It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannabis As Addictive As Heroin, Major New Study Finds

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

adviser to the World Health Organisation, links use of cannabis to a wide range of harmful side-effects, from mental illness to lower academic attainment to impaired driving ability.

Just wanted to point out there's no basis for this in reality. this is all propaganda, links of links not a study, with nothing new. Show me the study to where marijuana impairs driving? Lowers your academic attainment? Causes Mental Illness?

Takes me straight back to the 40's LOL

(post by Speckle removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Sorry, but it's just not true, that everyone who smokes on a regular basis only gets a little grumpy when they quit, and that's it. I'm not saying the article is true, that it's harder than quitting heroin. I've never done heroin, and never will. I'm just saying, I've experienced much worse than grumpiness as a heavy user (many physical symptoms), and I've seen other potheads go through similar stuff. These are the kind of arguments I hear from people who will never acknowledge that there are detrimental effects to using marijuana, usually because they are addicted themselves.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Calalini

What's true for some, is not true for others.

I agree which is why I believe that education is a more effective tool than criminalisation , anything done to excess is bad for you whether that's eating , smoking or drinking , just because some people have a problem is that any reason to ban it for all ?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Calalini

originally posted by: snowspirit
It's not physically addictive, the only withdrawal might be some bitchiness.
Like if a person needs their morning coffee.

Sugar is more addictive than pot......

Lol, maybe for a woman.

Also, while it may not technically be physically addicting, I have had extreme physical effects from quitting. Including nausea, weight loss (usually from 5-10 pounds!), alternating chills/heat sensations, insomnia, depression, sweating, moodiness, diarrhea, headaches..etc. I mean, literally sick. I thought this was insane, until I did some research, and I saw that these sort of extreme physical symptoms of withdrawal are not so uncommon after all. Lots of people report this sort of extremism. And I would get these same symptoms every single time I quit. And I have no trouble quitting. I have lots of willpower, but I can admit it was never easy. For myself, it's usually about 2-3 weeks before I start feeling healthy and mentally clear again. Again, I believe results may vary quite a bit, person to person.

Sounds like you just got sick after stopping. I haven't smoked for a week+ and have yet to feel any effects physical or mental.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Sorry, but it's just not true, that everyone who smokes on a regular basis only gets a little grumpy when they quit, and that's it. I'm not saying the article is true, that it's harder than quitting heroin. I've never done heroin, and never will. I'm just saying, I've experienced much worse than grumpiness as a heavy user (many physical symptoms), and I've seen other potheads go through similar stuff. These are the kind of arguments I hear from people who will never acknowledge that there are detrimental effects to using marijuana, usually because they are addicted themselves.

How is this related to cannabis and why should cannabis be illegal because you cant handle it while I can?

I cant handle alcohol or tobacco, heck, I cant even handle COFFEE! Caffeine fcks me up.

De you see me telling people who have zero issues with coffee that "ITS REALLY BAD, IT GIVES ME ISSUES, DONT DRINK IT MAN"?

No, i dont care, i think people should be educated about the risks and proper services should be put in place to help those that cant handle it alone and do have personal problems with their drug of (wrong) choice.

Its not for everybody but nothing is!! This idea that the glove needs to fit everybody is ridiculous because that one is per definition not going to fit me either!!

And by the way, regarding cannabis and psychological issues, im getting tired of the f'ed up rhetoric being used all the time. IT IS A COMMON FEAT FOR PEOPLE WITH PSYCH ISSUES TO SELF MEDICATE, being with alcohol, cannabis, or any other drug. This is not a valid argument against legalisation, they will self medicate either way!! The poor ill people are being abused in statistics for wrong and twisted reasons.
edit on 7-10-2014 by NoNameNeeded because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Excuse Me for asking... Are You related to Prof. Hall? It sure appears as if You have something personal in this???

The reason I ask is that in One of Your rebuttals it reads: "I have these symptoms every time I quit.. And I have no trouble quitting..." Then You haven't quit. That is like if I typed "Overeating is easy to quit, I've done it a dozen times..." Are You trying to convince Us or YourSelf? If You did have a greater handle of 'willpower' like You typed, wouldn't a "quit" be a "quit"? To Me, a 'common passerby' it reads as if You just spread out Your uses??

So what is it? You'd experience the same "extremism" each time You quit, yet You started up again? does that read like a lot of willpower or a little?

And by ALL means if You find these questions uncomfortable and/or don't feel like answering them then that is "fine" as I have nothing to prove/dis-prove/sell

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Show me evidence of a Weedhead looking anything like a crackhead out trying to get a fix. If it is as "addicting" as you are attempting to portray the world would be in a whole lot worse condition than it is. I have lived an "alternative lifestyle" for near 25 years and never once came in contact with someone showing ANY signs of physical "Withdrawls", not once. There maybe a tiny part of the population that think they are physically addicited, ill give you that. I understand the mind can do powerful stuff, placebos often cause results, people can be convinced of many things.

It is simply put not in the chemical make up of Cannabis to cause physical changes to the brain. The mechanisms are not there to force physical changes like with Heroin.

I will say YES it is mentally addictive, physically NO. Mental addiction is strong and the mind can do powerful things like I just said, but to say Cannabis is just as physically as Heroin is like comparing Oranges to Waffles.

reply to: Calalini

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: corvuscorrax

My experience is when someone on ATS or another medium tries to tell their personal story about how they used to be addicted to 'the pot', they are full of BS.

