It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glass cabinet opens and shatters at auction house – by itself

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Looks as if this place is trying to drum-up some bidness. I think it fake. sorry

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Cabinets with free hanging glass doors use tempered glass which is under high stress from the factory. Like the glass your side or back windows on your car are made of, which explode into tiny crumbles when broken. Different from your windshield which is made of laminated glass so that it won't explode into tiny crumbles, and different from "normal" glass that breaks into large sharp shards.

Those cabinets also use a small metal u-shaped clamp, one on the top, one on the bottom which has a screw that tightens down to secure the glass. They usually come with a pad for the glass so the tip of the screw doesn't actually touch the glass to avoid this exact thing from happening (breaking)

With the cabinet hanging open all the weight is hanging on two tiny pressure points, bad news for glass. If the screws were overtightened, there was a slight imperfection with the glass, or the wooden case warped ever so slightly to put some torque on that glass pane, it's going to shatter very very easily.

While cleaning my old entertainment center with the free hanging glass doors I placed the glass pane leaning up against the wall sitting on a towel. Went back to cleaning the cabinet, then all of the sudden the glass 15 feet away explodes while it was just sitting there, nothing fell on it or bumped it or anything.

They mentioned they were just about to sell/rent the case out to someone, they were probably cleaning it up and the glass got overstressed (leaning/pressing hard on the top of the cabinet for example) and over time the stress fracture spread and shattered the pane.

To me this seems like a completely normal situation, no ghosts or even hoaxing required. I wouldn't doubt the store is trying to get some free publicity though by hyping up a non-issue.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: James1982

yeah I think you may be right, also noticed on their website they now have a dedicated 'haunting' section on it which they are referring people to via youtube, good PR person no doubt, cudos to them I suppose

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Shenanigans, Look at the back of the cabinet, you can see a black line, the line right before the glass breaks gets bigger and then smaller again like something was moving to smash the glass (piston motion). This was in the second video.

originally posted by: spirit_horse
If you look at the 2nd video and look between the wall and the case (look at the light between the case and the wall) you will see something black come into the case from the room behind it. A HOAX if you ask me. That was a pole or something used to smash the glass. And the camera movement just finishes it off.

just saw this post, I agree there is something else going on there.
edit on 20-9-2014 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
This is my hometown, I shall keep an eye on local media.

2nd line.a reply to: Lady_Tuatha

edit on 21-9-2014 by excelents because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Some of the explanations in this thread are stupefying.

Seriously there is nothing wrong with saying " dont know " nobody will think less of you.

Looks to me like a door opening by itself and then smashing. Thats pretty weird in my books.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TiM3LoRd

Google spontaneous glass breakage and be prepared to be stupefied even more..

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
Looks as if this place is trying to drum-up some bidness. I think it fake. sorry

I doubt it, considering their business is renting glass cabinets for people to display priceless antiques in..not a good advertisment.

Not saying it is paranormal, but I do wish people would read the additional info before jumping to conclusions

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: destination now
I did read it.

Any publicity is good publicity. Again, as a paranormal investigator, I just don't see the paranormal at work here. If they can get some actual paranormal footage in the future, I will still think that this incident is either a hoax, or like an above posgter mentioned, glass exploding because of stress from the wood.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
a reply to: destination now
I did read it.

Any publicity is good publicity. Again, as a paranormal investigator, I just don't see the paranormal at work here. If they can get some actual paranormal footage in the future, I will still think that this incident is either a hoax, or like an above posgter mentioned, glass exploding because of stress from the wood.

Apologies for making the assumption that you didn't read the article, but whilst I also believe absolutely in the paranormal, I too don't believe that this incident is. I don't think it is a hoax either though, it just looks like the glass, for whatever reason just shattered.

I've had a half glass panel front door do that to me..well it was actually my daughter and her friends, but all they did was lean on the door, and the entire pane flew out, shattering as it came away from the frame..yes, I did some shouting for about 30 secs, until I realised they hadn't actually done anything to it, and it could have shattered like that at any point..even just closing or opening it.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
The pinch screws on the corner plate created a stress on the glass, maybe a gradual temperature change finally moved things enough to start a tiny crack and then boom..

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Lady_Tuatha

To everyone commenting on the shaky camera, first to those who somehow can't tell - yes, they filmed the monitor, see the time stamp at the top? The reflective quality of the screen? Pretty obvious guys. "Why is the cctv camera hand held?" Really?

To those asking why not use the "original footage," that's because, as someone pointed out in another thread here recently, you can't. Security cameras record to some weird format that can't just be popped into Windows Movie Maker and edited, or uploaded straight to YouTube - that would kind of defeat the purpose, being able to EDIT security footage, no? Yea.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join