It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberia to prosecute US Ebola man

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

The Liberian authorities say they will prosecute the man diagnosed with Ebola in the US, accusing him of lying over his contact with an infected relative.

When he left the country last month, Liberian national Thomas Eric Duncan filled in a questionnaire saying that none of his relatives were sick.

But Liberia's assistant health minister said he had taken a sick relative to a clinic in a wheelbarrow.

Mr Duncan is in a serious condition in a Dallas hospital.

"We wish him a speedy recovery; we await his arrival in Liberia" to face prosecution, Binyah Kesselly, the chairman of the board of directors of the Liberia Airport Authority, said.

Mr Duncan's is the first case of Ebola to be diagnosed on US soil.

www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 2-10-2014 by Boeing777 because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu Oct 2 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed link

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Source isn't working

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boeing777

Here, let me help you...
Link

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Boeing777

Will be be returning to Liberia? Once he returns, they'll persecute him apparently. Waste of resources.

The Liberian authorities say they will prosecute the man diagnosed with Ebola in the US, accusing him of lying over his contact with an infected relative.

When he left the country last month, Liberian national Thomas Eric Duncan filled in a questionnaire saying that none of his relatives were sick.

BBC

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Sorry, my browser crashed while posting it.
edit on 2-10-2014 by Boeing777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

One would think that Liberia has more pressing matters to deal with rather than the prosecution of an infected man in Texas.
edit on 10/2/2014 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
IMO, I had a feeling something wasn't right. This was planned out with intentions to have the virus brought into the US with a fabricated story.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Exactly!

There are people dying on dirty streets, alone. It's heart wrenching, yet they're worried about this guy.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

I would think transnational bioterrorism would be a serious enough offense to warrant their concern.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
He didn't lie because apparently the women he assisted to the hospital was not a relative. Conflicting stories.

Mr. Duncan, who was a family friend and also a tenant in a house owned by the Williams family, rode in the taxi in the front passenger seat while Ms. Williams, her father and her brother, Sonny Boy, shared the back seat, her parents said. Mr. Duncan then helped carry Ms. Williams, who was no longer able to walk, back to the family home that evening, neighbors said. “He was holding her by the legs, the pa was holding her arms and Sonny Boy was holding her back,” said Arren Seyou, 31, who witnessed the scene and occupies the room next to Mr. Duncan’s.

No wheelbarrow ride in this edition of the story but I found it odd such explicit detail was given about how the woman was transported.

New York Times News
edit on 2-10-2014 by hurdygurdy because: edit

edit on 2-10-2014 by hurdygurdy because: wheelbarrow ride

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

Soon those scenes could be right outside our windows BECAUSE of this one guy.

But, lets let our hearts bleed for this "one man" that brought this disease to the States rather than the millions of potential victims of his actions.

Typical.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

Good point. That didn't even cross my mind.

However, you would think that the alphabet agencies stateside would be all over that angle by now.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: hurdygurdy

Denver

Denver paper just says the form asks "anyone" infected. Lots of conflicting stories from every side it seems.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: hurdygurdy
Semantics.
"No, I did not help any relatives who had Ebola."
A kissing cousin to the word play of, "I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinsky!"

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

For the record - I do not think he did this as an act of terror. He did it because he was terrified. He knew he was infected and he knew his only chance was getting to the States for care.

What he will be charged with if anything is another matter.

The charges will probably be grounds for asylum in the US is my guess and I am sticking to that to the end

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus

He knew he was infected and he knew his only chance was getting to the States for care.

If that was the case though, you would think that he would have went straight to the hospital and admitted his contact with Ebola immediately. That leads me to think that he didn't believe that he had contracted ebola, or like you've stated, it was possibly a deliberate attempt to deliver ebola to America.

However, I seriously doubt it was a deliberate action.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Unless he knew he wasn't contagious until he had symptoms. Had he gone in straight away he could have been isolated and returned without care.

He went to the hospital as soon as he displayed symptoms. When they sent him away his nephew called CDC. Who does that? Someone that knows what they have.

ETA - I thought I made it clear that I do not think he was deliberately trying to bring it to the States. What charges he can face and the reasons for his actions are two separate things. I think he reacted out of fear in himself not to instill fear in others.

edit on 2-10-2014 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

GOOD! They should. This man knowingly put hundreds of people at risk and has, very possibly, started a deadly epidemic. He lied. He broke Liberian law. He should be prosecuted. The Liberian gov't has to be tough on him .... assuming he survives. Maybe the guy knew he was sick and wanted to escape a sure death sentence in Liberia so he got to the USA knowing we have better medicine and better hospitals?? whatever the reason, Liberia is correct to prosecute.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
No one knows the real story (or whether it's simply a story) but what we are being led to believe is that he risked the lives of his partner and his children(?) to preserve himself. Why not self isolate in a hotel room rather than expose his family to his disease, if in fact he came to the US to secure health care.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Looks like his family is just as careless about others and the ebola man is.

Ebola Patients Family Ordered To Stay Inside After Trying To Leave

They got caught trying to leave the property. The authorities had to lock them down inside. These people easily could be infected and yet they don't care about passing it to others.

So what happens in the future if there are hundreds of sucky people like this family ... all infected ... and all refusing to follow the law and stay self isolated? Talk about a freak'n mess!!

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join