It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Court blocks Texas Voter ID law: Calling it a "Poll Tax"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: macman

Do you feel better? LOL

I'm reminded so clearly of a tirade I saw a two year old go on in the grocery store. "MINE MINE MINE" he screamed as his mother made him put up the candy ...

Oh well. I'm sure that's coincidental.

I think you may want to check out the full language of the decision in Heller again, not just the part about the Militia.

Here, I'll help:

Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA v. HELLER (No. 07-290)
478 F. 3d 370, affirmed.

As to your bit about "show you where you said" ... perhaps you should read what I actually said again.

I asked you a question. I didn't make a statement.

You haven't answered the question, notably; perhaps you will choose to now.

And then, you can demonstrate where I have made any claim that we Americans should be disarmed ...

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

In the post I was basically inferring a person has to prove residence with some type of ID at some point. Glad you did add the background.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Issue a national picture ID that would solve the problem. You can't pickup a script or rent a movie or cash a check without ID so issue a national id. The right to vote is predicated to present proper id to show who you are that you are a resident of the state that you live. Whats the big deal?

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: guitarplayer

Ya just keep making laws to require you to prove you are a citizen. Papers please!!
What does the constitution say about papers checks??

You can't pickup a script or rent a movie or cash a check without ID so issue a national id.

None of these are constitutional rights, why is that so hard for people to understand?

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: guitarplayer

Issue a national picture ID that would solve the problem. You can't pickup a script or rent a movie or cash a check without ID so issue a national id. The right to vote is predicated to present proper id to show who you are that you are a resident of the state that you live. Whats the big deal?

Cashing checks and renting a movie are not constitutional rights. Requiring voters to go stand in line and pay whatever fees they have to, to obtain a photo ID to vote is a poll tax.

Come back to me when the state is enacting a program giving free ID's to everyone.
edit on 10/10/2014 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/10/2014 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Yes, what you said.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Show me where it is a constitutional right.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7

originally posted by: guitarplayer

Cashing checks and renting a movie are not constitutional rights. Requiring voters to go stand in line and pay whatever fees they have to, to obtain a photo ID to vote is a poll tax.

Come back to me when the state is enacting a program giving free ID's to everyone.

How is that a pole tax? As I asked before where is the constitutional right to vote spelled out in the constitution?

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: guitarplayer

Look up the 14th,15th,17th.19th,23rd,24th,26th amendments.
They all protect the right to vote, its not directly spelled out, but it is highly protected.

How is it not a poll tax if you have to spend money, or take a day off work to go get the "free" ID

There is no such thing as a free lunch, ask any econ teacher.
edit on thFri, 10 Oct 2014 17:04:32 -0500America/Chicago1020143280 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   

To whom does the constitution aply to? Non citizens? Like I said give everyone a free national ID then there would be no pole tax or give free state id's no pole tax.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Funny how people have no problem coughing up an ID to buy alcohol or cash a check or apply for welfare, but somehow it's a racially driven burden to expect them to show that they are legally of age to vote and provide some measure of voter fraud prevention.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Halfswede
Funny how people have no problem coughing up an ID to buy alcohol or cash a check or apply for welfare, but somehow it's a racially driven burden to expect them to show that they are legally of age to vote and provide some measure of voter fraud prevention.

Buying alcohol and cashing checks are not constituional rights./sarc

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: badgerprints
Free ID cards for minority.....as a matter of fact, free ID cards for ALL US CITIZENS and all voters required to show ID.

How does a person go about GETTING one of these "Free" ID cards?

There are none as of yet. I just think it's a good idea.
It would be worth the money to never have to hear this pissy crap again.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Free ID cards for minority.....as a matter of fact, free ID cards for ALL US CITIZENS and all voters required to show ID.

Texas is giving them away FREE! link

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew
Yes, it is going to discriminate against minorities. Those being the minority of citizens without a government issued ID. Those being the illegal aliens who are undocumented and cannot obtain a government issued ID. Way to pull the race card though.

