It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannabis As Addictive As Heroin, Major New Study Finds

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
It's irresponsible to put out information like this. We don't want our kids getting mixed up over what is more harmful, pot or smack. Some may have tried pot and realised its not harmful or addictive, so why not give heroin a try. Clear distinctions need to be made between different drugs.

I am astounded by your perspective, simply because we know very little about marijuana and the brain in general. To promote marijuana as a recreational drug itself is not responsible. Especially in regards to teenagers and brain development. I am astounded that you condemn one perspective and promote the other equally ill-founded paradigm.

To promote marijuana as less harmful as heroin, but still somehow ok is ludicrous. I'll bet you have no problem condemning big pharma for promoting psychotic medicines and anti-depressants, and rightfully so. We are barely scratching the surface with knowledge of the brain and the mind. To claim these drugs can cure our ills when we don't even know the causes or how these drugs really affect our biology is the kind of thinking that brought about lobotomies.

But hey, Marijuana is awesome. Better to teach our kids it's ok and a lot less harmful than heroin and drinking.

This way of thinking deeply flawed (IMHO).

We know next to nothing about pot and the brain/body biology.

Again, propaganda also comes from the pro-marijuana side. You know, the guys who are gearing up marry pot and big business. They are making studies too, I'm sure. When we see a study that promotes marijuana, none of you ever check the sources there either, I'll bet.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
]
edit on 7-10-2014 by Calalini because: Posting too much. Posters will be more annoyed by this than the actual discussion. LOL

edit on 7-10-2014 by Calalini because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Calalini

my approach is more about education rather than fear mongering. I suggest you read my post again, nowhere have I promoted marijuana I never would , I was highlighting the dangers of fear mongering, which you seemed to ignore in your little rant.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: wastedown
You posted an article and MANY replies now stating that you have physical withdrawls from cannabis as described in the linked article. Don't get offended if you don't like my reply. If you feel like I'm being aggressive to you personally, that is on you. I'm simply arguing an opposing view to the study that YOU posted. It's your thread partner.

Look, "partner", I was never offended by anything. It's a discussion, and I've read at least two of your replies that are a tad condescending, and just a tad trollish, as well. Your opposing view is fine, and welcome, but the "partner" crap, and the button pushing that any idiot can read in your first reply to me is not. If you want to debate in a civil respectful tone, that's one thing, but don't fart in my direction and then play obtuse. And what the hell does how many times I've posted have to do with anything? I started the thread.

Believe it or not, I have a pretty firm grasp on the condition of the world I live in. I hate to point it out to you again, but if weed was truly as addictive as this study(I think we all recognize your guilt by association) claims the world would be in MUCH WORSE condition. Considering the high percentage of Earthlings who admit they are users, if the physical symptoms are as stated here, we would be in trouble. People to sick to work everywhere, vomit in the streets, homeless everywhere! It would be chaos! Jim said it right earlie people don't go to the extremes of robbing, killing etc. to get some herb, it just doesn't happen & as they say, the proof is in the puddin'. No one chooses buying cannabis over feeding your children, a true physical addiction has pushed people to that and much much worse.

A lot of this is hyperbole (again). I'll just say this. I've know plenty of lower income pot heads with children that would buy a bag of pot (every f'ing week, like clockwork) to feed their addiction rather than give their kids what they need. People do the same thing with cigarattes, for Christ's sake. I've seen tons of idiots who grew pot in states with severe cultivation laws that threw their lives and their families lives down the toilet because pot came first. They are never thinking of their family first! Prison are full of idiots, yes, pot users, who were more worried about smoking pot, growing pots, and the laws, than being responsible to themselves, much less their familties.

So, again, I know that what you stated isn't true, I've seen it a zillion times in my own life as well, and I couldn't disagree with you more. We'll have to agree to disagree.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr

my approach is more about education rather than fear mongering. I suggest you read my post again, nowhere have I promoted marijuana I never would , I was highlighting the dangers of fear mongering, which you seemed to ignore in your little rant.

I pointed out, quite clearly and concisely, why I believe there is a serious flaw in your argument. We'll have to agree to disagree.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

So the OP was a honey pot. Figures. The studies HAVE been done. The stats are in. This premise was blown out of the water before it began.

As to your zillions of pothead "whatevers", may I recommend moving to a better area because that isn't normal.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

So, its not in human nature to become addicted to something that makes you feel good?

My good friend and neighbor has been smoking pot for the past 7 years, and all its done is make him go downhill. Everything in the study is true in my mind based on what I've seen, of him and his other friends.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I started smoking cigarettes and pot like ten years ago give or take. I've "quit" pot at least a dozen times and quit cigarettes only once for a couple weeks. Within the last few months I've been trying to better myself. I've dropped every addictive habit I had like eating out and drinking lots of sugared iced tea as well as smoking pot. I haven't made the tiniest debt in cigarettes. Cigarettes and alcohol are far more addictive than pot. It does vary from person to person though.

edit on 7-10-2014 by tavi45 because: auto correct mistake

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: IntroduceALittleIrony

My best friend from childhood was a chronic pot smoker for 40 years up until he died from an unrelated cause. He owned his own successful business, several houses which he rented out for profit, and was generally one of the most motivated intelligent individuals I've ever known. You may ask what he'd have been like if he didn't smoke, but I'd say he did all right.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

That is just a flat out lie...

