It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida deputy drags mentally ill woman through courthouse by shackled feet...video

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

Transport hold.
Just needs two people.
I bet I could train anyone that in 15 mins.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

That is a hidden problem in the jail system, mental handicapped person who slipped thru the cracks. Sad to see those people linger in the system with little to no help. Big problem with no solutions on horizen and with the increasing for profit jails, problem will just get worse.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Transport hold.
Just needs two people.

In this case, there was one person. Describe how the transport hold works and gets a person up off a chair or bench and down the hall.
edit on 25-2-2015 by Tangerine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: clearmind

That is a hidden problem in the jail system, mental handicapped person who slipped thru the cracks. Sad to see those people linger in the system with little to no help. Big problem with no solutions on horizen and with the increasing for profit jails, problem will just get worse.

Many mental hospitals were closed under Reagan and have not been reopened. Faced with a choice of letting these people run loose and harass and harm others, the system usually lets them do just that. When they commit a significant crime, they get arrested and thrown in jail. For one thing, there is this attitude that the mentally ill should be given great slack to misbehave. That attitude has to be changed. If they can't behave in public without harassing others, causing disruptions and committing crimes, they should be confined. Hopefully, they will receive adequate treatment but the first step should be protecting the public.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Well, looks like her and her mother are going to sue. So here is the latest:

Hope everyone is happy now.

www.dailymail.co.uk... urting-her.html

edit on pm228pmWed, 25 Feb 2015 21:04:47 -0600 by antar because: Link

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

Transport hold.
Just needs two people.

In this case, there was one person. Describe how the transport hold works and gets a person up off a chair or bench and down the hall.

Umm, there was NOT one person. You did see the people opening the door, did you not? Anyone of them could have assisted in a transport hold. There was no call to drag her. He could have radio'd for assistance saying he needed another person for a transport hold and waited. Considering how helpful people were in opening the door for him, anyone could have been just as helpful in lifting for a transport hold.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

Transport hold.
Just needs two people.

Umm, there was NOT one person. You did see the people opening the door, did you not? Anyone of them could have assisted in a transport hold. There was no call to drag her. He could have radio'd for assistance saying he needed another person for a transport hold and waited. Considering how helpful people were in opening the door for him, anyone could have been just as helpful in lifting for a transport hold.

Yet still no description of the transport hold and how it's used to get someone off a bench and down a hall. I await an answer to that query.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: antar

I must have missed the part where it mentions a lawsuit being filed.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Yet still no description of the transport hold and how it's used to get someone off a bench and down a hall. I await an answer to that query.

Look I'll be honest with you, when my daughter was trying to bite the deputies grabbing her shoulders, and trying to kick the female deputy in the face with her shoe, taking photos for 4 years down the road was the very last thing on my mind. And it's not as if there are tons of training photos online that cops had taken for the press that I'm finding on Bing or Google, but I haven't given up and I'm still looking for you.

I can tell you for my daughter, they crossed her arms in front of her chest to prevent her from hitting, and grabbed her at the arms, firm, but not hurtful. They also crossed her legs, and grabbed her at the ankles, after removing her shoes. Again, firm, but not painfully. They left no marks on her, got outside where the stretcher was with the ambulance, EMTs strapped her in, where the Psych doctor held her overnight in the psych pediatric section of the peds ER for evaluation. As for pictures, I will keep searching. I do hope this helps, as this is the best I can do. Sorry.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Many mental hospitals were closed under Reagan and have not been reopened. Faced with a choice of letting these people run loose and harass and harm others, the system usually lets them do just that. When they commit a significant crime, they get arrested and thrown in jail. For one thing, there is this attitude that the mentally ill should be given great slack to misbehave. That attitude has to be changed. If they can't behave in public without harassing others, causing disruptions and committing crimes, they should be confined. Hopefully, they will receive adequate treatment but the first step should be protecting the public.

I don't think that any one is saying that the mentally ill should be "given great slack to misbehave". There is a difference between someone who is mentally ill and engaging in criminal activity and someone who is fully cognizant and competent engaging in criminal activity. It should be taken into account that the mentally ill may not be as maliciously motivated and are probably not as great a threat to society as a whole.

Also, you are correct many institutions were shut down and so "those people" were left often to essentially fend for themselves. Families seek help and it is simply not available. Prison or frankly, just engaged in the criminal justice system is not the appropriate place for the mentally ill. They DO NOT receive "adequate treatment". They don't receive any treatment.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: clearmind

I agree with you on pretty much everything you said.

