It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida deputy drags mentally ill woman through courthouse by shackled feet...video

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Not that hole you've dug yourself into is even deeper because now you're just making stuff up. Please show me where any report said she was "wildly fighting"---I must have missed that report. The reports I read said that she refused to get up off the bench, not that she began fighting. The deputy started the whole incident by grabbing her chains and dragging her.
Yes, I am offended by his behavior because I don't believe that anyone should be treated that way. People don't lose their dignity when they lose their minds. She may be crazy but she's still a human being with the right to be treated as such. He is supposed to be the sane one in this situation and yet he is the one acting crazy.
Have you ever witnessed a mental meltdown that was made all better by people screaming at the melting person or grabbing them and dragging them by chains?

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: clearmind

in the US the mental health system is being reworked to house more forensic patients (you know, the folks who snap, kill their family members, then eat them?). This is due to the game changing situation afforded to the mental health system via SSRI's (and all the mass shootings they bring with them).

A nearby hospital moved its 500 some odd beds to almost fully forensic. They refitted the units to be worthy of prisoners, locked down the campus, and started treating the mentally ill prisoners that we talked about throughout the 80's and 90's.

For better or worse.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
sorry, double post...
edit on 26-2-2015 by diggindirt because: double post

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

poor soul

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
a reply to: FalcoFan

Why shouldnt she be allowed to have a tattoo?
Who says she didny buy it with her OWN money or someone paid for it, or she knows a tattoo guy who did it for free?

What you're seeing here, and in many of the other responses to this, is the acceptance of degradation based on social standing.

As a student of psychology I had lengthy discussions about the damage being done to society under capitalist extremes, where a man in a suit can harm thousands of people and be treated with utmost respect, while someone in torn jeans and a dirty t-shirt merely suspected of a crime is treated like an animal.

This thread and some of the attitudes here are a good example of what this class system mentality is doing to people. It's far worse in the US, because it seems to be actively encouraged that people in uniform are allowed to inflict punishment rather then serve their populations. America places far too much trust on poorly trained men and women in uniform, with no monitoring and little accountability.

All that's needed for some to deem others as "animals" is a programmed notion of class and position - I'm better than you, therefore you deserve no respect and I can treat you as I wish. This is the mentality we're dealing with here.

Several people in this thread are displaying these exact psychological traits, those of the abuser ready to judge someone else as being less worthy of basic rights than them, based on simple-minded things such as the association to crime (regardless of guilt) and tattoos. The same happens with race, religion, sexuality and gender.

These people will refute this, of course, but they can refute it all they like, it doesn't change the reality.

If anyone here really cannot see that what this officer is doing in this video is wrong, and is judging someone they don't know as being "deserving" of no respect or rights, there is absolutely something psychologically wrong with you.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Grow up...that WHINY little B***h. She should shut up and stop being such a baby.

HE was dragging the woman cos she is a pain in the ass and whined and cried and acted like a child. I would of beaten her myself if i was there.

Pathetic woman. Didnt get half of what she deserved

edit on 26-2-2015 by projectbane because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
Not that hole you've dug yourself into is even deeper because now you're just making stuff up. Please show me where any report said she was "wildly fighting"---I must have missed that report. The reports I read said that she refused to get up off the bench, not that she began fighting. The deputy started the whole incident by grabbing her chains and dragging her.
Yes, I am offended by his behavior because I don't believe that anyone should be treated that way. People don't lose their dignity when they lose their minds. She may be crazy but she's still a human being with the right to be treated as such. He is supposed to be the sane one in this situation and yet he is the one acting crazy.
Have you ever witnessed a mental meltdown that was made all better by people screaming at the melting person or grabbing them and dragging them by chains?

I am assuming that any attempt to gain physical control over her would have resulted in wild behavior. I think that is a safe assumption. You may disagree.

Anyone who acts like she acted has already lost their dignity. She threw herself on the floor like a two-year-old: dignity forfeited.

I have never witnessed a mental meltdown that was made better by any method other than leaving the presence of the person (not an option for the deputy) or the person being removed from my presence. The deputy's job was not to do anything other than move the woman to another location in a timely-fashion. If he'd picked her up, put her over his shoulder, and carried her like one might carry a fit-pitching two-year-old, people would still complain.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

originally posted by: HomerinNC
a reply to: FalcoFan

Why shouldnt she be allowed to have a tattoo?
Who says she didny buy it with her OWN money or someone paid for it, or she knows a tattoo guy who did it for free?