Prof Hall should actually try cannabis... Then try Heroin and see if he comes to the same conclusion...

How is it that some professors are idiots?

Oh right... they get paid to be idiots

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I advocate pot use by teenagers and even children as young as 12. Hell just about anyone could benefit.

FLAME ON!

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I like smoking marijuana but I smoke for weeks and quit for weeks at a time. My impression is that most weed smokers prefer to be high, but are physically ok if they are not. Tobacco, heroin, and alcoholics physically have withdrawals which can be life threatening if they go without.

Marijuana may be psychologically addictive but so is food or having your water bottle around all the time or exercising. Marijauna cannot be conflated with powder drugs or tobacco or alcohol. This is propaganda plain and simple.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Dr. Hall

More on Dr. Hall

Milton Keynes Club response

Dr. Hall, IMO, is probably protecting his livelihood. His field is addictive substances...While I'm sure there is probably some merit to his "study" I haven't been able to find any links to this study, nor any peer reviews of it. I honestly have no dog in this fight, as I'm not a user, nor will I be a user even when it is eventually legalized. I just think it's silly to fight something on the basis of it's addictive properties, when alcohol is legal and almost ubiquitous.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
A reply to: Calalini

And the truth comes out...
Earlier it was "I support legalization" and "was just posting an article", as soon as people started speaking out against the articles findings. You caveat that with bits about how you personally suffered from several physical withdrawal from weed to the likes of a heroin user (it's not like on TV trust me), so you support that part of the article that you"only first read earlier today (whatever that was supposed to prove)". You can't play both sides of the ball.

I'm from Texas and you think I'm taking a swing at you for saying "Partner"? You call me a troll and get super defensive like some one caught in a lie, because you read to much into what I write? Like I said earlier my posts were not aimed at you I was expressing an opposing view to this article as it seems are the majority of members posting. That was until this one, take it personally please. Rinse the sand from your vagina and move on.

Now you rant on about how you have witnessed it destroy countless lives and wrecking our world when earlier it was "I'm sure we can both agree was not caused by marijuana". Pick a side and stay there, you are derailing your own thread and as a side note you will never be able to make everyone like you by this type of behavior. Most people like to know that their friends are'nt gonna flip flop from one side to another, they want someone who will stick to their guns.

You can moan about people attacking you all you want, until you present some real evidence that weed is as physically addictive as heroin my view will stay the same... That is what we are discussing here right? Pick a freaking side!
edit on 7-10-2014 by wastedown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I used to smoke it everyday and just quit..I didn't think "Oh I really need a smoke" at all.
I may have the odd one If around certain pals but I just grew out of it.
Of course kids shouldn't use it and seeing what it can do to undeveloped minds I think only over 21 year olds should take it.
The thing is is that your brain has very similar chemical compounds and stuff in as MJ...booze doesn't neither the big H.
Like anything moderation is the key.

TBH it is amazing to find out how many people use it.
I know doctors, nurses and many health care workers who have the odd puff.
Some people can handle stuff and some can't.
edit on 7-10-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this study is warped and agenda driven. I think even the stupidest, most anti-everything amongst us knows that stuff isn't addictive.

Really.. I have seen many a young person that I grew up with
a slave to the weed..
Oh and one guy wrecked his house because he couldn't get any.

Many others I have known, openly admit to being addicted and non functional with out it.

Hash is addictive.. as to whether it is more addictive than heroin is open to question..

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
ANYONE on this planet that can make a claim like Weed is as addictive as heroin is either ignorant of both... Or pushing their own personal agenda...

Weed might have certain addictive properties... but it is nothing like heroin... PERIOD!

Cigarettes are Almost as addictive as heroin...

And anyone that has ever been addicted to cigarettes can understand the gravity of that statement

Don't listen to this garbage people

Weed is NOT EVEN CLOSE to addictive compared to heroin...

This is coming from personal experience...

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I don't use the stuff myself, but know people who do. I'm not against cannabis, I am however staunchly against "weed culture". (I haven't seen something as stupid since, well never.)

I'm not just going to toss the information you posted out the window because it goes against my beliefs as many will, but I truly have to question the honesty behind the paper this doctor is pushing. I have several friends and acquaintances that have "tried" cannabis and decided it wasn't for them. (Primarily because they don't smoke and are against the actual smoking action more than anything else.) If cannabis was truly as addictive, wouldn't they have a harder time not touching the stuff? They literally tried it once, put it down and haven't touched it again.

I can't say many can claim the same when it comes to heroin. Also, intrptr, that's not quite true and you know it. Tobacco has nicotine which causes the addiction, it's not because someone chooses to continue smoking. (I don't smoke, but my GF does, as well as the majority of my family.)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

I saw a pal of mine coming of H...scary he would have done anything for a hit.
I have never seen a pot head go through anything like that.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

I would gladly challenge anyone who can make such a retarded claim like this...

This "professor" has no idea what hes talking about

I find it very obvious this guy was paid by someone to report such bogus findings

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join