It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Tax Bills for the Poor, Tiny Ones for the Rich

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad
a reply to: Edumakated

Hooray. hooray for Herman Cain!

Herman Cain's 9-9-9 tax plan would raise taxes on 84 percent of U.S. households, according to an independent analysis released Tuesday, contradicting claims by the Republican presidential candidate that most Americans would see a tax cut. The Tax Policy Center, a Washington think tank, says low- and middle-income families would be hit hardest, with households making between $10,000 and $20,000 seeing their taxes increase by nearly 950 percent.

source

Those at the bottom would probably see huge increases because they aren't paying # now. From your source, "The Tax Policy Center, a Washington think tank, says low- and middle-income families would be hit hardest, with households making between $10,000 and $20,000 seeing their taxes increase by nearly 950 percent.

"You're talking a $2,700 tax increase for people with incomes between $10,000 and $20,000," said Roberton Williams, a senior fellow at the Tax Policy Center. "That's huge.""

So using basic math, you can figure out that if someone's tax bill is $2700 and it supposedly increased 1,000 percent as the article claims that means they weren't hardly anything to begin with.

All you did was prove my earlier point that even if a flat tax is fair, some people are going to complain because it would be regressive to those at the lower incomes.

Mr. Cain also sums up what myself and others said about why politicians and their lacky sheeple don't want to change the tax code in any meaningful way. ""The reason that our plan is being attacked so much is because lobbyists, accountants, politicians, they don't want to throw out the current tax code and put in something that's simple and fair," Cain said. "They want to continue to be able to manipulate the American people with a 10 million-word mess."

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: Edumakated

a reply to: Jamie1

Don't just open your mouth...

...Feed Your Mind!

READ

So are you going to stand with conservatives/tea party in calling for a flat or fair tax so we can get rid of the loopholes?

My experience is those who demonize the wealthy will a) never have a prayer of dramatically improving their own lives through their own efforts, and b) never stop wanting to take money from the wealthy.

They will live in a perpetual cycle of jealously and poverty which was probably passed down by their parents, and which they will likely pass down to their children.

I asked the question because I knew it would back him into a corner and mess up his world view. He has so bought into the evil rich aren't paying taxes meme and the liberal propaganda that I'm sure it surprised him when I pointed out it was in fact conservatives who have been pushing for changes to simplify the tax code to get rid of the very loopholes he is complaining about. Totally the opposite of what he has been led to believe.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: Edumakated

a reply to: Jamie1

Don't just open your mouth...

...Feed Your Mind!

READ

So are you going to stand with conservatives/tea party in calling for a flat or fair tax so we can get rid of the loopholes?

My experience is those who demonize the wealthy will a) never have a prayer of dramatically improving their own lives through their own efforts, and b) never stop wanting to take money from the wealthy.

They will live in a perpetual cycle of jealously and poverty which was probably passed down by their parents, and which they will likely pass down to their children.

ok then as opposed to those that demonize the poor will a)never have a prayer of walking in someone else's shoes to get a clue,and b)never stop hoarding their money.

They will live in a perpetual cycle of greed and self righteousness that was probably passed down by their parents,along with the fat inheritance,which they will likely pass down to their children ...

is more like it

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Personally, there should be no income tax or property tax whatsoever. However, Banks should be taxed out of profit, without changing rates, 30%.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Please quote me on saying the rich are evil, umm well where is it I said this, come out of your corner it is time to play!

Jamie, claims that I demonise the the rich, I just think they need to pay their taxes rather then shirking their responsibilities.

The rich do not want strong countries they want corporate control of governments, more profits!

edit on 25-1-2015 by AlaskanDad because: sp correction

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Blah, Blah, Blah

I see you addressed one sentence from the two sentence paragraph I quoted, though I am not sure how you missed the first sentence of the two. Here it is:

Herman Cain's 9-9-9 tax plan would raise taxes on 84 percent of U.S. households, according to an independent analysis released Tuesday, contradicting claims by the Republican presidential candidate that most Americans would see a tax cut.

So 16% getting lower taxes equates to: most Americans seeing a tax cut?

Or does the fact the poorest would see a 950% increase make you in favor of this tax plan?

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
It didn't take long for this to become a poor bashing thread.

Interesting how Jamie1 is all over this on page 1, cheer-leading for the wealthy and their tax breaks, it is also interesting how many other threads that deal with income inequality, climate change, welfare, ect.. that the same poster makes a point of being all over page one, essentially parroting Fox News talking points.

@Alaskan Dad, it is futile to try to reason with those who think the rich are taxed too much, and the poor are nothing but moochers that want handouts. We apparently can not have a civil discussion, just look at all the derogatory terms aimed at the poor that have been thrown in this thread alone.

When trying to have a productive debate on here, one needs to be aware of Propaganda and Debating Techniques and Common Logic Fallacies that are used(sometimes unintentionally) by many of the master debaters on here.
edit on 25-1-2015 by jrod because: add link

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

I often wonder why these folks worship the rich, some even claim to be business owners and part of the rich. I would say either they are liars or they take more time to post here at ATS than running their business. I would ad that it is sad that the rich (if these posters are rich) have nothing better to do then spend days on end posting here. Myself I have lots to do and find time every once in a while to drop by ATS.

I read the post and then I ask myself what was the reason someone would post such outlandish lies.

Follow the money! lol's

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I don't entirely agree with you, Blaine. The poor in Anchorage generally live in rent controlled subsidized housing. It's the middle class renters here who are paying for it in rent, not the poor. Combine that with the military's $2200/month rent stipend and you're left with a giant leap in rent prices between the poor and the middle-middle class.

A 4 person family in Anchorage making less than $64,000/year qualifies for subsidized rent capped at around $1,000/month... Meanwhile, a 4 person family making even $1 over the limit will end up paying at least $1,500, usually even more to find similar housing and qualifies for no breaks at all. That is the real insult here...

Elimination of ALL subsidies and handouts would allow market corrections and the rent for everyone would ultimately go down. That solution, however, is undesirable because it requires that everyone actually has some skin in the game and is expected to take responsibility for their own. (That's unacceptable but for some bizarre reason it is perfectly acceptable to require the upper/middle middle class and up to take responsibility for their own and for those below them.) Personally, I'm just patiently awaiting that glorious moment when all of us comprising Atlas decide it is time to relax our shoulders a bit, maybe even doing some theraputic shrugs.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join