I don't think ANYONE should get away with crimes they commit. But if this woman was declared incompetent by a state doctor then who are we to argue with them? Like I said I agree with them being held accountable for there actions but being dragged across the floor is not right anytime, any where.

we all know there are better more professional way about moving non responsive people around.

and I don't think they should sue, and I don't think the guy should get fired but he definitely needs some more training.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Rios is now at a mental health hospital. Her mother says that they will think about what to do next after making sure she is OK.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... urting-her.html#ixzz3Sp5qwxpN
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
originally posted by: redhorse

I don't think that any one is saying that the mentally ill should be "given great slack to misbehave". There is a difference between someone who is mentally ill and engaging in criminal activity and someone who is fully cognizant and competent engaging in criminal activity. It should be taken into account that the mentally ill may not be as maliciously motivated and are probably not as great a threat to society as a whole.

Also, you are correct many institutions were shut down and so "those people" were left often to essentially fend for themselves. Families seek help and it is simply not available. Prison or frankly, just engaged in the criminal justice system is not the appropriate place for the mentally ill. They DO NOT receive "adequate treatment". They don't receive any treatment.

Thank you. I was told I needed Adult services, not children services. I was told I needed respite, but the state had stopped funding respite. I was told I needed therapeutic foster care, but no one would take my daughter because she was violent, and I needed to stop telling prospective parents to put their knives in a locked drawer. (Oh and what, wait until another child is hurt because my daughter does something she doesn't understand the consequence of? No, I don't think so! I'm going to lie to someone to get my daughter "off my hands". She's still my responsibility!) I was told she needed therapy, but the therapist wasn't taking new patients for another year. I couldn't even get her a pediatrician for another 6 months! Every time she needed a refill on her meds, we had to the ER because they filled her first prescription when we moved to the state. THAT'S how messed up stuff was. No amount of help could fix it.

The psych doctor at the ER was seriously mentally ill himself if you ask me! Everything was my fault! She was mad at her dad in PA not calling her in NC, that was my fault. She wanted McDonald's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and I got beat for it, well dammit, go buy it, and you won't get beat! McDonald's gave her a Happy Meal in a bag and not a box because they ran out, therefore it wasn't a real Happy Meal? My fault! She began beating me, IN THE HOSPITAL, BEFORE SHE WAS DISCHARGED. Psych doctor signed the discharge papers and said, "If she continues beating you in the parking lot, call 911, have the police come, bring her back in, and I will readmit her." Then why the F&%^% are you signing the discharge paper work to go through all of that??? Yet a few nights later, when he sent me home because "I was disruptive to her life", she fell asleep, and had a nightmare because he forced me to leave the hospital! She dreamt I left her like her father did and I was gone forever. So she hit a nurse. The psych doctor went to the magistrate to get a 5150 hold put on her and away she went to lock down psych ward. Guess who's fault that was? Oh yes, mine!

There IS no help for families of special needs or mentally ill, or BOTH, because of lack of funding, and severe lack of empathy.

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

There is no difference to a person who is a victim of a crime whether that crime was perpetrated by a mentally ill person or a non-mentally ill person.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt

originally posted by: antar
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Listen I came into this thread hoping to band with others against the tyranny, the cruelty against a poor defenseless mentally ill little woman, BUT, with eyes wide open it did not appear to be so cut and dry.

If i'ts a fight I will fight but I see nothing out of line here other than a poor option for handling a bad situation. Not only was she in contempt of court but was disruptive to the very system and others who deserved their day in court as well.

That's how I see it. This situation was far different from a situation in which some poor deluded person screaming that bats are eating them is clubbed over the head and dragged by the hair. I am strongly opposed to police brutality but this was far from brutal treatment.

Dragging a chained person by the chains isn't brutal? May the Creator have mercy on you.

What Creator is that? Why bring imaginary beings into this? But, now that you have, why didn't he step in and prevent this from happening?

She was being pulled along a slippery floor; she wasn't being dragged over jagged concrete. When he stopped and she was asked to get up, rather than getting up she amped-up the fit-pitching. Now I ask you which would likely have caused her more physical damage, being pulled along a slippery floor or grabbed, flipped onto her stomach, put into some kind of hold and yanked to her feet and dragged in a standing position? Because it was videotaped, the deputy will likely lose his job and the woman will win a big monetary award which she will likely spend on her favorite drug(s). Then she'll likely end up back where she is now.

