It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Republicans and Democrats Really The Same?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree. I don't think the Democrats are doing anything really good for the country right now and I would not vote for one of their candidates, but I believe the extreme section of the Right-wing is downright dangerous to the health of our republic.

a reply to: xuenchen

That's what you said last time we discussed that particular issue. You can plug your ears and close your eyes to the matter, but that doesn't mean it's still not true.

Authoritarianism is not exclusive to the Left wing.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
a reply to: seeker1963

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree. I don't think the Democrats are doing anything really good for the country right now and I would not vote for one of their candidates, but I believe the extreme section of the Right-wing is downright dangerous to the health of our republic.

a reply to: xuenchen

That's what you said last time we discussed that particular issue. You can plug your ears and close your eyes to the matter, but that doesn't mean it's still not true.

Well, I agree with your above sentiment, but...........well, it's cool, I would rather amicably agree to disagree than make enemies!

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: misskat1
Two cheeks on the same butt.

Close.

Very Close.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

a reply to: sheepslayer247

I disagree.

Going further "Right" into Libertarian and Conservative requires less and less authority to achieve goals.

Less laws, less regulation, etc. etc.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

a reply to: sheepslayer247

I disagree.

Going further "Right" into Libertarian and Conservative requires less and less authority to achieve goals.

Less laws, less regulation, etc. etc.

Libertarian, yes. Conservative, no. Conservative now means that you are fiscally liberal with a focus on draconian social stances that stifle liberty.

But you do know that a libertarian is just one step to the right of a liberal, right?

But no matter what, authoritarianism is not exclusive to the Leftists.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Maybe needs some editing but ....

trying to locate the source of this table

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: shadowmyst

Of course there is a difference. One represents right-wing corporatism, the other left-wing corporatism.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: shadowmyst

Demopublican or Republicrat yes there is a difference.........in how each spells their respective parties. That about wraps that up.

Check out The American Pragmatist

Their 10 principles are, well, pragmatic.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: shadowmyst
I'm always hearing that both parties are really one in the same, but is there any real truth to the argument?

The idea is that they differ on small issues to create the illusion of choice, but pretty much are in agreement for any issues that matter.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Pretty much....U generally get more science understanding and more rights for minorities under Democrats and you get more Christian Doctrine rammed down your throat from the republicans, but besides that and the war on women and homosexuals...

They both cater and scamper around at the feet of their corporate overlords.

We've had Democratic congress majorities and president and we've had Republican congress majorities and presidents and nothing really changes.

Taxes don't really go down, there is no immigration reform, government never shrinks, Secret agency funding always increases, Welfare reform never really comes about, prison populations increase, and the environment continues to go down the tube. yeah?

I guess if they're both the same, and they are, then the little differences do matter? Like, if they are both the same but one rams outdated Christian ideology down my throat..then I'll take the democrats? I'd say taxes would go down under the republicans and government would shrink too, but that never happens.
edit on 15-12-2014 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   
The biggest difference is in the voters. Conservative voters are full of greed, hate and fear. Liberals have empathy and want peace and equality. Conservatives like to think both sides are the same because they need to justify their fear hate and greed. That's why you generally hear this idea that both sides are the same from conservatives. When liberals say it, it's like extending an olive branch, but deep down they know racism and torture and greed is way worse than anything they believe in.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Neither side is worth a damn but yeah they are different.

It is getting harder to tell though.
edit on 15-12-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: shadowmyst
I'm always hearing that both parties are really one in the same, but is there any real truth to the argument?

Your guess is as good as anyone's.

But here's my theory......

1. Political differences are real among different people. There really are people who are more liberal and people who are more conservative (as well as people who are more libertarian versus authoritarian)

2. If you want to run a government basically like a business (totalitarianism, basically), you still have to take the differences of common people into account. No matter what you want to do, you will never get everyone to agree on the same thing. If you just come right out and rule like a dictator and people realize they don't have any choices, you'll be too obvious.

3. There are some things that are easier to do when you present yourself as a liberal and there are some things that are easier to do when you present yourself as a conservative. If you want to rule over everyone like a dictator and give them the illusion of freedom and choice, the perfect solution would be to have two (supposedly) opposing parties. Each of them gets a few years in power to do things the other party doesn't have the support to do. Meanwhile, the supporters of the other party will believe the people they voted for are powerless to stop what's happening.

4. When there's an election in which one party wins big, people expect certain things to happen. So in this way, the two parties are working on the same project. Just from different angles. You would basically have a single party that has an answer for everyone. And of course, the key thing is you'd have a single party that looks like two parties.
edit on 16-12-2014 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join