What you're seeing here, and in many of the other responses to this, is the acceptance of degradation based on social standing.

As a student of psychology I had lengthy discussions about the damage being done to society under capitalist extremes, where a man in a suit can harm thousands of people and be treated with utmost respect, while someone in torn jeans and a dirty t-shirt merely suspected of a crime is treated like an animal.

This thread and some of the attitudes here are a good example of what this class system mentality is doing to people. It's far worse in the US, because it seems to be actively encouraged that people in uniform are allowed to inflict punishment rather then serve their populations. America places far too much trust on poorly trained men and women in uniform, with no monitoring and little accountability.

All that's needed for some to deem others as "animals" is a programmed notion of class and position - I'm better than you, therefore you deserve no respect and I can treat you as I wish. This is the mentality we're dealing with here.

Several people in this thread are displaying these exact psychological traits, those of the abuser ready to judge someone else as being less worthy of basic rights than them, based on simple-minded things such as the association to crime (regardless of guilt) and tattoos. The same happens with race, religion, sexuality and gender.

These people will refute this, of course, but they can refute it all they like, it doesn't change the reality.

If anyone here really cannot see that what this officer is doing in this video is wrong, and is judging someone they don't know as being "deserving" of no respect or rights, there is absolutely something psychologically wrong with you.

Do check back with us after you've gotten out of school and lived in the real world for a couple decades. Have you ever considered the degrading job that deputy has? Yes, some law enforcement personnel (far too many) are brutal. Although his behavior was socially unacceptable, it was not any more brutal than restraining and transporting her by other common means.

I find it hilarious that you lecture about social standing and status and then refer to someone as being "treated like an animal". That implies that you consider your status as a human to be above that of an animal.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Again, you are wildly assuming stuff that didn't happen and that hole you've dug yourself into is turning into a well. As I said above, people don't lose their dignity when they lose their mind. What you seem unwilling to understand is that the woman had just been declared mentally incompetent---meaning she is not to be held responsible for her behavior, can't comprehend the idea of consequences----and yet you are holding her to normal standards of behavior.
But I understand your position---as long as the floor is slick, not jagged concrete---it's okay to drag a person with chains. Got it. Will file that in my memory.
May your life be filled with only mentally healthy people---I feel for anyone else with which you may have contact.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Again, you are wildly assuming stuff that didn't happen and that hole you've dug yourself into is turning into a well. As I said above, people don't lose their dignity when they lose their mind. What you seem unwilling to understand is that the woman had just been declared mentally incompetent---meaning she is not to be held responsible for her behavior, can't comprehend the idea of consequences----and yet you are holding her to normal standards of behavior.
But I understand your position---as long as the floor is slick, not jagged concrete---it's okay to drag a person with chains. Got it. Will file that in my memory.
May your life be filled with only mentally healthy people---I feel for anyone else with which you may have contact.

May your life be filled with raving lunatics until you reach a point where you realize that sending them comforting thoughts and air-blown kisses doesn't protect you from them nor change their behavior. I think you've forgotten that the deputy's first duty was to protect the public from this woman by removing her from a public space. it hurt your delicate sensibilities to see him do it efficiently. If several deputies had wrestled her into a hold and perp-walked her down the hall you would have complained about that -- except that it wouldn't have made a YouTube appearance and you wouldn't have known about it. This lunatic will probably be re cycled through the criminal justice/mental health system for the rest of her life. Huge amounts of money will be devoted to her care and incarceration. The only good that will likely come of it is that the time she spends incarcerated will be time she isn't making life a living hell for non-incarcerated persons. But I do suggest that you write to her and send her care packages. Don't forget to give her your name, address and phone number so she can show up on your doorstep when she's released and you can shower her with kindness and understanding. What a rude awakening you'll experience.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

Time sensitivity is not a big issue...believe it or not...5 mins, 10 mins, not an issue...

That said a small amount of patience is what is needed. After that, thete were at least 4 other officers avaible...but, as i said before, ill bet that officer is known aas the "rambo" type. Poor training, poor desicision making ability, poor attitude. Officers wonder why the public doesnt respect them....the public fears them, which is not respect, fear is not trust.