Methinks you protest too much. The more you say, the deeper the hole you dig. So jagged concrete wouldn't be okay to drag her across but if it's a slippery floor, it's okay. I guess the shackles don't cut too deeply if the floor is "slippery" so that's okay.
The point of the post is that there was no reason to be dragging her along the floor. He instigated the incident with a woman just declared mentally incompetent. He knew exactly what he was doing. He is nothing but a thug and should have to spend time in jail for his assault on the crazy woman.
In all my life I've never seen yelling at a person in the midst of a meltdown do anything constructive.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   

In the video there was two sheriffs.
Don't try and say there was only one because they would have others to help transport the lady.
Transport holds work people in my type of work use it everyday.
If they just drop we let them drop and If needed we then use a wheel chair.

edit on 26-2-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

Look I'll be honest with you, when my daughter was trying to bite the deputies grabbing her shoulders, and trying to kick the female deputy in the face with her shoe, taking photos for 4 years down the road was the very last thing on my mind. And it's not as if there are tons of training photos online that cops had taken for the press that I'm finding on Bing or Google, but I haven't given up and I'm still looking for you.

I can tell you for my daughter, they crossed her arms in front of her chest to prevent her from hitting, and grabbed her at the arms, firm, but not hurtful. They also crossed her legs, and grabbed her at the ankles, after removing her shoes. Again, firm, but not painfully. They left no marks on her, got outside where the stretcher was with the ambulance, EMTs strapped her in, where the Psych doctor held her overnight in the psych pediatric section of the peds ER for evaluation. As for pictures, I will keep searching. I do hope this helps, as this is the best I can do. Sorry.

Thank you for your description. However, I do not understand how deputies could grab and immobilize the arms and legs of someone wildly kicking and hitting without "hurting" said person. I'm not suggesting serious injury (some people bruise easily and some don't) but some pain was involved, probably as much or more as resulted from that woman being pulled across a slippery floor.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: antar
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Listen I came into this thread hoping to band with others against the tyranny, the cruelty against a poor defenseless mentally ill little woman, BUT, with eyes wide open it did not appear to be so cut and dry.

If i'ts a fight I will fight but I see nothing out of line here other than a poor option for handling a bad situation. Not only was she in contempt of court but was disruptive to the very system and others who deserved their day in court as well.

That's how I see it. This situation was far different from a situation in which some poor deluded person screaming that bats are eating them is clubbed over the head and dragged by the hair. I am strongly opposed to police brutality but this was far from brutal treatment.

Dragging a chained person by the chains isn't brutal? May the Creator have mercy on you.

What Creator is that? Why bring imaginary beings into this? But, now that you have, why didn't he step in and prevent this from happening?

She was being pulled along a slippery floor; she wasn't being dragged over jagged concrete. When he stopped and she was asked to get up, rather than getting up she amped-up the fit-pitching. Now I ask you which would likely have caused her more physical damage, being pulled along a slippery floor or grabbed, flipped onto her stomach, put into some kind of hold and yanked to her feet and dragged in a standing position? Because it was videotaped, the deputy will likely lose his job and the woman will win a big monetary award which she will likely spend on her favorite drug(s). Then she'll likely end up back where she is now.

Methinks you protest too much. The more you say, the deeper the hole you dig. So jagged concrete wouldn't be okay to drag her across but if it's a slippery floor, it's okay. I guess the shackles don't cut too deeply if the floor is "slippery" so that's okay.
The point of the post is that there was no reason to be dragging her along the floor. He instigated the incident with a woman just declared mentally incompetent. He knew exactly what he was doing. He is nothing but a thug and should have to spend time in jail for his assault on the crazy woman.
In all my life I've never seen yelling at a person in the midst of a meltdown do anything constructive.

I am saying that virtually any method of restraining and transporting a wildly fighting person would have involved as much pain as was inflicted on her by dragging her across a slippery floor. I think you are reacting to the indignity of being dragged across that floor.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

In the video there was two sheriffs.
Don't try and say there was only one because they would have others to help transport the lady.
Transport holds work people in my type of work use it everyday.
If they just drop we let them drop and If needed we then use a wheel chair.

How do you get a wildly fighting person lying on the floor into the wheelchair without applying force to restrain them? Answer: you can't.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
if that was an orderly instead of a deputy, they would be fired for patient abuse. Doing that to that woman is an attack on her dignity.

Extraordinarily inappropriate. What ever happened to escorting patients? Or using a chair?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join