way they were born, nor who they love. If my kids told me they were gay, nothing would change.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I don’t think there is one case in history that sexual preference has been based on choice.

There’s something deep inside or wired in us that chooses for us.

Now one can through will power choose not to pursue their sexual choice but that''s just will power...the desire is still there.

Ones preferred erogenous zones and sexuality springs up spontaneously and imo the sexual desire is wired inside something outside of choice

It’s involuntary

One doesn’t reach puberty and then say: Now what kind of sex should I like?

It happens on it sown outside of the realm of choice

edit on 4-3-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I personally believe that everyone is bisexual to some degree. Anyone who says they've never been attracted to someone of the same sex is lying. I think the atmosphere in which you are raised has a lot to do with whether or not you end up being gay or not. Not that either direction is more or less than the other.

And no, I'm not saying that the atmosphere that produces a straight or gay person is abnormal or deviant at all either - but I do believe that there is a strong chance that the first things that trigger sexual thoughts or feelings when we're children will eventually help shape our sexuality.

I do think at some point homosexuality is a choice.. That doesn't mean it's like a switch you can flip on and off, but I believe we are humans and we're sexual creatures and we're sexually drawn to sexual acts. At some point we make a determination as to what we accept from ourselves and what is unacceptable. From this point forward we cultivate and nurture that choice until it becomes such a part of us that it is no longer a choice at all.

I don't think it's a choice in the way that those who would demonize LGBT people would define it.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Wow, i hope that was ironic, I always enjoyed your opinions otherwise.

No joke, I can only assume that was a really twisted joke post.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

A sickness? Kind of like being a Christian zealot?

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

The fact that you compared having sex with a child to loving someone of the same gender speaks worlds about you...

It's not really a comparison - and to dismiss it like this says a lot about you as well.

If we're going to say that something is a deep desire, it's part of a person's nature and is therefor natural, we have to be willing to at least discuss that there are other deep-seeded sexual orientations that will probably never be socially acceptable but are also as equally not a choice as homosexuality.

I'm by no means advocating pedophilia, but we do have to ask the question whether or not a pedophile makes a conscious decision to be a pedophile, and if not, wouldn't that type of behavior be just as natural, though socially unacceptable, as any other sexual orientation?

I do understand the difference that one is attracted to a consenting adult and one is not - but if the discussion is about whether or not a person has a choice in what they are sexually attracted to and if that lack of a choice makes it a natural and therefore acceptable behavior, why is one lack of a choice acceptable and the other punishable by life in prison?

Again, I want to be clear that I'm not advocating or supporting anything here. I'm just pointing out that there are some inconsistencies in the logic.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join