We were always cautioned about giving into a " us verses them" mentality. The officer starts to see everyone who is not an officer as a potential criminal, and all requests of the officer, the officet feels MUST be obeyed regardless of the situation or the legal ramifications of following the request of the officer.

What is know as " obstruction" , we in detention called it " contempt of cop" . And there were certain officers that brought in a disporportional number of "obstruction" people, sometimes it was the only charge.

Once again, "officer rambo" did the wrong thing and put himself and the dept in jepordy...,

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

I think you've forgotten that the deputy's first duty was to protect the public from this woman by removing her from a public space.

Please explain how this woman's behavior was a threat to the public. You know what... Don't bother. Her behavior wasn't a threat and there is no amount of mental gymnastics that you could perform to make it so. All that her behavior could be called is slightly disruptive, probably not as cooperative as the officer would have liked and also, well, irritating. Instead of taking the time to handle the situation appropriately, he manhandled her down the hallway and in so doing created an even more disruptive and disturbing situation than what he started with.

Not to mention, this woman is part of "the public" that the officer has a duty to as well but I think in your book crazy people don't count, so never mind.

edit on 27-2-2015 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Now you've scraped the bottom of that well you've dug for yourself by throwing out more wild claims---protecting the public from a woman sitting on a bench crying?
Wishing me ill doesn't add substance to any of your poor excuses for brutalizing another human being.
I understand your position---if the floor is jagged concrete it's brutality but if it is a slick floor we're all good to go. I understand your position.
Mine is different---I wouldn't want to treated that way so I don't think it is proper for others to be treated that way.
I don't know where all your imaginings originate----but you've obviously got the entire life story of this woman and all others who might suffer a mental breakdown. May the Creator have mercy on you.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Now you've scraped the bottom of that well you've dug for yourself by throwing out more wild claims---protecting the public from a woman sitting on a bench crying?
Wishing me ill doesn't add substance to any of your poor excuses for brutalizing another human being.
I understand your position---if the floor is jagged concrete it's brutality but if it is a slick floor we're all good to go. I understand your position.
Mine is different---I wouldn't want to treated that way so I don't think it is proper for others to be treated that way.
I don't know where all your imaginings originate----but you've obviously got the entire life story of this woman and all others who might suffer a mental breakdown. May the Creator have mercy on you.

Uh...you wished me ill first. I simply responded in kind. Of course your behavior escaped your notice. What Creator? Bringing your imaginary magic hobbit into this suggests that you...oh well, what's the point. I can see why you have such deep empathy for her.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

lol...magic hobbit....

AANNYWAY

I think you could agree it was not the BEST idea to drag her out by her feet. They do have tried and approved methods for removing incompliant people from anywhere.

no one should wish harm on any one. period

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3

lol...magic hobbit....

AANNYWAY

I think you could agree it was not the BEST idea to drag her out by her feet. They do have tried and approved methods for removing incompliant people from anywhere.

no one should wish harm on any one. period

Its very hard to move someone who dont want to be moved. Her parents should pay the court for having to deal with this.
edit on 27-2-2015 by Harvin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Harvin

OH I agree with you. But there was/is obviously something wrong with her.

What needs to be done is more training on dealing with mental people.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   

I never wished you ill. You need to read for comprehension.

My point was that I sincerely hope you never have to interact with anyone who is even slightly unstable---for the sake of those people since you have no compassion for the mentally ill and believe they should be drug across "slippery" floors in chains. Aggressive behavior is always preferable to passive behavior. I get it. Might makes right. I get your opinion.
My opinion is that dragging a human being by her chained feet is brutal and illegal behavior, no matter who is doing the dragging.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

bro no point in fighting over the internet esp with people with the mind set that mentally ill people are less deserving of compassionate behavior

no offence to anyone

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

No fighting here. I'm no fighter. I am simply dismayed by the attitude displayed by some posters toward this poor woman.
Further I'm amazed that a simple story can get so overblown---from a woman simply refusing to stand up from a bench to "wildly fighting" and "endangering the public"---without so much as a shred of evidence.

Why would anyone defend dragging a human being by chains attached to the ankles down a hallway? It simply mystifies me.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join