It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannabis As Addictive As Heroin, Major New Study Finds

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Apologies if already posted.

Cannabis can be as addictive as heroin or alcohol, causes mental health problems and can lead to hard drug use, according to a major new study led by a leading British expert on addiction.

The Daily Mail quoted Prof Hall as saying: "If cannabis is not addictive, then neither is heroin or alcohol.
"It is often harder to get people who are dependent on cannabis through withdrawal than for heroin. We just don't know how to do it."
Less than half of users stay off the drug for six months or more following treatment, Prof Hall found.

Article

I've always believed, from experience, that marijuana can be both very beneficial and detrimental. Results may vary individual to individual, but I know for myself that quitting smoking cigarettes was far easier. I don't know if pot is more addictive than heroin. I have my doubts. Edited to make it perfectly clear that I am not promoting this article as truth.
edit on 7-10-2014 by Calalini because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Calalini

Results may vary individual to individual, but I know for myself that quitting smoking cigarettes was far easier.

For me cigarettes was the hardest. Being addicted to anything means one has an addictive personality. Blaming the substance for abuse is like blaming the gun for a murder.

+22 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this study is warped and agenda driven. I think even the stupidest, most anti-everything amongst us knows that stuff isn't addictive.

+22 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Another doctor towing the marijuana is as bad as heroin line. Wonder how much he was paid for that report? I have personally known people that were heavy marijuana users for years and quit cold turkey for things like a job, or change in their lifestyle, or because their wife said it's me or pot.

I doubt very much that someone who used heroin for years could do that.
Also to note the only bad side effect that any of them went through was losing a little weight from eating less if you can call that a negative side effect.
edit on 10/7/2014 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

Leading Anti-Marijuana Academics Are Paid By Painkiller Drug Companies
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I believe it is more addictive than people say but I don't think it is as addictive as heroin.

+16 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
"It is often harder to get people who are dependent on cannabis through withdrawal than for heroin. We just don't know how to do it."

It's not physically addictive, the only withdrawal might be some bitchiness.
Like if a person needs their morning coffee.

Sugar is more addictive than pot......

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite
I wouldn't doubt it.

However, isn't it interesting that few who support Cannabis (myself being one) ever acknowledge the negative side of using it? Those who live it as a lifestyle generally only see it as 'meds'. I can think of several ways marijuana has had detrimental effects on myself and persons who I know who also use it. Users generally do not want to discuss those aspects about marijuana.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
"Yes" There was a thread on this earlier.

and...

I've found that any brand "Birthday Cake" ice cream to be addictive. Luckily there are "addiction experts" that can help Me with this issue. Unfortunately for Me, being that I am indeed ADDICTED to this B'Day Cake ice cream, I run more risk of dying from 'My Jones' than someOne, somewhere, pushing a marijuana cigarette into their veins...

Are there "worse", for those who like to 'judge', habits to be addicted to? Maybe.. I'm a drunk who chooses not to drink and with Me and "others" like Me, I can actually handle My booze, (a lot of practice) but if I 'needed' to 'tighten up' which would You prefer I ab/use?

namaste

Personal feelings: If there are no more "addictions" Prof. Hall would then have to find some more... That'd suck and cut into His tea time... Is Ladbrokes™ taking a line on how much Euro$ this guy is getting from a tentacle of BigPHarma™? You don't think it is any different anywhere in the world do You?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
People who say Marijuana is not at all addictive are in denial, I knew this guy who claimed it was not and at the same time watching him on his hands and knees looking for little bits that fell on the floor covered in hair and dust saying he can't sleep without it lol I couldn't help but laugh at him.

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Lol...I have smoked on and off for years and all I can say is this is pure propaganda. It may be mentally addictive but not physically. I have never had a THC fit. Or gone through DT'S from not smoking pot.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
It's not physically addictive, the only withdrawal might be some bitchiness.
Like if a person needs their morning coffee.

Sugar is more addictive than pot......

Lol, maybe for a woman.

Also, while it may not technically be physically addicting, I have had extreme physical effects from quitting. Including nausea, weight loss (usually from 5-10 pounds!), alternating chills/heat sensations, insomnia, depression, sweating, moodiness, diarrhea, headaches..etc. I mean, literally sick. I thought this was insane, until I did some research, and I saw that these sort of extreme physical symptoms of withdrawal are not so uncommon after all. Lots of people report this sort of extremism. And I would get these same symptoms every single time I quit. And I have no trouble quitting. I have lots of willpower, but I can admit it was never easy. For myself, it's usually about 2-3 weeks before I start feeling healthy and mentally clear again. Again, I believe results may vary quite a bit, person to person.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Cannabis is mentally addictive where as Heroin and Alcohol are physically addictive , there is a big difference.
The claim that cannabis withdrawal is worse than heroin withdrawal is ridicules , I understand the author is experienced in the field but I wonder who is funding this study and whether his findings are tailored toward them rather than giving a balanced assessment.

It's all a game of swings and roundabouts but I've found alcohol a far more destructive drug both mentally and physically , it's also claimed the life of three of my friends.

Personally I find giving up chocolate biscuits harder than the green stuff.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: kurthall
And you may not be aware of this, but people experience addiction and using differently. I have gone through extreme withdrawal symptoms, but then I was always a very heavy smoker.

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Thank you professor hall for teaching british children that...

HEROINE IS AS SAFE AS POT!

Unbelievable really...

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I'm just gonna put this out there.

There are times when swim has cannabis and wants to use some then might go Days without using it while swim still has it in their possession. If it's that addictive how can there exist a casual user that has maintained that casual status over more than 20 years of use?

It leads to use of hard drugs. I know people that use hard drugs that have never used cannabis. Because of how long it says in the system and need their job, but the hard stuff is in and out in 3 Days. To that point cannabis does not induce paranoia, Cannabis Laws that should not exist induce the paranoia.

A Heroin user HAS to use, if they go even half a day they are SICK, throwing up their guts sick! Cannabis "addicts" might, MIGHT get grumpy. That is a HUGE gap between symptoms. No cannabis user has ever in the history of mankind, robbed or murdered because he needed a fix.

It's all crazy talk of the truly delusional trying to impose their will on others... Nothing to see here just the same rehashed crap they have force fed us forever... Move along.
edit on 7-10-2014 by wastedown because: same as always... grammar

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex
And yet, you can google around and see plenty of testimonials from people who have some fairly extreme withdrawal symptoms from quitting. What's true for some, is not true for others.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
cigarettes and liquor are huge population killers red meat mcdonalds all that. if u smoke like once a week you will always be enlightened. my 2 cents

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
As mj gains social acceptance and undergoes decriminalization in more areas, the campaign of totally ridiculous bogus made up horsesh!t ramps up exponentially. Big Pharma is filling it's pants worried that it will supplant their expensive poison pills as more medical benefits are revealed. "As addictive as heroin"...hilarious!

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I heard that some are more addicted to money from lying than addicted to actually do their damn job properly.

The known cure is ridiculizing and dismissing the World Health Organisation.

One in six teenagers who regularly smoke cannabis become dependent on it, as are one in ten regular adult users

1 on 6?? 1 on 10???
So is that suppose to count to "as addictive than heroin" ?
Krispy Kreme donuts are more addictive than this, TV shows are more addictive...

Is there actually something in the world, that's pleasurable to humans, that less than 1 on 6 become addicted?
No, simply no.
edit on 7-10-2014 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join