I know of many daily smokers who have had to quit for various reasons and none suffered from the withdraws that a heroin(painpills too!), coke, nicotine, alcohol, or even SUGAR addict experiences.

This is likely a bogus study paid by those who profit the most from cannabis prohibition.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

Excuse Me for asking... Are You related to Prof. Hall? It sure appears as if You have something personal in this???

The reason I ask is that in One of Your rebuttals it reads: "I have these symptoms every time I quit.. And I have no trouble quitting..." Then You haven't quit. That is like if I typed "Overeating is easy to quit, I've done it a dozen times..." Are You trying to convince Us or YourSelf? If You did have a greater handle of 'willpower' like You typed, wouldn't a "quit" be a "quit"? To Me, a 'common passerby' it reads as if You just spread out Your uses??

So what is it? You'd experience the same "extremism" each time You quit, yet You started up again? does that read like a lot of willpower or a little?

And by ALL means if You find these questions uncomfortable and/or don't feel like answering them then that is "fine" as I have nothing to prove/dis-prove/sell

Exactly.

There is very likely an underlying issues that is blamed on the cannabis instead of dealing with the issues, then...

Withdrawal after heavy use, repeatedly, is an indication of deeper rooted issues, just saying. You're shmokin the pain away, unwillingly possibly?

Apologies if this is completely wrong, but i do agree with jim here

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I'm pro-legalization. The laws only exacerbate the problem.

But when I stopped worshiping marijuana like I needed it to survive a day in life, I found I was able to look at all of its effects, not just the positive ones. For example, even as a smoker, it occurred to me that having a pot-induced elevated heartrate and bloodpressure, day in and day out for years, probably wasn't good for my physical body, just as it also occurred to me that the drastic way in which pot changed my attitude and thinking patterns, as a heavy, every day smoker, may not be so enlightening and healthy for my mind after all, as I thought it would/should. Of course, most smokers will never acknowledge this kind of stuff. That's fine. People can and should live however they want to live.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Perhaps this is how you and your friends normally are and cannabis simply makes you guys much more chill. Some self medicate with cannabis to curb their natural grumpiness.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
More pure bullsnip propaganda from the heroin pushing medical industry.....
They Lie.................

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Edit: This was a reply to Jim.

I don't smoke any more. I do have something personal in this, as I've already relayed my own stories? You might want to dial back the tone just a tad. I read the article on that site while reading another article. I'm not related to anyone in the article in any way whatsoever. I don't smoke pot anymore. I did notice over the years of quitting (in which I quit for a few years, started up a few years, etc... I'm old now), that I had the same extreme physical symptoms after bouts of long term smoking. I am merely pointing out, from research and personal experience, that when people say addiction withdrawal only amounts to a bit of grumpiness that this is just not true. Yes, I have tons of willpower, but I have nothing to prove to you either way. Again, I am pro-legalization.
edit on 7-10-2014 by Calalini because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Speckle

I and I don't know what You mean but also agree w/Your above opinion...

Original Poser... Ooops Original Poster-

It should also be noted that in My Fed./State law enforcement career, I NEVER dealt w/an addict 'coming down' from cannabis. I NEVER dealt with a male who used cannabis and then beat up His female. I NEVER went to a 211 p.c. Robbery because the 'weed addict' had to support His habit.

I DID find 2 teens who thought "synthetic marijuana" would be a 'safer alternative' one still wears a diaper.

To make it interesting.. I will give You $10 for every person that You can prove died from ingesting cannabis, since they have collected written facts. You give Me .10¢ for every person who has died using their cell phone in the last year...

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: wastedownIf it is as "addicting" as you are attempting to portray the world would be in a whole lot worse condition than it is.

I just posted an article. Please don't put words and opinions in my mouth. I hate to point it out to you, but the world really is in pretty bad shape. I think we can agree it's not marijuana's fault.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite
I wouldn't doubt it.

However, isn't it interesting that few who support Cannabis (myself being one) ever acknowledge the negative side of using it? Those who live it as a lifestyle generally only see it as 'meds'. I can think of several ways marijuana has had detrimental effects on myself and persons who I know who also use it. Users generally do not want to discuss those aspects about marijuana.

Oh, absolutely. But the same can be said for cake.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium
I NEVER dealt w/an addict 'coming down' from cannabis.

Come on, man. I wasn't rolling around strapped to a bed going thru withdrawal either. I'm just saying I had physical withdrawal symptoms (FROM A MENTAL ADDICTION) that went beyond the old 'grumpiness', and I know others have experienced this as well. Stop with the hyperbole.

I NEVER dealt with a male who used cannabis and then beat up His female. I NEVER went to a 211 p.c. Robbery because the 'weed addict' had to support His habit.

I DID find 2 teens who thought "synthetic marijuana" would be a 'safer alternative' one still wears a diaper.

To make it interesting.. I will give You $10 for every person that You can prove died from ingesting cannabis, since they have collected written facts. You give Me .10¢ for every person who has died using their cell phone in the last year...

If you want to make it out to be Jesus, that's your right, and that's perfectly fine by me. You do understand that I am pro-legalization, right? Right??
edit on 7-10-2014 by Calalini because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

It is not "addictive". Maybe psychologically, but you can be psychologically addicted to scratching your butt. These studies by big pharma are laughable. This is the same smear campaign that has always been used. It's deceitful.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join