Illegal aliens are not allowed to vote.
Even if they come up with an ID.
This is not disenfranchisement.
It is the law.

Do people not understand this?
Not a US citizen, not allowed to vote?
Not even a big surprise. Check out the rest of the world. All of the cool countries are doing it.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: retiredTxn

Texas is giving them away FREE! link

and here

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
So, let's focus on the real question again ...

If there is so little in-person voter fraud as to be statistically, reasonably and obviously insignificant, why are you guys obsessed with requiring special IDs? Americans have been identifying themselves for years for voting, but now, suddenly, new procedures are needed to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Why? Why change election procedures? Why change the times that polls will be open? Why change the way in which absentee ballots are processed? Why change the requirements for establishing identity? Why change the rules for where students can vote?

I'd love to hear any reasonable explanation besides "because we're trying to make it more difficult for certain traditionally liberal/Democratic voters to vote."

G'head.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Thank you for re-posting my thoughts!

To those that do not understand, here is the crux of the issue:

This is an issue about the poor, not minorities. Let me explain.

Poor people can not afford cars or public transportation (to go get an ID), nor can they afford the ID cards themselves, etc and so on.

Are most of these people in the "majority" (i.e., white)?

No. That is where confusion comes in.

Liberal thinking folks (like myself) tend to equate poorness with minorities; which I have come to understand is racist in and of itself, as there are plenty of poor white folk too.

Are there racist politicians that neglect the white poor in order to move forward their racist agenda? you bet; but they are also a minority of our politicians....at least I hope.

Now, the issue is ID requirement. Should a SS# suffice? why or why not? I say yes. here is why: A SS card is the only federally required form of ID and it is FREE.

Should SS cards come with photo ID? In my opinion, yes they should; but they don't, now do they?

So change a simple law and make the federally mandated requirement of a SS card now come with a photo ID and the problem is solved....sorta.

Now comes the issue of updating the photo that goes on the regularly updated SS card. Do we create a whole new bureaucracy to handle SS photo IDs?

Good question!

It boils down to one simple question: Do we want Small government OR big government? Tough decision, huh??

Can we just mail in a recent photo or do we create a new undue burden on the poor by making them regularly travel (sometimes 100s of miles) just to update said photo?

Sometimes what seems right is all kinds of wrong; it's wrong for the right reasons and right for the right reasons.

I implore everyone to look at the FACTS; not some contortion of reality.

In reality, there is rarely a proven case of voter fraud; despite all attempts to prove otherwise. In reality, voter fraud has been proven to take place at a 50/50 rate between both Republicans and Democrats; even then it is so negligible that it constitutes a 0% rate of effectiveness. In reality, enforcing a voter ID law will cost "us" the taxpayer much more than we currently pay; and the benefit will (according to statistics) be nil.

So, are you for "BIG government" or "small government"? Before you answer, keep in mind: It's yours, mine, everyone's tax dollars that will be running a fool's errand!

Think about it; emotion out of the equation....ALL OF Y'ALL.

EDIT:

As a rhetorical question, I ask this:

Why can I buy a hunting licenses readily available at ANY Walmart, gun shop, sporting goods center, etc... BUT, my 87 year-old grandmother, living in far West Texas, has to drive 211-miles to go renew her photo ID AND vote? Insane but true.

Why? Are hunting rights THAT much more important than voting rights?
edit on 10-10-2014 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

THIS. THIS. THIS. this 1000x times, why can you Liberals NOT SEE THIS? It is simple freaking logic.

www.txdps.state.tx.us...

Free, you may get a an Election ID at ANY Drivers License location in Texas, it is FREE.

Once again, it is FREE

FREE.

What part of that do you guys not get. This is a blatant attempt to circumvent legal voting to get illegals to vote and have people vote more than one time.

(post by LeatherNLace removed for a manners violation)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join