It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida deputy drags mentally ill woman through courthouse by shackled feet...video

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

An investigation into a Florida deputy was launched this week after video surfaced showing him dragging a handcuffed mentally ill woman through the Broward County Courthouse by her shackled feet.

Attorney Bill Gelin was in the courthouse on Monday and used his cellphone to capture the dramatic video of Broward County Deputy Christopher Johnson dragging 28-year-old Dasyl Jeanette Rios down a hallway, the Sun Sentinel reported.

The court had just declared Rios mentally incompetent in a felony trespassing case. According to WSVN, Rios couldn’t say goodbye to her mother after the ruling, and was taken to a hallway. When she refused to sit on a bench, Johnson began dragging her through the courthouse.

She should be glad she wasn't shot, tazered or peppersprayed.

edit on 24-2-2015 by SkepticOverlord because: Added video

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
www.rawstory.com...

An investigation into a Florida deputy was launched this week after video surfaced showing him dragging a handcuffed mentally ill woman through the Broward County Courthouse by her shackled feet.

Attorney Bill Gelin was in the courthouse on Monday and used his cellphone to capture the dramatic video of Broward County Deputy Christopher Johnson dragging 28-year-old Dasyl Jeanette Rios down a hallway, the Sun Sentinel reported.

The court had just declared Rios mentally incompetent in a felony trespassing case. According to WSVN, Rios couldn’t say goodbye to her mother after the ruling, and was taken to a hallway. When she refused to sit on a bench, Johnson began dragging her through the courthouse.

Wow...the report blows it out of proportion a bit. They said he battered her? She refused to sit, a direct order from a LEO after having JUST been in court and convicted of her crime. They say they should have had a wheelchair or whatever else, but if she refused to sit, then how would a wheelchair help?

Seems to me the only think the LEO COULD do was move her in any way possible. Hell...I drag my kids by their feet for fun on the floors at the house and they laugh.

Wussification of America is what this story is about.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

www.rawstory.com...

Damn!!!!

That guy showed super human restraint, she didn't get and breaks fractures or holes put in her for not immediately cowing to the officer.

The guy deserves a medal for being so kind and treating her with the utmost respect.

(Vomit time)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
She brought it on herself in my opinion. She was just convicted of a crime and she had no way of getting out of it. Her refusing to follow the officers orders was a blatant case of resisting arrest, she knew she couldn't get out of it yet she still resisted. I have no sympathy for her, she made it harder on herself.

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
She brought it on herself in my opinion. She was just convicted of a crime and she had no way of getting out of it. Her refusing to follow the officers orders was a blatant case of resisting arrest, she knew she couldn't get out of it yet she still resisted. I have no sympathy for her, she made it harder on herself.

You didn't read the article did you. She was judged mentally incompetent and she wasn't being arrested.

All she wanted to do was say goodby to her mother. There are much better ways to treat the mentally ill.

edit on 24-2-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
That is just wrong on so many levels. This guy should go to jail for a long time---in the general population. There is no excuse for handling an obviously mentally ill person in such a manner.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I thought people get trained to transport people safely and correctly?.
Yes she should have been removed but in a safe and respectful manner.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Since when did the "mentally ill" start getting those tramp stamps (tattoos above the rear)?

Maybe she should have spent those hundreds of dollars that the tattoos cost and spent it on meds?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

You see the toughest "gangsters" crying for their mothers when they realize they are busted-not all but quite a few.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Since you work in a similar field I'd be interested to know what you would have done. I think the cop should have stayed and restrained her while someone else went and got a wheelchair.

It certainly wasn't the best way to handle the situation, but it just seems like a training issue. Agree it was disrespectful.

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: FalcoFan

Why shouldnt she be allowed to have a tattoo?
Who says she didny buy it with her OWN money or someone paid for it, or she knows a tattoo guy who did it for free?

Whats next, if youre mentally ill, you cant have a tattoo?
Pretty sorry shot at her body art, if thats all you focused on, and NOT the fact this animal DRAGGED her thru a hallway!!!

BTW, I'm bipolar, have BPD and yes I have a tattoo, gonna get a second one too, should I be disqualified from doing that?

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Yes there is a chair they can restrain the person to and wheel them down the hallway

edit on 2/24/2015 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

I agree, but if the convicted criminal won't comply with a reasonable and safe transport by sitting down, then the only option left is to forcefully remove.

Guess he could have just left her there to cry, but I believe legal proceedings require the immediate transport of the criminal from the court back to a holding facility prior to being transported to jail/prison.

I would say that was a pretty humane way to move her actually....she wouldn't sit or walk so he slid her down the hallway on her shirt by her feet.....it's not like there were speedbumps or anything to hurt her along the way.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I disagree, you dont drag ANYONE down a hallway, you can still cause friction burns.
Its cruel and inhumane. You just simply DONT DO IT!

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC

I disagree, you dont drag ANYONE down a hallway, you can still cause friction burns.
Its cruel and inhumane. You just simply DONT DO IT!

The story said she refused. How would you suggest it be done? Force her into a seat, taze her, etc?

I believe if friction burns had occurred, based on the bias in that reprt, they would have brought them up.

Like I said, I drag my kids by their feet on our hardwood floors at home for fun...they ask for it. Never once had a friction burn though.

Poor poor criminals....guess she ALSO could have complied with the LEO order...I mean call me crazy, but she was just convicted of a crime and still doesn't comply with the law....

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I worked in the mental health industry from 1992 to 1998.

We would have been fired if we did something like that.

edit on 24-2-2015 by DMFL1133 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

You didn't read the article did you. She was judged mentally incompetent and she wasn't being arrested.

I'm with you, I have to say, regardless of the seriousness, 3NL1GHT3N3D1's post is hilarious and anything but enlightened.
Well, at least the Policeman now has IA breathing down his neck, and it would be nice if the numb nuts who were kindly opening the doors for him got some hot air too. This 'aiding and abetting' never fails to amaze me.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Absolutely disgusting! Sliding her down the hallway on her shirt is humane?? Are you kidding me? I, for one, have very sensitive skin. Whether my shirt came up while being dragged or whether it stayed down, I guarantee that I would be black and blue and covered in brush burns. Her shirt came up -- she will probably have some brush burns, and perhaps bruising, as well. A training class in how to treat the mentally ill and/or the defiant uncooperative person is in order. Sensitivity training wouldn't hurt, either!

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I work at a nursing home and though not similar we had an old war vet drop to the ground on purpose during a room change. He was thin but extremely strong for some reason and the more we tried to help and convince him, the more combative he became. To keep staff from getting injured, we let him stay on the floor for a while and a few of us kept a very close proximity.

You want to know what got him to stand up and finish the move?

A good speaker and the choice of words used which happened to be my administrator that day. He approached the hard headed man, got on the ground with him and spoke to him in a manner that no one else could.

While cops aren't professional psych counselors, sometimes a little time and patience goes along way. I bet nobody was willing to speak to her with respect and dignity after her conviction.

The only reason I share this story is because I sometimes feel that the mentally challenged can exhibit the same signs as our elderly on certain medication.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

WTF is a wheelchair?
Thing is police are prone to tipping people out of them rather than putting them in one..just to see what happens.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join